What makes Roku so special??

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
I haven't read alot yet about Roku but from what Ive so far have concluded is that Roku is a box with a controller that will find many Internet video streams and organize them for your pleasure.By spending some time with a fast computer can i put something together that will do what Roku does?.I already use my PC for streaming using programs like Hulu,Xfinity,the monster and underground channel.

One thing about roku,it has several channels that you can't get via pc.Still,you can make an awesome htpc.

One thing about roku,it has several channels that you can't get via pc.Still,you can make an awesome htpc.
Does the video quality vary on what your watching on roku?Some of my internet streaming like hulu and Xfinity have good quality but some others that use Livestream have pretty poor quality.

Yes it can,but that is usually because the quality of your internet speed,and live channel.I mostly watch Netflix,Hbogo,Amazon,and Crackle,the video quality on those are great.imo the roku is a great streamer.Works great over wifi,doesn't require much space and has plenty of content.Very easy to take it on the road,or move from room to room.

What about recording?What do you use.I use a software video capture program now that works well with my pc internet live streaming plus you can set a day and time to record like a dvr.

Stan, In a nutshell if you like FTA then Roku is kind of the next step up. At least it was for us. Now I don't have to tweak my dish when the wind blows and freeze my hind end off in the winter lol...I can actually watch TV.

What about recording?What do you use.I use a software video capture program now that works well with my pc internet live streaming plus you can set a day and time to record like a dvr.

Most of the "channels" are on-demand, so no need for a DVR. There are a few news channels (CNNI, CNBCI, RT, AL, etc), sports (MLB, etc [subscription required]) and a few classic TV channels (AMGTV, PrimeTime, FFTV) that are live.

Most of the "channels" are on-demand, so no need for a DVR. There are a few news channels (CNNI, CNBCI, RT, AL, etc), sports (MLB, etc [subscription required]) and a few classic TV channels (AMGTV, PrimeTime, FFTV) that are live.

Exactly,as they are on demand you can pause,rewind,ff,skip ahead,and back,just like a dvr.

I love my roku. Since I had to get rid of my FTA when I moved into the apartment the Roku has kept me able to see alot of the FTA channels