Weber Smokey Mountain

Forgot to mention something about my recent smoke......

For the entire 15 hour cook, I didn't have to add 1 single bit of fuel to the charcoal ring throughout the session. That's right folks. For 15 hours, I got a steady 225°F burn out of 1 full charcoal ring. The charcoal I used was just the basic Kingsford brand.

I told my neighbor about this and he was amazed. He has an ancient off brand smoker and he goes through so much charcoal and is always fighting with maintaining temperatures on it. One of these days I'll get him to upgrade to the WSM...

Pickling salt is really nothing more than non-iodized table salt. You can find that in any grocery store.

Looking it up shows not only no iodine or anti-caking additives, but that it's fine, not coarse, and purer than normal.

However, your point is well made, and that is the fall back.

Got a rack of beef, and a rack of spares on the WSM. Pics to follow later.

Not some of my best work, but tasted very good. I was also dissappointed in the way the spares were cut from the store I normally buy them from. When I opened the packed, they were already somewhat trimmed, but they were also cut into sections. The beef ribs, well, I think I like the high heat method better on those.

Attachments

• IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Well, I did the Pernil yesterday and dare I say that I liked it more so than the low & slow basic rubbed pulled pork?!

My oh my did this turn out flavorful! I stabbed a bunch of slits all over the pork, then rubbed the garlic marinade all over, allowing some to penetrate the slits. I found Lump charcoal works better in trying to smoke at such a high temperature though. The briquettes tend to want to go down in temperature, while the lump remains hot. After apx 5 hours at 350°F, the pork reached a 180°F internal and I took it off and let it rest. While it didn't shread by touch (like it would by low and slow), it was still very tender and could've cut it with a butter knife. The pork remained juicy, was very flavorful and had a nice crispy outer crust not found on the low and slow method. Can't wait to do this one again!

Well, I did the Pernil yesterday and dare I say that I liked it more so than the low & slow basic rubbed pulled pork?!

My oh my did this turn out flavorful! I stabbed a bunch of slits all over the pork, then rubbed the garlic marinade all over, allowing some to penetrate the slits. I found Lump charcoal works better in trying to smoke at such a high temperature though. The briquettes tend to want to go down in temperature, while the lump remains hot. After apx 5 hours at 350°F, the pork reached a 180°F internal and I took it off and let it rest. While it didn't shread by touch (like it would by low and slow), it was still very tender and could've cut it with a butter knife. The pork remained juicy, was very flavorful and had a nice crispy outer crust not found on the low and slow method. Can't wait to do this one again!

Thanks for the info. I'll have t give that a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)