what do I need to hook it up directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john510

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2013
United States
I currently have directv service in my house with a older 18 inch round 1 LNB dish from 10 years ago. My box is a older D10 model that does not have HDMI or HD service..

I KNOW I can call directv and have them hook up my system for FREE BUT..........

I want to upgrade my service to get the HD service for a newer HD tv I bought BUT I do not want to get into another 2 year agreement with directv so I'm willing to install what I need on my own.. I installed the old one...

Oh there is only one (1) TV in the house I want to hook it up to..I donot want the Genie because I do not want to pay for DVR service..

Will I need a newer Oval HD dish?

Will it have to be a SWM dish or not?

How many LNB's do I need on the dish?

will my old 18 inch dish work?
I know I need a newer HD receiver, and will look online for one that can be turned on. I seen many on ebay..

Any.... other information on this and where to get the supplies would be very helpful..

Whatever you do you're going to get a 2 year extension when you get an HD receiver no matter who hooks it up. Yes you need a new dish, don't need SWM.

Whatever you do you're going to get a 2 year extension when you get an HD receiver no matter who hooks it up. Yes you need a new dish, don't need SWM.
Oh really so they will still make a 2 year commitment.. Ok give me a little more information about the dish unit I would need, and why do I not need the swm unit? how many LNB's will be needed on the dish? I seen some on amazon..

Oh really so they will still make a 2 year commitment.. Ok give me a little more information about the dish unit I would need, and why do I not need the swm unit? how many LNB's will be needed on the dish? I seen some on amazon..

You could use swm but you don't have to. It makes no difference if you don't want a dvr and only have one tv. You are going to have a hard time getting a hd box activated on your account since dtv sorta frowns upon self installs. They want to send a tech out to make sure it's done correctly. The dish that you will require is a slimline 3. You can use a Swm lnb or regular lnb.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If you're in it with DIRECTV for the long haul, I highly recommend you skip the self-install as the commitment is not an issue. Getting free stuff and any necessary future upgrades is much better than having to pay for everything and suffer the increased complexity of a modern installation. DIRECTV seems have some inscrutable policies about what they will activate and the conditions under which they will activate.

If you're in it with DIRECTV for the long haul, I highly recommend you skip the self-install as the commitment is not an issue. Getting free stuff and any necessary future upgrades is much better than having to pay for everything and suffer the increased complexity of a modern installation. DIRECTV seems have some inscrutable policies about what they will activate and the conditions under which they will activate.

I 100% agree. Self installing a hd dish is nothing at all like self installing the 18" dish you have now without training.

:welcome to Satelliteguys john510!

Whether you can self install or if they do it for you, going from sd to hd is an upgrade and it will get you a new two year commitment.

You could use swm but you don't have to. It makes no difference if you don't want a dvr and only have one tv. You are going to have a hard time getting a hd box activated on your account since dtv sorta frowns upon self installs. They want to send a tech out to make sure it's done correctly. The dish that you will require is a slimline 3. You can use a Swm lnb or regular lnb.

Ok so what determines the (how many) amount of LNB's on the dish? does the swm unit require a power unit (power inserter)to to add to the line, I seen one of those but not sure why the use those?

Ok so what determines the (how many) amount of LNB's on the dish? does the swm unit require a power unit (power inserter)to to add to the line, I seen one of those but not sure why the use those?

Based on you currently having the 18" dish, which only receives the 101. I can tell that your default HD dish type will be the SL3 (Slimline). You can use the SL5 if you like, so long as you have the line of sight for the 119 as well. I recommend downloading satellite AR from the android market or app store to check. Free app.

The SWM unit does indeed require the power inserter to function. The receivers are not capable of pushing enough voltage through the coax to power the LNB by itself, so the power inserter is needed. If you decide to run SWM your setup would have the power inserter behind the tv, with the red "power to swm" port connected to your existing coax line, then you would need a new coax jumper from the "signal to ird" to the sat input on the new receiver.

I recommend doing some research on SWM vs Legacy Ka/Ku installs, there are many threads here on this. But to sum everything on that up quickly, since you want to buy the parts yourself, you can save some money by just getting a SL3 lnb, and use all your existing wiring. The SWM will only benefit you if you ever add more receivers or upgrade to a dvr.

I reconfirm that by adding (or replacing your existing receiver with) a new hd box, you will renew your agreement automatically for 24 months. My honest recommendation is to give dtv a call and say you simply want an HD upgrade, no dvr, no genie. Just one hd box. Your install/upgrade should be free based on your OP.

Last note, if you do decide to do a selfinstall, remember that the H25 receiver is SWM Only. so if you want to go legacy, look for an H24, it should also come with a bbc, a.k.a. b band converter.

Based on you currently having the 18" dish, which only receives the 101. I can tell that your default HD dish type will be the SL3 (Slimline). You can use the SL5 if you like, so long as you have the line of sight for the 119 as well. I recommend downloading satellite AR from the android market or app store to check. Free app.

The SWM unit does indeed require the power inserter to function. The receivers are not capable of pushing enough voltage through the coax to power the LNB by itself, so the power inserter is needed. If you decide to run SWM your setup would have the power inserter behind the tv, with the red "power to swm" port connected to your existing coax line, then you would need a new coax jumper from the "signal to ird" to the sat input on the new receiver.

I recommend doing some research on SWM vs Legacy Ka/Ku installs, there are many threads here on this. But to sum everything on that up quickly, since you want to buy the parts yourself, you can save some money by just getting a SL3 lnb, and use all your existing wiring. The SWM will only benefit you if you ever add more receivers or upgrade to a dvr.

I reconfirm that by adding (or replacing your existing receiver with) a new hd box, you will renew your agreement automatically for 24 months. My honest recommendation is to give dtv a call and say you simply want an HD upgrade, no dvr, no genie. Just one hd box. Your install/upgrade should be free based on your OP.

Last note, if you do decide to do a selfinstall, remember that the H25 receiver is SWM Only. so if you want to go legacy, look for an H24, it should also come with a bbc, a.k.a. b band converter.

If I use a SL3 (Slimline). or the SL5 will I have to have two dish the new one and the old one in place or not.. I only want 1 dish to get the regular Channels and hd and locals channel... ?

If I use a SL3 (Slimline). or the SL5 will I have to have two dish the new one and the old one in place or not.. I only want 1 dish to get the regular Channels and hd and locals channel... ?

The Slimline 3 or 5 will cover all your needed channels, unless you need foreign channels.

Weather you go with a 3 or a 5 is up to you and your set up, I recommend using the 3, unless you need the other for a particular channel.

The Slimline 3 sees the 99, 101 and 103 Sats, the 99 and 103 carry the HD signals and the 101 carries the Core programming SD.

Weather you choose SWM or not is also up to you.
IF you already have the coax run to the location your putting the HRxx, that choice is good for you either way, you really don't need SWM with only 1 recvr.

I'm lost. Why do a self install then upgrade to HD? You can't activate a new account on an owned box for 1 (if I read it correctly) and adding HD will automatically trigger a 24 month contract. Why not just call and have an installer do the work?

I'm lost. Why do a self install then upgrade to HD? You can't activate a new account on an owned box for 1 (if I read it correctly) and adding HD will automatically trigger a 24 month contract. Why not just call and have an installer do the work?

Been wondering this too, but the OP said he wanted to do the install, so the thread went in that direction ...

I think he was thinking that if he did his own install there would be no commitment.

Been wondering this too, but the OP said he wanted to do the install, so the thread went in that direction ...

I think he was thinking that if he did his own install there would be no commitment.

Well we know how this ends! OP does install, 2 weeks later, mad, "directv wants to make me sign for 2 years for an HD receiver" :D

The both the sl3 and sl5 have the 101. The hd dish will replace the sd dish.

Perhaps he has to self-install because he's really a "little bit" North of Directv's service area (if you know what I mean). But that's his business.

Except for a few music channels, what do you get from the 5 that you don't get from the 3?

This is a stretch of the truth. The SL3 doesn't offer 100% channel coverage in any of the conventional packages.

Its only missing the 110 and 119, the 110 is only a test satellite currently and has not active channels, and 119 is mostly spanish programming, one or two religious channels, a few music channels, and chinese programming. (yea i know you would think chinese would be on 95, but its not) The SL3 wouldn't exist and be installed by default in markets that don't run locals on 119 if it was "needed" You are right however, the SL5 is needed for 100% channel coverage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)