what coax should I use for OTA ?

Snipr4x4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I just ordered a Winegard SS-2000 (amplified model) for OTA HD local broadcasting can I use RG-59 ? or does it need to be RG-6 ?
My connnection from the receivers to the dish is already RG-6

Thanks

I second al's recommendation. Use the best RG-6 coax you can afford and use compression fit connectors.

Snipr4x4 said:
I just ordered a Winegard SS-2000 (amplified model) for OTA HD local broadcasting can I use RG-59 ? or does it need to be RG-6 ?
My connnection from the receivers to the dish is already RG-6

Thanks
OTA signals do not need RG-6. If it were me I would use RG-6 if I had it but would use RG-59 if I had it. If I had to go buy some, I would get the RG-6 as you might want to use it for something else later.

I tried a comparison with my OTA as I get rather flakey signals some of the time and it made no difference either way.

Grandude,
Quad-shielded RG-6 may sound like overkill for OTA, but the extra shielding is critical in areas where strong OTA signals exist. If you want some ugly multipath situations, try using a 50-70% shielded RG-59 cable, which will let in the same signal being pulled in by your antenna, but smeared-out over several nanoseconds.

How much money are you saving by using RG59 vs. RG6U? $10? $30? I'd spend the money, even if I had RG59 sitting around (which I don't 'cause I throw that $#&^ out!)

Roland,
My point was that the typical UHF signal doesn't have the stringent requirements of the satellite signals now in use. Your point about multipath in strong signal environments is well taken and worth considering. I stand by my comments though and take note, I said if I were going to buy cable I would go with RG-6 and not waste my money on RG-59.
I should add, that if it was a difficult run of cable from my antenna to the receiver I would certainly not bother even trying the 59, even if I had some laying around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)