Weber Smokey Mountain

Smoked Wings Rubbed with Jamaican Jerk

The weather broke this week and warmed up for a few days. While I got a chance, I put the WSM to use by smoking 2 dozen wings.

Seasoned wings with this:

Jamaican Jerk Rub:
6 TBS: Onion Powder
6 TBS: Onion Flakes
2 TBS: Allspice
2 TBS: Ground Black Pepper
2 TBS: Cayenne
2 TBS: Sugar
4-1/2 TSP: Dried Thyme
4-1/2 TSP: Ground Cinnamon
1-1/2: Ground Nutmeg
1/4 TSP: Ground Habanero Chile

Cooked at 225°F for apx. 2 hours.

Upon completion, I tossed half in a Stubb's brand hickory bourbon BBQ sauce and ate the the rest with just the dry rub. Served with a side of celery and ranch. Washed down with a few dark lagers.....

Turned out excellent! :hungry:

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 219
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 215
SACRILEGE!

Well, here are some photos.

Assembly was incredibly easy. Just remember to set that heat shield in place before you tighten ANY of the lower bolts on the legs. Best approach- put on two legs, held only by untightened top bolts. Add heat shield. Loosely attach two bottom bolts. Put on third leg, hooking it into the heat shield before adding bottom bolt.

Now for their 1st crime, sacrilege, from the assembly manual: "Weber recommends the use of charcoal briquettes with your WSM Cooker smoker. Lump charcoal or heat beads are not recommended." No explanation as to why they want you to use some filler based product that will create more ash.

And now, for their 2nd crime, in my eyes: On my 18" unit, for all three bottom vents, you turn them one way to open, the other to close. NOPE! Made too much sense. Now, on the 22 incher, two turn one way to open, the third turns the opposite way. Dumb, unnecessary annoyance.

I have a first burn underway now, to burn off any manufacturing oils, etc. Tomorrow, I'll do a pork loin and maybe some ribs and/or chicken. Why not, got the space. The extra height on the lower rack is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P1050051.JPG
    P1050051.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 239
  • P1050056.JPG
    P1050056.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 223
  • P1050057.JPG
    P1050057.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 232
  • P1050054.JPG
    P1050054.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 248
Well, my dual probes on the top shelf are both registering 329, but the Weber thermometer is about 294.

I haven't checked, but will tomorrow - or does somebody already know- can the Weber thermometer be adjusted?

OK, I'm going to have to read thru there and pick a new thermometer out.

First cook, delayed one day, will be tomorrow. The lower rack has about 9 inches of headroom. I plan to put a 5.7 lb chicken there, and some country ribs and a pork loin on top. Might have to move that chicken to the top, due to height. And some ABTs where they'll fit. :p To Heck with the diet.

Attachments

• P1050061.JPG
    P1050061.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 215
  • P1050060.JPG
    P1050060.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 263
So I ended up doing my first smoke in the 22- country ribs, 2 pork loins, a chicken, a duck and 16 ABTs. Room left over. Came out nice. Those ABTs are killers. Can't stop eating them. Just the Jalapeno, some rub, and cream cheese, wrapped in 1/3 bacon slice. Next time, I think I'll try 1/2 bacon slice and 3-4 drops of honey, and a bit more rub. And oh yes, I smoked for an hour or so a couple of slabs of sugar cured country ham, for use in a future vegetable dish.

Chicken and duck were slightly undercooked, since they'll be frozen and reheated later. They were on the lower rack until the pork was done, then I moved them up to the upper rack. Temps dropped to almost freezing outside. I used up over 8 lbs of lump to do this today. The 22 definitely takes more fuel than the 18. Most of the run was at 200, later upped it to 250 briefly, then 225.

Note that the smoke (apple) in the first picture was at a "light" point. 4 applewood chunks, buried in the pile. I think pouring apple juice in the water pan has more effect, but cleanup is a female dog. Chicken in the last pic looks rather unappetizing, but in real life came out Real Good.

We ate the ribs and some of the loin for supper. For the loin, we soaked it in "Fruge Sauce" for 2 nights (& then put on some rub). It's actually called "pride of deer camp" sauce from the Frugal Gourmet. We like his cookbooks, and use that marinade often, for poultry as well as pork. Seldom cook beef. His shows were good, too. But we won't be seeing or hearing much from him in the future, due to his preference for young males. And he was (is?) an ordained minister.

Anyway, I wasn't happy with the thermometer in the 22 when I did an empty burn in. But today, it seemed to stay within 5 degrees of the actual temperature registered on the top rack. So if that holds up in the next couple of smokes, I'll rely on it. Then I can use both of my dual probes in the food, rather than on the rack. Or I'll buy another thermometer and replace the OEM one.

Attachments

• P1050062.JPG
    P1050062.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 222
  • P1050064.JPG
    P1050064.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 212
  • P1050066.JPG
    P1050066.JPG
    445.5 KB · Views: 232
So I ended up doing my first smoke in the 22- country ribs, 2 pork loins, a chicken, a duck and 16 ABTs. Room left over. Came out nice. Those ABTs are killers. Can't stop eating them. Just the Jalapeno, some rub, and cream cheese, wrapped in 1/3 bacon slice. Next time, I think I'll try 1/2 bacon slice and 3-4 drops of honey, and a bit more rub. And oh yes, I smoked for an hour or so a couple of slabs of sugar cured country ham, for use in a future vegetable dish.

Chicken and duck were slightly undercooked, since they'll be frozen and reheated later. They were on the lower rack until the pork was done, then I moved them up to the upper rack. Temps dropped to almost freezing outside. I used up over 8 lbs of lump to do this today. The 22 definitely takes more fuel than the 18. Most of the run was at 200, later upped it to 250 briefly, then 225.

Note that the smoke (apple) in the first picture was at a "light" point. 4 applewood chunks, buried in the pile. I think pouring apple juice in the water pan has more effect, but cleanup is a female dog. Chicken in the last pic looks rather unappetizing, but in real life came out Real Good.

We ate the ribs and some of the loin for supper. For the loin, we soaked it in "Fruge Sauce" for 2 nights (& then put on some rub). It's actually called "pride of deer camp" sauce from the Frugal Gourmet. We like his cookbooks, and use that marinade often, for poultry as well as pork. Seldom cook beef. His shows were good, too. But we won't be seeing or hearing much from him in the future, due to his preference for young males. And he was (is?) an ordained minister.

Anyway, I wasn't happy with the thermometer in the 22 when I did an empty burn in. But today, it seemed to stay within 5 degrees of the actual temperature registered on the top rack. So if that holds up in the next couple of smokes, I'll rely on it. Then I can use both of my dual probes in the food, rather than on the rack. Or I'll buy another thermometer and replace the OEM one.

Now that's what I call breaking it in the right way. Nice job!!!!!!!!!:hungry::up

Thanks. If you look close on the duck, you'll see where I inserted slices of sausage under the skin. Did it to the chicken, too. We tried this with cornish game hens and it came out so well, we thought we'd try it with other poultry.

Can't wait till I can do another shoulder/butt. Next turkey day, I think I can do a turkey up top, and a butt and a couple of chickens down below. And as many ABTs as I can assemble.

I'm in the process of smoking a rack of Baby Backs and ABT's.

4 hours for the Ribs
2 hours for the ABT's.

Trying to maintain a constant 225ºF temperature.

Pictures to follow....

I'm in the process of smoking a rack of Baby Backs and ABT's.

4 hours for the Ribs
2 hours for the ABT's.

Trying to maintain a constant 225ºF temperature.

Pictures to follow....

As promised...........

Also, notice Bailey eyeing the pork. I know whether my smoked meat turns out well or not based on how much the dog is drooling. I had to wipe his mouth several times during dinner. :)

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 158
Boy, what a great looking batch! So juicy!

Do you always use both rub and liquid BBQ sauce on your ribs?

High heat brisket

Did a high heat brisket for a coworker yesterday. Got the WSM up to 350. Pulled the bisket at 160. Seperated the point and flat. Foiled the flat, and chopped the point for burnt ends. Cooked till tender. Took about 5 hrs start to finish. The pic of the flat cut in half is after it sat in the fridge all night. Hard to see how juicey it really is. Didn't want to slice it up because it is going to be a few days before he eats it.

Attachments

• IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1446.JPG
    IMG_1446.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 154
We're going to have to have a Satellite Guys cookout. This stuff is so juicy. And I have leftover pizza for lunch....

Just watched an episode of Bobby Flay's Throwdown featuring Pulled Pork last night. Now I'm jonzing for some Smoked Pork! I may have to pick up a butt this weekend and do an over-nighter to be ready for a Sunday afternoon feast while I'm watching the US Open. :hungry:

High Temp/ Quick Smoked Salmon

So, last night we had two salmon steaks to eat for dinner. Lately, I've been just grilling my salmon, but I wanted to do something different this time. Smoked Salmon!

I started off with a dry rub consisting of brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cayene pepper and freshly chopped dill which I picked from my garden.

I prepared the WSM by lighting a half of a chimney full of charcoal and 1 wood chunk.

Once the internal temperture reached 225F I threw the salmon on a sheet of foil sprayed with non-stick oil. The fish was placed skin side down on the foil, whith the rubbed flesh side up. I chose to put the salmon on the lower grate, closer to the fire and removed the water bowl.

I kept all of the dampers fully opened during the cook. I didn't monitor the internal WSM temp. but I know the temps went well past 225F. I had a digital probe stuck in the thickest part of the salmon and cooked until it read 145F. Overall it cooked for apx. 30-40 minutes before it came to temp.

The results were excellent. Just the right amount of smokey flavor and the rub also went well with the salmon.

Sorry, no pics this time. I left the camera at work....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts