Warranty Meter Ticking Down On First Adopter 811

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
Well I've got about two weeks for E* to demonstrate that they can fix my 811 with software updates. That's not likely to happen, so I'm screwed (i.e., stuck with the 811 I purchased last December and no warranty).

I considered pleading a case to get a replacement, but during a fixable problem episode last summer E* sent me a replacement. It was "re-manufactured" and looked worst than mine. Since the immediate problem then was solved, I just sent "somebody else's problem" back to them.

I'm guessing there are a few hundred, may thousand other E* customers in the same boat as I. Since E* has never admitted that any particular subset of 811s have inferior or less than adequate internals, there isn't any way to ensure a replacement unit is any better than the early production units we have. So our warranties expire and we are stuck with something that I'm sure someone in E* knows is a lemon.

I had hoped that one of the software updates last summer was the "be all" and "end all" of 811 software fixes. Then, when my 811 still mis-behaved, I could exercise my warranty rights. No such luck. The "promised land" is still a software revision or two away, so I still can't blame the prototype hardware and have any assurance a replacement isn't part of the same batch.

Back in summer, someone on this forum attempted to identity which units had a lot of problems and which ones seemed to have few or none. Seems like that never got completed or maybe was forced off due to infringement on proprietary information.

Yes this is a rant! My 811 with p282 software just froze and re-started itself (nice feature; I don't have to get up and press the button for 10 seconds) twice since the wife started watching. I got the usual load of s__t about why I had to hurry up and order the 811 when it first came out and how this has been the most disappointing component in our new A/V system.

Hey, we can make this the bartender thread. All the other folks with December warranty expirations on their 811 can come here and cry on their keyboards.

CarlB for $5.99 you can solve your warranty problem just sign up for DHPP when you need a repair and cancel if DISH can ever solve the problem. I used to be a happy DISH retailer but with the products they introduced last fall I had to switch most of my sales to Directv. As far as I am concerned the 311 and 510 are the only DISH products close to being saleable. Except for a couple minor glitches this fall Directv receivers have been perfect. I have a DISH 6000 I use strictly for OTA and 2 Directv HDTV receiver with subscriptions and 2 TiVos that have never needed a reboot.

Dish is moving HDTV to mpeg4 late next year. The 811 can barely function on mpeg2 streams. ALL the 811's will need to be replaced when Dish turn off the HDTV mpeg2 stream. The only reason I am considering staying with Dish is to see what their strategy is to replace the 811.

keith said:
Dish is moving HDTV to mpeg4 late next year. The 811 can barely function on mpeg2 streams. ALL the 811's will need to be replaced when Dish turn off the HDTV mpeg2 stream. The only reason I am considering staying with Dish is to see what their strategy is to replace the 811.
Keith, remember this will be a 4 year phase in phase out project. It will not happen over night. MPEG2 will continue to be active for years to come.

Yeah, but I suspect that the existing 811/921 and even 6000 customer base that supported E* in the beginning of HD are still gonna get screwed, and won't be able to see any new HD channels, and that any "upgrade" programs won't be worth squat.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but given E* history of treating the people that pay them money for a long time like they were crap, it's not likely.

nippjas said:
Keith, remember this will be a 4 year phase in phase out project. It will not happen over night. MPEG2 will continue to be active for years to come.

The 4 year timeline is for turning off mpeg2 HD AND SD streams. HDTV mpeg2 will be off sooner - and I believe a lot sooner. Even though Dish don't have many HD channels, they want that bandwidth for many more SD channels.

Let's see what happens. Plans made today are likely to change, so we can't predict the future of HD or the 811 with any confidence.

Wow! I didn't know what I had been missing :D I've been a DishNetwork customer for the last 7 years. In that time I've had a model 3000 receiver and a model 501 PVR; neither has ever even hiccuped. In fact, I can still plug that 7 year-old original $79 receiver in and it works; I'd say that's a helluva lot better luck than I have with legacy software on my computer (and that company is a ton bigger than Echostar).

I got a great deal on the 501 as a current customer when I bought it. I've never had billing problems and much to my amazement someone answers the doggone phone when I call Customer Service (no they don't know everything but for what they pay them I don't expect them to; but they've been polite and helpful always).

I just had an 811 installed this morning (which is why I'm reading this thread), the installer was courteous, quick and had a beautiful HD picture up on the set in no time. DishNetwork sent the receiver out for only the cost of the second receiver fee ($5/mo) and the HD package ($9.95/mo, and they cut that in half for 12 months); that seems like a good deal to me. :)

Guess my experience with DishNetwork has been great over the years; sorry to hear it hasn't gone as well for others. Especially when folks feel like they've been 'screwed'. Personally, I've never been involved with a large corporation that seems to take care of their customers as well as DishNetwork does. I've got thousands of dollars worth of MS software and I sure don't have a free 800 number to call when I've got a quick question.

Anyway, I don't work for Dish and I have no financial interest (other than paying my bill) in the company; just seems there should be some 'good news' once in a while.

Carl B said:
Well I've got about two weeks for E* to demonstrate that they can fix my 811 with software updates. That's not likely to happen, so I'm screwed (i.e., stuck with the 811 I purchased last December and no warranty).

I considered pleading a case to get a replacement, but during a fixable problem episode last summer E* sent me a replacement. It was "re-manufactured" and looked worst than mine. Since the immediate problem then was solved, I just sent "somebody else's problem" back to them.

I'm guessing there are a few hundred, may thousand other E* customers in the same boat as I. Since E* has never admitted that any particular subset of 811s have inferior or less than adequate internals, there isn't any way to ensure a replacement unit is any better than the early production units we have. So our warranties expire and we are stuck with something that I'm sure someone in E* knows is a lemon.

I had hoped that one of the software updates last summer was the "be all" and "end all" of 811 software fixes. Then, when my 811 still mis-behaved, I could exercise my warranty rights. No such luck. The "promised land" is still a software revision or two away, so I still can't blame the prototype hardware and have any assurance a replacement isn't part of the same batch.

Back in summer, someone on this forum attempted to identity which units had a lot of problems and which ones seemed to have few or none. Seems like that never got completed or maybe was forced off due to infringement on proprietary information.

Yes this is a rant! My 811 with p282 software just froze and re-started itself (nice feature; I don't have to get up and press the button for 10 seconds) twice since the wife started watching. I got the usual load of s__t about why I had to hurry up and order the 811 when it first came out and how this has been the most disappointing component in our new A/V system.

Hey, we can make this the bartender thread. All the other folks with December warranty expirations on their 811 can come here and cry on their keyboards.

Carl, I am with you also. On Dec. 21st. My 811 warranty will expire and I'll be a "Free Agent" because my commitment will be up also.

The last SW abortion was the final confirmation that E*'s 811 box has yet to operate as advertised. I did come over to E* because of the free 811, so my level of frustration will never be as bad as the folks who paid for the unit.

Everyone will have to make a decision to either stay on and cross your fingers as every new SW update gets downloaded and live with the problems or take their business elsewhere.

And as our friends in England would say "well that's the Rub"

As the saying goes: you can't please all of the people all of the time.
So you try to please most of the people most of the time.

So I guess that if you are please most of the time you would stay. And those who are not pleased most of the time will go just like musical chairs.

Folks from E* going to either D* or V* and folks coming from D* or V* and going to E*. Not to mention the cable companys. You read it all the time.

For me I guess I'll try the Cable chair with HD for locals and I know that someone from cable will take my chair and go to E* :confused:

It is a good thing that we have choices!

I thought the warranties on the 811 were only for 90 days?

My warranty runs out on the 12th this month if the warranty is for 1 year. Man, here I thought I was already out of warranty since March!

Anthony

Ahh...One of my several reasons for not changing providers - $1.99 per month extended warrantee on all equipment (Grandfathered). :D

NightRyder

I can tell you that every person gets a better deal than I got when I ordered HD (811). They charged me 49.95 and 9.95 a month for what little they have to offer. I can say I won't be around long if I don't get treated better. But I hear Voom a mess also.

I've been a E* customer for close to 6 years now, and overall I have very little to complain about in regards to equipment upgrades or customer offers.

I purchased my initial Dish 300 system from Dish Depot in January 1999. This included a Dish 300, Self Install Kit, 4700 and 2700 receivers. My total cost for all this was $0 plus a $50 credit on my first bill.

When E* came out with the Dish 500 I received a free upgrade with $25 shipping. Since I installed it myself they gave me a $25 credit on my next bill. Net cost to me $0.

I paid full price for my 501-DVR (pre-order) but traded my 2700 in for a $30 credit at Dish Depot. Net cost to me $249.

Added my 508 in 2003 for $149 through Dish. Retired my 4700 and sold for $70. Net cost to me $79.

Added my 811 at the beginning of 2004 for $149 including install. Dish upgraded my legacy LNBF's on my 500 and 300 (for 148)to DishPro and Installed a DP34. Sold my legacy LNBF's and switches for $45. Net cost to me $109.

Let's see so far I've invested $387 and I have a Dish 500, Dish 300, DishPro Twin LNBF, DishPro Dual LNBF, DishPro 34 switch, Dish 501, Dish 508, Dish 811. I've also signed up 4 people through club dish for total programming credits of $240. That brings my investment down to $147.

I won't even count the 6 months of Showtime I received free, or all of the free PPV certificates they've given me over the years. All of this is a damn site more than I ever received from my podunk cable company in 13 years as a customer. So while I will agree Dish has their share of problems I really can't complain (too much) ;) .

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts