Weber Smokey Mountain

You are quite the chef, HD.

I used to work as a chef in a few restaurants while in school. That's where I learned the basics. The passion I developed for cooking grew from there.

I was able to carry the hobby further when I purchased my first house and the wife and I started experimenting with different foods and cook methods. It's a never ending learning experience that I enjoy quite much.

So is the only (or main) difference between ABTs and Jalapeño poppers is that the latter are deep fried?

So is the only (or main) difference between ABTs and Jalapeño poppers is that the latter are deep fried?

Poppers usually have a battered crust and the inside is made up of cheese and jalapenos.

ABT's crust is made of bacon and along with a creme cheese and jalepeno center, they often also contain meat.

Smoked wings for dinner.

Tossed in Quaker Steak & Lube's, Buckeye BBQ Sauce and seasoned with Wild Willy's Rub.

Smoked at 225ºF for 2 hours.

Perfectly moist on the inside and the skin had a nice smoky texture with a bit of caramelization from the sauce and rub.

2263646579_98eff694ee.jpg

Yeah, I just used a little bit of the cure since I just did one butt. I only wanted to do one the first time. I kept enough out for one weekend and I vacuum sealed and froze the rest in 8 slice packages. Im sure it will be fine after thawing. I will report back when I do.

If it freezes well (I dont know why it wouldnt), I will probably do a several pork butts next time, slice it up, vac it and freeze it. Im also going to make my own cure next time. With shipping, the Hi Mountain stuff is pretty pricey.

Well, I finally got around to eating the buckboard bacon that I vacuum sealed and thawed. It was every bit as good (if not better) that fresh.

That being said, I bought 15# of pork butt yesterday. Its all going in the cure today and Ill smoke it next week.

Well, I finally got around to eating the buckboard bacon that I vacuum sealed and thawed. It was every bit as good (if not better) that fresh.

That being said, I bought 15# of pork butt yesterday. Its all going in the cure today and Ill smoke it next week.

Oh yeah. That BB Bacon is some good stuff. I need to do up another batch soon.

Well, tonight I prep an 8 lb butt for buckboard bacon. To be cooked on Turkey Day- our Thanksgiving meal will actually be Friday this year. I'm looking forward to it, with so many good reports.

Anybody ever put a bit of the buckboard bacon into ABTs instead of regular smoked pork? I'm considering doing that.

Well, tonight I prep an 8 lb butt for buckboard bacon. To be cooked on Turkey Day- our Thanksgiving meal will actually be Friday this year. I'm looking forward to it, with so many good reports.

Anybody ever put a bit of the buckboard bacon into ABTs instead of regular smoked pork? I'm considering doing that.

You sure can. I have done it several times. Just chop it up real small and enjoy!!!!

Here are the pics of my overnight Chuck Roll. It was a 10# hunk of meat. I tied it up first, then used a modified version of Armadillo Willy's Rub. I moved the WSM to the garage bcause it was very windy and the temps were supposed to be in the mid twentys. Jammed on some Resistance 2 untill around 1130. Put it on at midnight, got the temp set 250 at the lid and went to bed. It chugged away all night with no problems. Pulled and foiled at 160 internal at around 0900, and back on the smoker. Checked for tender when the internal was around 190. Wasn't quite there so let it go to 195, gave it the fork twist test, and she was perfect. Let it rest for a few hours and pulled it. Man, this is some good stuff. Had plenty of fuel left so threw a Fatty on, and had it for lunch. Pulled beef sammies for dinner, and the wife Loved them. Another succesful smoke on the WSM.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 179
Thanks. And I noticed the essential "fortitude" in the pile of ingredients. :p

For folks making ABTs: Do you use the whole slice of bacon on each one, or half or a third? Most recipes I've seen recommend 1/3 slice, although one saying that had a picture of them cutting the bacon into fourths.

It's a long way to Benton, but it looks like it'll be worth the trip! ;)

Thanks. And I noticed the essential "fortitude" in the pile of ingredients. :p

For folks making ABTs: Do you use the whole slice of bacon on each one, or half or a third? Most recipes I've seen recommend 1/3 slice, although one saying that had a picture of them cutting the bacon into fourths.

It's a long way to Benton, but it looks like it'll be worth the trip! ;)

I used a 1/2 slice last time I made them and it worked fine. As Simpson said though, a whole slice works as well. All depends who much you stuff the peppers I guess.

Here are the pics of my overnight Chuck Roll. It was a 10# hunk of meat. I tied it up first, then used a modified version of Armadillo Willy's Rub. I moved the WSM to the garage bcause it was very windy and the temps were supposed to be in the mid twentys. Jammed on some Resistance 2 untill around 1130. Put it on at midnight, got the temp set 250 at the lid and went to bed. It chugged away all night with no problems. Pulled and foiled at 160 internal at around 0900, and back on the smoker. Checked for tender when the internal was around 190. Wasn't quite there so let it go to 195, gave it the fork twist test, and she was perfect. Let it rest for a few hours and pulled it. Man, this is some good stuff. Had plenty of fuel left so threw a Fatty on, and had it for lunch. Pulled beef sammies for dinner, and the wife Loved them. Another succesful smoke on the WSM.

Looks excellent Stimpson. Awesome bark and smoke ring on that sucker. Thanks for the pictures. :hungry:

40 lbs of Butt

Had several people at work wanting pulled pork during the holiday break. Picked up 5 Butts. All together they totalled a little over 40 lbs. Put them on around 8 PM. Never smoked that much at the same time before. Took forever for the temp to come because of the amount of meat and the cold temps. As you'll see in one of the pics what looks like smoke is actually steam. Jammed on some Resistance 2 untill the temp got to 250 at the lid. By then it was 1 AM. Took around 17 hours. Took me 5 hours to pull, defat and vac seal all of it. Man what a job. Hope you enjoy the pics. Happy Holidays to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 170
Had several people at work wanting pulled pork during the holiday break. Picked up 5 Butts. All together they totalled a little over 40 lbs. Put them on around 8 PM. Never smoked that much at the same time before. Took forever for the temp to come because of the amount of meat and the cold temps. As you'll see in one of the pics what looks like smoke is actually steam. Jammed on some Resistance 2 untill the temp got to 250 at the lid. By then it was 1 AM. Took around 17 hours. Took me 5 hours to pull, defat and vac seal all of it. Man what a job. Hope you enjoy the pics. Happy Holidays to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, that's a lot of work! They do look scrumptious though!

It's been so damn cold here in NE Ohio, I just can't get the nerve to smoke anything. I did a beef brisket in a crock pot over the weekend and it just wasn't the same as when I smoked one. Man those pictures are making me crave some good smoked meat!

Man, that's a lot of work! They do look scrumptious though!

It's been so damn cold here in NE Ohio, I just can't get the nerve to smoke anything. I did a beef brisket in a crock pot over the weekend and it just wasn't the same as when I smoked one. Man those pictures are making me crave some good smoked meat!

Throw on a coat, get a few stiff drinks, and go for it. My wife thinks I'm nuts..........untill it's time to eat.:hungry::D

So this all brings up the question:

What is the coldest it's been outside when you've successfully smoked anything in a WSM bullet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts