What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Plus, your family can watch the same pre-recorded show simultaneously in up to 4 rooms.

I would like to know if there is a software upgrade that would let you do this with the H25 that would be great if it would

You can do this now with MRV, can't you? If I'm watching a DVR show downstairs, I don't think anything's stopping someone else form watching the same show upstairs on the H25 connected through MRV.

For the last 5 years I have been helping my friend with his satellite booth at the big 6 state fair called the Big E. All of those years I helped him sell DIRECTV, but this year for the first time he is selling DISH at his booth because DISH provided him the booth, and staffing for the booth which is a godsend as the fair is 3 weeks long and booth must be open from 10am to 10pm each day rain or shine.

Anyways this year if the first time ever a lot of the people who go by the booth and yell "Da Hoppa!" I cant remember any other receiver having more name recognition then the Hopper. Before you could tell a person they were getting a 722k and they wouldn't care... but tell them they are getting a Hopper and they know exactly what your talking about.

I think its good that DIRECTV is making this move.

Unfortunately the DMA that the Big E is in is DirecTV country - Dish does not carry HD locals here, and only half of the SD locals...

You can do this now with MRV, can't you? If I'm watching a DVR show downstairs, I don't think anything's stopping someone else form watching the same show upstairs on the H25 connected through MRV.

If you don't have an HR34, then only one remote can watch at the same time.

Watch those new subs find out the hard way.;)
Nah, remember this fair serves six states, not everyone signing up is from the Spingfield area. Beside for those in the Springfield area the locals will be a non issue in a few weeks as the OTA module for the Hopper is expected to be released.

Unfortunately the DMA that the Big E is in is DirecTV country - Dish does not carry HD locals here, and only half of the SD locals...

According to their lookup they carry PBS and NBC in hd, CBS in sd. That's for the Springfield/Holyoke MA DMA.

No mention of the commercial skipping feature. But I was told (and have reported) that the commercial skipping feature is ready to go and may be added in based on the results of the DISH -vs- The Networks lawsuit.
DirecTV would be stupid to announce that feature given the current situation with Dish and the networks.

OTA has extremely mixed results in this area. i can see the wwlp transmitter and can't get a signal from them; the cbs affiliate is a low power station intended to serve cable and satellite systems i remember a few years back a neighbor was just about to have dish installed, and i told her "they told you that you dont get any local channels, right?" she said she was not informed, and sent the installer on his way. so long as dish is upfront about the limitations with networks in this DMA then good for them for getting people to do without ABC and FOX programming.

That is true with any HR2x series and MRV you can playback ONE STREAM of content to another TV on your DirecTV network, but the Genie can playback 4 simultaneous streams on your DirecTV network. So if you have more than one secondary TV in your home you can NOT playback DVR content to more than one device with the HR2x series. Secondly if you use the C31 RVU client STB or RVU TV each Secondary TV becomes its own DVR, with full trick play even if you are watching live content.

John

true, but people i have talked to wtiht h/j say "I can record 6 shows at once"
directv has to push the 5 tuner vs 3 tuner issue
Which is why there commercials are misleading. I cannot tell you how many people actually think you can record any three shows at one time

Which is why there commercials are misleading. I cannot tell you how many people actually think you can record any three shows at one time

You can record any three shows at one time.

Edit: I assume you mean with the Hopper.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think you are missing the potential of the C31. It is very small box that does away the need for a receiver or DVR. It does the same thing as the Samsung 6000 RVU TV's. I guess RVU didn't catch on so DirecTV is pushing it as a TV attachment. The beauty is that replaces the need for a receiver/DVR. It is so small it could be taped to the back of a flat-screen. It does not use a SWM channel. It works with DECA/MRV. You can still use existing DECA/MRV capable receivers/DVR's. It will save DirecTV a bundle in equipment costs.

I think the "Genie" is a Joey, not a Hopper, and much more capable. The HR34 is required and i think is the Hopper equivalent.

These will be great in the multi-room RV world.

Manual is here which explains it much better.

http://dtvu.satinstalltraining.com/C31/C31_RVU_FG_FINAL.pdf

I know what Genie is, Its Simple its another word for Tivo. It records shows and programs you might like based on your viewing habits. But doesn't take up any of your Hard Drive space.
As far as them calling HR 34 Genie that I'm not sure. But its a cool feature and it has a fairly large selection preloaded at the touch of a button.
There is no commercial skipping feature as of now.

You guys seem to be reading way more into this then there is.

They are only making this feature work with the HR 34 and C31's and not the H or HR's.

If anyone has done a CE in the past 60 days on HR34, your already aware of Genie.;)

Last edited:
I think in a nutshell this means free HR34's for everyone.

I think the real issue is do you want...

A) Have H25's in the additional rooms and have an additional free tuner and loose the ability to pause live.

B) Put the RTU clients in each room, tie up a tuner on the HR34, but have full DVR functions.

I personally think the 5 tuners spread out over 4tv's is better than Dish networks 3 tuners over 4 tv's with prime time 24.

Also looks like new software is rolling out for the HR34, and I think the ad skipping stuff will be turned on depending on the outcome of the Dish lawsuit.

Overall a win win for Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)