Weber Smokey Mountain

WSM as a Grill- Chicken, Corn & Zucchini

Modified the WSM to use as a charcol again. What I've been doing is taking out the water pan so there is nothing in betwwen the grates and coals. I then place the meat on the lower of the two gratings which sits apx. 10" away from the coals.

I fully light a half a chimney of charcoal, load it into the chamber, assemble the bullet and allow to get up past 225F. From there, I just leave all dampers 100% open through the entire cook. The internal tempertue will rise throughout the cook, but since the food is up away from the coals, it'll never burn.

The cook time is similar as to when you cook using "indirect heat" on your grill. For instance, I seasoned a cut up chicken fryer and threw them on the bottom grate. It was done in just 45 minutes when the juices ran clear.

I had corn on the cobb, seasoned and with the husks tied back up on the top grate. I also had zuchini's, halfed, lengthwise on the top grate. Those took about an hour.

The chicken had a great smokey flavor and were probably the juiciest chickens I ever ate. If cooked properly, chicken on a bone will be 100x as moist as any marinated boneless chicken breast you ever do. The veggies also turned out well. Both were from the local Farmer's Market and tasted super fresh!

Tomorrow for the Buckeyes/USC game, I'm having 12-15 people over.

I think a smoke session is in order! I'm thinking of doing an overnight pork butt. Will have to pay my butcher a visit on my way home tonight....

I think a smoke session is in order! I'm thinking of doing an overnight pork butt. Will have to pay my butcher a visit on my way home tonight....

I'm thinking of using this ALton Brown recipe, including brining the butt for 8 hours before smoking. 138 reviewers gave this recipe 5 stars. Must be good........

Ingredients

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water
6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Rub:
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika

Directions

Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart plastic container or cooler. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.

Place cumin seed, fennel seed, and coriander in food grinder and grind fine. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and stir in chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.

Remove Boston butt from brine and pat dry. Sift the rub evenly over the shoulder and then pat onto the meat making sure as much of the rub as possible adheres. More rub will adhere to the meat if you are wearing latex gloves during the application.

Preheat smoker to 210 degrees F. Place butt in smoker and cook for 10 to12 hours, maintaining a temperature of 210 degrees F. Begin checking meat for doneness after 10 hours of cooking time. Use fork to check for doneness. Meat is done when it falls apart easily when pulling with a fork. Once done, remove from pot and set aside to rest for at least 1 hour. Pull meat apart with 2 forks and serve as sandwich with coleslaw and dressing as desired.

Pulled Pork Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm having about 20 people over on 9/26, and another 20 or so on 9/27. Been thinking about doing a couple butts the first day, add some ribs the second.

I think I'll do a test run of your suggested recipe on the 19th, and go from there. Maybe 2 different pulled pork recipes at the same time for the party? Or bad idea for confusion?

Due to requests, I'll make some sauce up but probably won't mop. I've come to prefer mine dry, but I'm outvoted.

Anyone with favored slaw recipes for going on the sandwiches?

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm having about 20 people over on 9/26, and another 20 or so on 9/27. Been thinking about doing a couple butts the first day, add some ribs the second.

I think I'll do a test run of your suggested recipe on the 19th, and go from there. Maybe 2 different pulled pork recipes at the same time for the party? Or bad idea for confusion?

Due to requests, I'll make some sauce up but probably won't mop. I've come to prefer mine dry, but I'm outvoted.

Anyone with favored slaw recipes for going on the sandwiches?

I'd be interested in hearing suggestions too.

I'm just going to pull the meat and will offer sauce and slaw on the side for whoever wants to add it to their sandwich.

Oh man!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted. I love over night smokes. Good luck on you game!!!

Update:

I was thrown for a bit of a loop trying to track down a pork butt yesterday. My first stop was my local butcher. A note hung on the front window saying "Gone Fishin, be back Monday". I then went to 3 different grocery stores before I was finally able to track one down. Needless to say, I didn't have enough time to brine it. Instead, I went to the trusty Smoke & Spice Book and chose the "Renowned Mr. Brown" method and the Southern Succor Rub (page 53)....

1/4 cup cup ground pepper
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons Salt
2 tablespoons cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne

Slathered the 7 lb pork butt in mustard. Then, I rubbed it down with a generous portion of this rub mix. Let it sit for 45-60 minutes while I lit the smoker. Used the minion method to start it. (Fill the charcoal ring with coals and then light 20 coals in the chimney. When lit, dump over the unlit coals.) I also threw in 3 decent size mesquite chunks. The smoker was up to 200ºF in no time. When I went to bed the internal smoker temp was 200ºF, when I woke up at 7am, it was 218ºF. Not bad at all! I'm currently at hour 10. Temps are still going strong. I've added water to the pan, but haven't touched the charcoal yet. I just may be able to get a full cook without adding more fuel!

See attached pics. (Kind of crappy quality. I took them with my Blackberry. Still need to buy a replacement battery for my digital camera)....

Attachments

• IMG00067.jpg
    IMG00067.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG00069.jpg
    IMG00069.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 198
Update:

I was thrown for a bit of a loop trying to track down a pork butt yesterday. My first stop was my local butcher. A note hung on the front window saying "Gone Fishin, be back Monday". I then went to 3 different grocery stores before I was finally able to track one down. Needless to say, I didn't have enough time to brine it. Instead, I went to the trusty Smoke & Spice Book and chose the "Renowned Mr. Brown" method and the Southern Succor Rub (page 53)....

1/4 cup cup ground pepper
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons Salt
2 tablespoons cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne

Slathered the 7 lb pork butt in mustard. Then, I rubbed it down with a generous portion of this rub mix. Let it sit for 45-60 minutes while I lit the smoker. Used the minion method to start it. (Fill the charcoal ring with coals and then light 20 coals in the chimney. When lit, dump over the unlit coals.) I also threw in 3 decent size mesquite chunks. The smoker was up to 200ºF in no time. When I went to bed the internal smoker temp was 200ºF, when I woke up at 7am, it was 218ºF. Not bad at all! I'm currently at hour 10. Temps are still going strong. I've added water to the pan, but haven't touched the charcoal yet. I just may be able to get a full cook without adding more fuel!

See attached pics. (Kind of crappy quality. I took them with my Blackberry. Still need to buy a replacement battery for my digital camera)....

Lookin good. When do we eat?

Took the pork off the smoker at hour #15. Wrapped in foil and let it rest for an hour before pulling. Kept the meat in the crock pot over the "warm" setting for the rest of the night. Served on a fresh kaiser bun with homemade slaw and BBQ sauce on the side.

The pork was a HUGE hit! True story: My wife's friend from college showed up. She is a vegetarian. She hasn't had a single bite of meat in over 3 years! (No idea how she does it). Plus, her and her husband just got back from Italy. Think of the carnivorous temptations she had to pass up! Well, wouldn't you know it.... she gave in to the smoked pulled pork! She said it smelled sooo good and pulled pork was her weakness. Plus, with 15 hours of cooking to perfection, it was completely justified and well worth it! :D

Attachments

• IMG00070.jpg
    IMG00070.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 248
I'm thinking of using this Alton Brown recipe, including brining the butt for 8 hours before smoking. 138 reviewers gave this recipe 5 stars. Must be good........

Ingredients

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water
6 to 8 pound Boston butt

etc.......

Pulled Pork Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Well, I couldn't find a butt, had to go with a "picnic shoulder," which I believe is the next cut down. 6.5 lbs. 12 hours in brine solution. I did smear a thin layer of yellow mustard over it just before putting on the rub. This is so that the rub adheres better, not for flavor. And I used distilled water, not bottled water. I have a home water distiller, left over from my days stationed on Guam. And kosher, not pickling salt. Still looking for pickling salt. Used to see it everywhere. And I soak in stainless steel, not plastic.

I had a lot of trouble maintaining steady temps. I was using no name natural charcoal, lots of variation in size. Once I use that up, I won't be buying any more. Actually, I think I got this stuff free (payback) and have another 2 or 3 oversized bags left. Sigh.

The temps got as high as above 270 degrees, never below 210. Just couldn't keep the temps down, with all vents closed, lightly hosing the case, and even spritzing water on the coals. LOT of tending, something I normally don't need to do with the WSM bullet. I blame the charcoal.

I used the small one, since it was just the one small roast. All the same, after 13.5 hours, I had to pull it. 183 degrees, not quite as well done and falling apart as I would like. Still, the bone pulled easily and the flavor is there.

So I'll use one of my old standbys for fuel next time, set it off around 11 pm the night before, and do two butts (if I can find them) this Friday night, for the Saturday party. Might throw on a lamb, too, just for fun. Then, there's the Sunday party......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)