Weber Smokey Mountain

I would have to say it was around 20 F during an overnighter about a month ago. I have a bird feeder on the other side of my deck. When I got up the next mornig I had some little birds setting on the camping table I put next to the smoker. They were getting seed from the feeder and eating it on the table next to the warm somker,

Wow! And I've been reluctant to try below 40, concerned about keeping temps up.

I did have to add fuel when I checked it in the morning. It was low and the temps were falling off a bit. I stirred the coals until most of the ash had fallen through. Threw on about a half chiminy on unlit. Left the door off until they got started. Good to the finish. I'm going to make an insulated wind break for it eventually.

I would have to say it was around 20 F during an overnighter about a month ago. I have a bird feeder on the other side of my deck. When I got up the next mornig I had some little birds setting on the camping table I put next to the smoker. They were getting seed from the feeder and eating it on the table next to the warm somker,

That's nothing. With wind chill, we reached a -24°F the other day. :)

Not trying to hijack this thread, but check this out cold weather cooking can be done... ;)

Oh, it can be done. We all know that. The question was not could it be done, but what's the coldest we have attempted a succesful smoke. The smoker can handle any temp or precipitation Mother Nature can throw at it. Maybe with the exception of a Hurricane:D Here are some pics of some ideas people have come up with to deal with the elements. Plus, if the WSM gets caught in a little rain shower, no problem, our charcoal is on the INSIDE!!;)

Attachments

• heat jacket.jpg
    heat jacket.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 177
  • Heat Shield.jpg
    Heat Shield.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 160
  • paul_mckeen.jpg
    paul_mckeen.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 191
  • smokerjacket.jpg
    smokerjacket.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 169
  • WSM in rain.jpg
    WSM in rain.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 185
  • WSM rain 2.jpg
    WSM rain 2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 172
Just thought I'd check back in. I haven't used the WSM in over 2 months now. This winter is brutal here in NE Ohio! Anyways, I'm having cabin fever and dreaming of smoked meats so I just went back and read the entire thread and looked at all the pictures. Damn, I can't wait till spring! I'm gonna be a smokin' fool soon again!

I had some success at near freezing temps.

I've got the new 22.5" bullet on order from Amazon. My 18" will go to where we camp, and the new one stays home.

I wanted to buy another dual probe thermometer, but I noticed the one I have isn't sold anymore. Any suggestions?

I recently purchased a Maverick ET 73. No problems after 3 smokes.

I saw this thread around the beginning of December, checked out the virutal bullet site shortly after. Purchased my 18.5 WSM in early January and have since smoked ribs two times, chickens and last weekend did an overnight cook of two pork butts. :hungry:

Thanks for the introduction to this product!

I had some success at near freezing temps.

I've got the new 22.5" bullet on order from Amazon. My 18" will go to where we camp, and the new one stays home.

I wanted to buy another dual probe thermometer, but I noticed the one I have isn't sold anymore. Any suggestions?

I have the maverick as well. I modded my xmitter unit with an external antenna. It increased my range quite a bit.

YAY!

Just got word from the amazing dot com people that my 22.5" bullet has shipped. Due in 2/10. So if you're considering getting "the big one" go ahead and order it now, as it's shipping, and before the price goes up.

Just got word from the amazing dot com people that my 22.5" bullet has shipped. Due in 2/10. So if you're considering getting "the big one" go ahead and order it now, as it's shipping, and before the price goes up.

Nice! You'll have to take some pics for us when it comes. I'm jealous of that built in thermometer the new/larger model now comes with.

Nice! You'll have to take some pics for us when it comes. I'm jealous of that built in thermometer the new/larger model now comes with.

I follow the WSM site pretty close, and word is the therms on the new 18.5 as well as the 22 are not very accurate with lots of fluctuation. Several people are removing the original and installing thier own.

I follow the WSM site pretty close, and word is the therms on the new 18.5 as well as the 22 are not very accurate with lots of fluctuation. Several people are removing the original and installing thier own.

Oh yeah? Well if that's the case, I'm content with my digital probe therm setup.

Smoke on!

Thanks, guys. I'll have to test the therm with my digital. If they aren't close, I'll have the hole/mount at least, and wouldn't mind putting in a higher quality baby.

Now- For first [strike]worship[/strike] burn, do I burn the incense inside or in front of it? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)