Was D* 12 a disappointment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Im gonna disagree on the speed, at least for my setup. I have DSL, and I can hit full bar Vudu HDX which looks GREAT, I think it's either the Roku's 720p (Amazon looks good though), or Hulu plus just needs some work.

I agree with elway, vudu HDX looks GREAT. I lean towards the equipment and what it does to the feed based on that.

The max in my area with
DSL is 3 MBPS :(
Cable is 15 MBPS :eek:

We don't have the option for Fois , or the ADSL that Verizon offers.

Couple towns away , Verizon offers 4 - 7 MBPS ADSL plans.

Fios is about 60 miles away from me.:(

Once my Verizon contract is up in April, I'll be switching to cable for my internet and phone!

All I have is Mediacom (12mbps and 20mbps) as a better option (same price for 12mbps as 6mbps DSL). Unfortunately, the street is new, and they refuse to go from my neighbors house (has mediacom HSI) to mine. F'n stupid.

I hate DSL.

Yea my Cable Company is Blue Ridge Communications, They have a 1.5mbps,5 mbps,10 mbps and a 15 mbps.

DSL is 1.5 and 3 mbps plans only.

I'm really thinking of switching to cable for everything.
Right now I can get Unlimited phone and G10 service which is 10 MBPS with cable for $50 for 1 year, with NO commitment, Then its $80 after that. Still not bad IMO.
I pay that now with slow DSL and Vonage.

I don't think D12 is a disappointment totally, But the amount of locals in my "Real" DMA is really lacking against cable, and Cable right now after using my nephew's HD DVR "Scientific Atlanta" it works way better then any HD DVR I've used yet from D*, and his equipment and install was totally free with Digital cable.

Now you can expand their DVR capacity as well.
NFL ST, is really the only thing keeping me here.

And even that's not really a factor, since my Eagles are in my DMA.

Right now, I feel D* isn't really lacking too much Except , Limited locals,VOD,Comcast Philly, and the HR 23's that I want to toss out the window sometimes.

I'm really getting near the end of my satellite tv road.

Yea my Cable Company is Blue Ridge Communications, They have a 1.5mbps,5 mbps,10 mbps and a 15 mbps.

DSL is 1.5 and 3 mbps plans only.

I'm really thinking of switching to cable for everything.
Right now I can get Unlimited phone and G10 service which is 10 MBPS with cable for $50 for 1 year, with NO commitment, Then its $80 after that. Still not bad IMO.
I pay that now with slow DSL and Vonage.

Hey small world, I'm at the in laws today in Northeast Pennsylvania, in Lords Valley (Near Hawley) and They have Blue Ridge Cable for TV, and crappy 1.5 mbps Verizon DSL for internet.

I like the SA boxes, at least the passport software seems pretty speedy and refined compared to the software that other cable companies use. Everything moves around the screen pretty smoothly with screen elements fading in and the grid sliding very smooth. They have quite a few HD channels we don't have on DirecTv either. Last night the wife was browsing Blue Ridge on demand and she said "I really miss on demand". We used to have Comcast before we moved, but picked up DirecTv because Comcast wasn't in that area.

Hey small world, I'm at the in laws today in Northeast Pennsylvania, in Lords Valley (Near Hawley) and They have Blue Ridge Cable for TV, and crappy 1.5 mbps Verizon DSL for internet.

I like the SA boxes, at least the passport software seems pretty speedy and refined compared to the software that other cable companies use. Everything moves around the screen pretty smoothly with screen elements fading in and the grid sliding very smooth. They have quite a few HD channels we don't have on DirecTv either. Last night the wife was browsing Blue Ridge on demand and she said "I really miss on demand". We used to have Comcast before we moved, but picked up DirecTv because Comcast wasn't in that area.
I Agree, Blue Ridge Cable has come a long way. Their HD PQ is just as good as D* as well.
Impressed.

I don't think D12 is a disappointment totally, But the amount of locals in my "Real" DMA is really lacking against cable, and Cable right now after using my nephew's HD DVR "Scientific Atlanta" it works way better then any HD DVR I've used yet from D*, and his equipment and install was totally free with Digital cable.

Now you can expand their DVR capacity as well.
NFL ST, is really the only thing keeping me here.

And even that's not really a factor, since my Eagles are in my DMA.

Right now, I feel D* isn't really lacking too much Except , Limited locals,VOD,Comcast Philly, and the HR 23's that I want to toss out the window sometimes.

I'm really getting near the end of my satellite tv road.

I hope the cable tv in your area implements switched digital video better than mine. I see lots of complaints about it in my local area thread on avsforum. Stuff like heavy pixelation and times when the signal is out completely. I also understand your frustration with the HR23 (the HR22 in my bedroom drives me insane sometimes) but I wish you give the HR24 a try. Everything you read indicates it is much better than the other D* HR2xs. However, I'm aware that you haven't been willing to pay for the pleasure and I can understand that. For me, I anticipate getting a work bonus at the end of this year or the beginning of next year and if I get that, I intend to replace the last two SDTVs with HDTVs and replace my two R16s with HR24s for use in my living room and bedroom while the other HD DVRs get relocated elsewhere in the house.

I hope the cable tv in your area implements switched digital video better than mine. I see lots of complaints about it in my local area thread on avsforum. Stuff like heavy pixelation and times when the signal is out completely. I also understand your frustration with the HR23 (the HR22 in my bedroom drives me insane sometimes) but I wish you give the HR24 a try. Everything you read indicates it is much better than the other D* HR2xs. However, I'm aware that you haven't been willing to pay for the pleasure and I can understand that. For me, I anticipate getting a work bonus at the end of this year or the beginning of next year and if I get that, I intend to replace the last two SDTVs with HDTVs and replace my two R16s with HR24s for use in my living room and bedroom while the other HD DVRs get relocated elsewhere in the house.
I shouldn't have to pay D* anything extra for a properly working HD DVR.

So Yes, I'm not willing to spend $199 extra on 1 of a possible 3 HR24's that my setup would require.

Directv isn't willing to trade off there HR 24, for my HR 23.
Thats fine!
I just most likly won't bother dealing with satellite at all.

I guess if my cable company was comcast, Maybe then D* would still be the Leader, But as of now, Cable is gotten a lot better, and the costs differences are so small, that I'll take Cables internet speeds over anything D* has right now with Verizon and WildBlue.

Bottom line, I still don't think D12 was a disappointment, I'm starting to feel like Satellite TV is what the disappointment is.

D* has all the sports you could want, Except for comcast Philly, and all the rest of the sports come at a premium price. So, I guess i'm just getting tired and ready to just turn on the tv without the hassle of buggy HR-23,R15,R16, , Slow Verizon internet, and Crappy Sonic satellite music channels.

I miss my Dish Equipment, But I'll die before I ever subscribe to Dish Network again.

D*12 & More HD

If you look at D12 from a bandwidth angle it is a disapointment the satellite has transponder and power problems so I would say that it is a disapointment for D*. Less useable life in orbit so more expensive cost in the long run. As for more HD channels these media companies are demanding must carry for those HD channels when the sd contracts run out and at a higher cost for cable or satellite companies. Yea you will see more channels before its all said and done but you will be payin more and probably getting channels that you never watch. These media companies are demanding too much money and I think before its over you will see ala carte forced by a FCC ruling. The FCC has been flooded with complaints over rising costs I expect either ala carte or a mandated lower cost tier for lower income people. The cable companies in certain areas are already testing a lower cost basic service to apease the FCC and avoid a forced ruling.

I have not subscribed to hulu plus yet but the samples did not look that bad.

As it is now, aside from sports, my family is using the Roku about 80% of the time versus Directv. We record anything we watch anyway so seldom see things the day it airs. If Directv adds TCM, AMC and BBC my thinking will be different. But for now I only really feel a need for Directv for football. I don't like baseball PQ as much over the Roku but I can live with it.

Directv thinks it's smart to subordinate customer wants to what they would prefer customers to want. That really irks me.

I am not disappointed with D-12. Yes DIY-HD and AMC-HD along with FMC-HD would be nice but it wont get me to switch. My contract expired on November 1st. If I really wanted those channels then I could go to Dish. However, I subscribed to NFLST and MLBEI. No chance of that since I like my sports too much. I have Charter Triple play but there HD is lacking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts