What are the chances of waiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

forklifter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I just found out I qualilfy for hd national feeds of abc fox and nbc but not cbs. I was wondering what the percentages were for people who applied for waivers. I am in the Wichita Hutchinson local markets I am 40 miles from the nearest cbs and It does not broadcast in HD anyway.

I'd recommend contacting the chief engineer at the stations that you need a waiver from asking them directly if they'll approve one. Of course they'll want you to receive their station but if you have any special problems receiving them just try to explaine what the problems are. That way when they get the waiver request from D* they know why you want one. I had to do that for two stations that originally refused and they changed their minds and granted the waiver. Good luck.

I think you will be wasting your time if you are asking DTV or Dish to get the waiver for you. I have been able to get several waivers from CBS in Wichita but we live in Oklahoma and had to fill out a form asking for a waiver. But we are a long ways away from the CBS tower.

It might help if you called Laverne Goering at 316-838-1212 and vist with him and explain your reason asking to a waiver. Laverne is the Program Director for KWCH-TV. He is a very nice guy but he wants people to watch his advertising not the east or west coast feeds ads. I just dont know how a person should approach him with this problem. Are you getting CBS now off the antenna? A grade B signal is not a very good picture and thats all you have to be able to get and they dont have to grant the waiver.

Maybe use the case you got a new HD tv and football games dont look very good. Be sure to stress you always watch his news and other programs and how the local weather is important to you but would like to get the full benifit of the HD tv for sports. I dont know what he would say but please let me know how this comes out. If you want to mail him the waiver form the address is

Program Director
KWCH-TV
Box 12
Wichita, Ks. 67201

Just talked to Laverne at KWCH and he told me its a blanket policy no waivers Darn.

fleetmack said:
anyone tried in Denver? ( I can pull in everything with an antenna except ABC ... I need my MNF!)

Isn't MNF moving to NBC?

Chip

I called the two stations I did not get waivers from here in Atlanta, ABC and NBC, today and told them about how they were alienating the a group of people with a large amount of disposable incomes. How we would be getting the locals in HD in the next few months anyway but that if their policy was to not issue waivers at all then I would remember them and their local advertisers when we finally do get locals in HD. Both stations said I had a very sound argument and to send it to them in writing and they would review my case. I guess a few weeks will tell.

After trading emails with my local Fox station off and on for the last couple of months the engineer finally tells me that the decision to grant waivers is actually farmed out to a company called Decision Mark. Here is his last statement to me:

“This is my understanding of the wavier process. Dish Network or Direct sends in a request for a wavier to Decision Mark. Decision Mark uses your address to determine if you can receive a good signal or not. Analog is not an issue because the local channels are available on satellite. The only issue for you is the DTV signals. You can request a wavier for the DTV signals. This has to be done with your satellite provider. Make sure they know it is for the DTV only.
No one at WXXX can grant a wavier.”

Decision Mark does a lot more than just this service. I tried to find a link or contact at the Decision Mark web site regarding waivers and there was none to be found. Probably by design. The best bet might be to make a plea to Directv and have them put your request through again. They’ll make you wait 90 days between repeated attempts though.

When I got my waivers one of the engineers told me that Decision Mark was basically a clearing house. They have the datadase that shows if the FCC formula for where a grade B signal goes covers your address or not, that's what D* and E* use to see if you need a waiver or not.

If you need a waiver D* or E* sends the request DM and then they forward them onto whomever at the station is supposed to make the decision. The station sees the request come in from DM and tells them to grant it or not, then DM passes the answer back to the originator.

http://www.decisionmark.com/proximitytv.aspx

fleetmack said:
MNF is moving to ESPN (I think sunday nights will be NBC instead of ESPN) ... but this year it's still on ABC ... this will be the last year there.

Thanks for the correction.

Chip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts