What setting for HD? 480p, 720p or 1020i?

Some HDTVs can only handle one format for their Component input. I've seen some 1080i only inputs, and I've read of some 720p inputs. So those people would have to set their STB (set top box) satellite receiver to output at that format. Others (and most newer models) will accept all of the formats. So you try to best match the native resolution of your display. If you are not sure which one that might be, the you just try them all and pick the one that you like best.

whicky1978 said:
My TV can handle a 1280 by 720 resolution. I have my 811 box set for 720p; does that make a difference? I see big squares (pixels) in SD alot of times

Hey whicky,

I read in some other posts here 2 suggestions you might want to try.

(1) (CORRECTION) feed your HD from your 811 receiver to your TV for to watch your HD

(2) at the same time, feed your SD from your 811 receiver to your TV with an S-video cable

JH1949 said:
Hey whicky,

I read in some other posts here 2 suggestions you might want to try.

(1) set your 811 receiver and your TV for 1080i to watch your HD

(2) at the same time, feed your SD from your 811 receiver to your TV with an S-video cable
I am using componant for my HD, and that imput does not have S-video. Should I use an HDMI/DVI cable from my 811 to my TV?

Since your TV is 720p then set it for 720p, this will avoid unnecessary interpolation. If possible use DVI cables else stick with the component. You can try using s-video output when viewing SD content but this would require changing TV input modes everytime you view SD versus HD. My feelings is view everything thru the DVI or component outputs and use s-video for making recordings.

whicky1978 said:
My TV can handle a 1280 by 720 resolution. I have my 811 box set for 720p; does that make a difference? I see big squares (pixels) in SD alot of times

Hey whicky,

I corrected my last post. What I was trying to say is that if you are having pixelation ONLY in SD then you could try to eliminate it by watching the SD in analog and watching the HD in digital.

By process of elimination, if watching analog SD still has pixelation (which is a digital effect only - JMO), then the problem is not in your TV, but maybe due to low satellite digital signal droput.

But if I understand your later post, you don't have any analog inputs to your tv (no RCA composite, no S-video). Correct ?

JH1949 said:
Hey whicky,

I corrected my last post. What I was trying to say is that if you are having pixelation ONLY in SD then you could try to eliminate it by watching the SD in analog and watching the HD in digital.

By process of elimination, if watching analog SD still has pixelation (which is a digital effect only - JMO), then the problem is not in your TV, but maybe due to low satellite digital signal droput.

But if I understand your later post, you don't have any analog inputs to your tv (no RCA composite, no S-video). Correct ?
I have lots of imputs, I have S-video, but currently no cable. I also have composite and componant, and I have to cable connections--one for local TV and one for "cable TV". I need to buy and S-video cable. Currently, I am getting both HD and SD through the same imputs.

I am using an RCA Scenium, DLP TV. I will see if I can find the specs pdf link.

CivicOnBoostEK said:
also keep in mind the SD on the 811 is terrible anyway. My 311 looked better with s-video than the 811 did in s-vid.

Ya, my E* locals in SD look horrible too.

People on another thread are helping me get setup with HD OTA on my 811. In the mean time, reoriented the old Voom OTA antenna to barely be able to get one OTA local:

(1) OTA SD looks better than same SD E* channel
(2) when it changed from OTA SD to OTA HD and the Dolby 5.1 kicked in for Sunday football, I almost fell out of my chair it was so awesome.

JH1949 said:
AWESOME !

OK, quick and dirty test to see if your SD ONLY pixelation goes away:

(1) remove your component wires
(2) connect one end of them into the composite on the back of the 811
(3) connect the other end into the composite end of your TV
That doesn't make any sense. Componant wires are 3 video wires, while the composite is 2 audio wires and a video wire.

I have connected my 811 through my s-video imput, however I notice no major differences.

I notice the artifacts the most when I am watching a vcr recording. Unfortunately, my vcr does not have S-video connections

I didn't know you could change the resolution on your tv as far as 720p or 1080i unless your tv has a built in hd tuner my tv is hd ready and i don't see anything in my menu area to actually change the hd format of the tv i have a 921 and can of course change it with it.

cappy29 said:
I didn't know you could change the resolution on your tv as far as 720p or 1080i unless your tv has a built in hd tuner my tv is hd ready and i don't see anything in my menu area to actually change the hd format of the tv i have a 921 and can of course change it with it.
It's not the format of the TV, but hte signal that comes through your Sat. reciever. I am using an 811, an it provides those options.

I'm not sure if I should select cable or off air, I don't think its made difference either way. Well, the 480 was obviously different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts