What and why?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kattheaunt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
My apologies for the poor photo quality and angle, but why is this splitter here when only one coax off it goes to a receiver and the other is unused?

Also, is there anything extra I would need to connect an HR-21 to the bedroom tv if it is currently connected to an SD receiver. Can I just switch them out myself?

Attachments

• image-4164568938.jpg
    image-4164568938.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 237
Are you sure that's part of your Directv setup? The connectors don't look like the compression type. Also, like you said, why is there a splitter if it doesn't have two connections. Is this a swm setup?

My best guess =........the installer missed that one. I have a basket full of those low freq splitters...CATV systems use them....they will not sustain the frequencies used by Directv...... During the installation the cable plan is worked out to serve necessary components. While it is ok to use existing cable if other aspects of the cable are compatible.... splitters like that one are removed...... If your system works ok just ignore it. It could be replaced by a barrel connector. Also, as Chip pointed out, those those fittings are not Directv or DISH approved. Again, ignore them if your system works. If there is a service call for another reason show the splitter to the tech.

If you are missing channels....that could be the reason. Missing transponders.....that could be the reason.

RE moving the boxes..............the HR21 requires 2 cables from the sat. You can switch the boxes but without a sat 1 and sat 2 lines from the dish to the receiver you won't be able to record...unless there is more eq than you are showing......not positive the HR21 is SWM compatible.

Joe

Last edited:
All Directv branded boxes are swm compatible. If you have a swm setup then you only need one cable to the dvr.

All Directv branded boxes are swm compatible. If you have a swm setup then you only need one cable to the dvr.

Not ALL :D the D10, D11, R15 are all branded directv but are not SWM. Just figured I'd add to this. I wish we had a way of making like an actual graph that shows them...guess ill have to make one :(

Not ALL :D the D10, D11, R15 are all branded directv but are not SWM. Just figured I'd add to this. I wish we had a way of making like an actual graph that shows them...guess ill have to make one :(

Sorry, you're right. I meant all hd branded Directv boxes.

yeah its a diplexer. Have one here in my hand (same brand and everything).....hey it was laying below the satellite hookup cabinet at the complex ;)

Do you by chance have cable internet or a OTA antenna hooked into it?

I just looked again and traced the cables. It is connected to the coax coming from the wall and one cable is connected to nothing, one connected to my HR-22. Always been that way. When I switched out the dying receiver I just moved the cables on at a time so I'd get them right. I'm in an MDU, if that matters. But the company that installed is the Worst Company Ever, and they did it. I didn't have that on before the building dropped cable for direct. Everything seems to be working ok. I was just curious. Weird.

Also, I do not have cable internet-I wish I did. I have no idea why that thing is there. I installed the old cable DVR and didn't use that, as far as I can remember.

Yeah, since everything seems to be working fine I'm not messing with it. On another note, boy was I wowed by the PQ on my "new" receiver. I knew the old one was on a long, tortuous, death spiral, but I had no idea how badly the PQ had deteriorated until I replaced it.

yeah its a diplexer. Have one here in my hand (same brand and everything).....hey it was laying below the satellite hookup cabinet at the complex ;)

Do you by chance have cable internet or a OTA antenna hooked into it?

Splitters say splitter (sometimes) with a loss from each pole. Diplexers are labled sat & CATV or give a fewq range. Sometimes there is a power pass side marked. Diplexer? Wouldn't have guessed that. Seen them with the same paint & trim but looks like a splitter.

Joe

Here is a better pic of the one I have (same model # and everything)

The fact they are in a MDU is the reason I asked about cable internet. Thats the only reason they install diplexers here at the complex is if someone gets internet through Commie cast

Attachments

• PICT0110.JPG
    PICT0110.JPG
    786.2 KB · Views: 157
Here is a better pic of the one I have (same model # and everything)

The fact they are in a MDU is the reason I asked about cable internet. Thats the only reason they install diplexers here at the complex is if someone gets internet through Commie cast

That is a picture of a diplexor!
The UHF / VHF (CATV) tells it all. The other side is SAT. Usually there are two; one is at a common point for the UHF / VHF (OTA or CATV) and the other is at the back of the TV or a transition switch / modulator.

Gotta wonder why the MFG would use exactly the same paint on other components (splitters) that can be easily mixed up? Anyhow, it can be ignored or replaced with a barrel.

Thanks

Joe

Last edited:
Joe I'm aware of how a diplexor works ;)

Like I say here in our apartment complex if you get cable internet they put one in the basement and one in the apartment. We get satellite free here (choice package + SD receiver) as a MDU setup. Since the OP mentions that they are in a MDU setup thats why I wondered if they had cable internet

what company was it?
(I'm in a MDU too so just wondered)

Not yours. It's Consolidated Smart Systems. Google it. It's horrible. D* took back the billing because they made such a mess of it but they still handle service calls and such.

I wonder if that diplexor was reevaluated to pass 2mhz and just never relabeled. I'm not arguing that it won't work but the DirecTV ones say 2mhz on them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Not yours. It's Consolidated Smart Systems. Google it. It's horrible. D* took back the billing because they made such a mess of it but they still handle service calls and such.

oh thats right. I remember you saying that once.
Mine here (access media 3) does the same thing. D* bills me directly and they handle the installs and service calls

Status
Please reply by conversation.

new Install Questions Mini Genie in camper

DVR Weirdness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)