What's for dinner ?

Labor day Sunday and tonight

We scored a free gas grill that's only missing the temp gauge and needed a cleaning so I put it to work this week.
Boneless skinless chicken breast marinated in sweet baby rays, turkey dogs, sweet white corn on the cob, maple and bacon baked beans and watermelon on Sunday. Tonight was a picnic roast cut down to 1.5 inch thick steaks marinated in sweet baby rays mixed with sliced shallots and mini sweet peppers with various steak seasoning and mild pepper rings followed with red skins cut in half and treated with olive oil and more baked beans and watermelon.

I've missed grilling.

Attachments

• P8030015.JPG
    P8030015.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 66
  • P8030017.JPG
    P8030017.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 83
  • P8030018.JPG
    P8030018.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P8060030.JPG
    P8060030.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 77
  • P8060031.JPG
    P8060031.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 72
  • P8060033.JPG
    P8060033.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 67
Over the weekend I had Bacon Wrapped Dove and Pickled Goose! Wow!

I had dove Friday night, pounded flat with a slice of procuitto (sp?) ham laid on and a mixture of artichoke heart, garlic, green onion, & Parmesan cheese on top, rolled up like a jelly roll, baked in butter and served over marinara. Dove is a bit dark, but very tasty. (Served with a Côte du Rhone, which does a nice job with most game.)

I had dove Friday night, pounded flat with a slice of procuitto (sp?) ham laid on and a mixture of artichoke heart, garlic, green onion, & Parmesan cheese on top, rolled up like a jelly roll, baked in butter and served over marinara. Dove is a bit dark, but very tasty. (Served with a Côte du Rhone, which does a nice job with most game.)

I sure was presently surprised myself!

A friend that hunts brought them over on Labor Day. Wrapped in a skewer with peppers, onions and bacon. Left in a chunk (not pounded out). Grilled until just barely past rare and topped with BBQ sauce. Very tasty!

The pickled goose almost tasted like pastrami. Sliced thin, then put on a slice of rye and topped with swiss and mustard.

On Friday we had fair food, Pronto Pups and Buffalo Burgers.

Yesterday, it was Papa Johns pizza, cuz I didn't want to cook.

Today, I'm thinking taco's or grilled salmon, not sure which yet. :D

HIFI is anything but like Mikey! He's the pickiest eater in the house! My mom makes an apple pie with saltine crackers (i don't know how) and he ate it, and then I told him it didn't actually have apples in it, and now he asks before he eats any of her pies what the ingredients are. It's funny.

Cooking for myself again tonight so it's another of my almost-famous "clean the fridge" nights. I did I quick inventory this AM so here's "what's cooking" tonight:

"Healthy Vegan Sketty"

Vegan as in no meat, and I can even leave off the grated cheese. Healthy as in all simple (vs. complex) carbs and other heart-healthy incredients. The "sauce" is sliced squash, zuchini, mushrooms, roma tomatos, onions, and fresh (well, it's been in the 'fridge for a while!) garlic. Start a few tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet, add the crushed garlic cloves (as many as you can stand!), then add the rest of the veggies except the tomatos which are saved until almost the end. Simmer until the veggies are soft but still a bit crisp. Cooking the tomatos only slightly keeps them from turning into mush!

Sketty as in the pasta is any variety of "whole grain" strands. (Look at the ingredients and don't buy anything with the word "enriched" in it.) Boil with another dash of olive oil and some sea salt. Cook to al dente and drain.

Serve the veggies over the pasta of course, and season to taste. I add some cracked pepper and "Jane's Crazy Mixed-up Salt", which is lower sodium and a bunch of other spices.

OK - I'll probably cave-in and sprinkle-on some cheese, so strike "Vegan" from the name! I prefer Kraft mixed Asiago/Romano/Parmesan which is something else I keep in the fridge. Might need to dig around a bit however.

Ummm! Probably enough for lunch tomorrow as well...!

Blue-wing teal and wood duck, slow roasted in red wine with potatoes, red and green onions, garlic, bell pepper and carrots. Served with Coppola Claret.

Snacks...

Whats for breakfast?