When Are They Going To Improve Whole Home

az99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
When is Dish going to improve their terrible whole home system? What a cumbersomeness poorly designed way to have to view 2 Hoppers. They need to look at a DirecTV setup and see how it should be done.
All shows that are available to watch on the DVR should show up on one screen. With one click. Not scroll thru drop down boxes then start over each time a change is made.

When is Dish going to improve their terrible whole home system? What a cumbersomeness poorly designed way to have to view 2 Hoppers. They need to look at a DirecTV setup and see how it should be done.
All shows that are available to watch on the DVR should show up on one screen. With one click. Not scroll thru drop down boxes then start over each time a change is made.

In your opinion.

With DirecTV if you have multiple DVR's the whole mess of shows from everybody's DVR's are all mixed up in one list. Daughter's Disney recordings mixed in with Daddy's Walking Dead is not family friendly. If you have a Genie you can only have one per account anyway.

In my opinion, I like the way the Hoppers do it now.

If you want that kind of integration...it IS possible...you just have to drop the second Hopper and add a Super Joey. You lose one tuner in the process, but you still have five tuners and get full integration.

In your opinion.

With DirecTV if you have multiple DVR's the whole mess of shows from everybody's DVR's are all mixed up in one list. Daughter's Disney recordings mixed in with Daddy's Walking Dead is not family friendly. If you have a Genie you can only have one per account anyway.

In my opinion, I like the way the Hoppers do it now.
Sounds like they designed it for your type use rather than mine. :) That said, why is it not a one click or at least visible selection to select DVR 1 or DVR2? 5 clicks of clicking over around and up then click a drop down to select. They can't come up with a more user friendly setup?

If you want that kind of integration...it IS possible...you just have to drop the second Hopper and add a Super Joey. You lose one tuner in the process, but you still have five tuners and get full integration.
That's why I traded my 2nd hopper in for a super joey. I got total integration for all my joeys and hopper. I can see all shows in any room in the house.

Sounds like they designed it for your type use rather than mine. :) That said, why is it not a one click or at least visible selection to select DVR 1 or DVR2? 5 clicks of clicking over around and up then click a drop down to select. They can't come up with a more user friendly setup?

I don't find it that big of a deal. Even my 5 year old son is capable of changing from one Hopper to another along with switching to the EHD. If full integration is that important then I would drop one Hopper and add a Super Joey. This would give you want you want and is similar to what DirecTV has, even the same amount of tuners. You would even save $2 a month on your bill.

A lot of members here felt the same way you do when the Hopper first came out. I think you'll find that the majority of people have actually come to like the separation of the two. It helps keep recordings organized a little better. I don't know why, but when people start counting button presses it makes me laugh.

A lot of members here felt the same way you do when the Hopper first came out. I think you'll find that the majority of people have actually come to like the separation of the two. It helps keep recordings organized a little better. I don't know why, but when people start counting button presses it makes me laugh.

Its called settling, after a while people get over minor annoyances that is just human nature. Your button press comment makes me laugh too.....90% of the public care about quick user friendliness of their devices, you are clearly in the minority with your views about button presses... if a company came out with a car that required you to turn the key five full around turns to start it versus the usual one you don't think most people would care... yes its not a big deal but people would complain.

I like certain aspects of both systems. I like the single list view DirecTV offers, but I also like the customization Dish offers. As usual, no one does it all right.

Its called settling, after a while people get over minor annoyances that is just human nature. Your button press comment makes me laugh too.....90% of the public care about quick user friendliness of their devices, you are clearly in the minority with your views about button presses... if a company came out with a car that required you to turn the key five full around turns to start it versus the usual one you don't think most people would care... yes its not a big deal but people would complain.

Some of it may be settling and some of it is just people realizing it's not that big of deal. Some people do not want one huge list of all the recordings on both Hoppers. I get that convenience is important for people but there is a line for what's a burden and what isn't. I don't find switching between the two that much of a burden and I never did.

Honestly I don't see much of an argument here since you have the option of getting a fully integration system by getting a Super Joey. I have that option as well but I like what two Hoppers gives me over what a Hopper and Super Joey gives me. The only thing I look forward to is the ability for timers to spill over to the other Hopper and that is suppose to be in the works right now.

You want to switch Hoppers with a single button push? Get a programmable remote with macro support.

I like certain aspects of both systems. I like the single list view DirecTV offers, but I also like the customization Dish offers. As usual, no one does it all right.
Exactly, well put.

You want to switch Hoppers with a single button push? Get a programmable remote with macro support.
That would work, but its just sad thats what it has come too........

Great idea with the Super Joey but let me know how that works out when your Hopper goes down. I got 2 Hoppers so in case one goes down I would still have TV.
I can get to the other DVR and so can my wife. All it is is software. Add the option for viewing both DVR with one click and one screen or change the option for you to click all over the screen and drop down menus to separate them.
The other problem with the current method is if you start and stop a show from the remote DVR, you are then sent back to the DVR of the other DVR and start clicking all over again to get to the remote DVR you were working with. Just poor software design. But people will settle for it.

I know we all think it's just a simple software change to make two Hoppers integrated but I'm betting it's not just that simple. Dish has know since it came out that customers what a fully integrated two Hopper solution and they have said they were working on it. One of there solutions was to offer the Super Joey so people could have more tuners and it be fully integrated. I have to think there is some problem they are running into trying to integrate two Hoppers. That, or Dish just thinks it's not worth their time and money. The latter bay be more accurate though.

Maybe Moca has issues with continuous 6 tuner capability and it was thought that 5 tuners were the guaranteed limit without issue....

I remember Vivek saying that better integration was coming in the next major release. I suspect that will help somewhat.

I remember Vivek saying that better integration was coming in the next major release. I suspect that will help somewhat.

I think the better integration he was talking about was the timers. Basically if there is a timer conflict on one Hopper it will shoot that timer over to the other Hopper.

I think the better integration he was talking about was the timers. Basically if there is a timer conflict on one Hopper it will shoot that timer over to the other Hopper.
When I had two hoppers previously that would have been my biggest "complaint". If they would do that, I would likely swap my super joey out for another hopper so that I could have two separate DVR lists. By the time I scroll through all of my daughters shows I forget what it was I was looking for anyway. lol

....and leave a link/shortcut/pointer on the first Hopper.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)