When Are They Going To Improve Whole Home

Engineers beat what parameters they can get out of the marketroids and put together a model that should work. This is how it is done in most industries that sell their products.

The fact that marketroids aren't necessarily very adept at communicating effectively nor cooperating is what makes the job "interesting" (in a Chinese curse sense). The worst kind is the "same as last time" (primarily for costing and lead-time purposes), "but different" (to meet whatever the customer's needs will be; many of which aren't detailed).

I don't know how other businesses do it but I worked in the semiconductor industry for almost 40 years and never beat anything out of marketing It was quite the opposite - 90% of the way into a design the Marketing Group would come up with additional requirements which would have to be added, with no change to the schedule because of critical time to market requirements. The hierarchy in these companies was Finance > Marketing > Engineering. There's no sense spending money on a non profitable product, and there's no sense making a product that won't sell. Even though we were at the bottom of the barrel operationally we did outearn our peers in those groups and did much better at layoff time. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Dish has know since it came out that customers what a fully integrated two Hopper solution and they have said they were working on it. One of there solutions was to offer the Super Joey so people could have more tuners and it be fully integrated. I have to think there is some problem they are running into trying to integrate two Hoppers.
The development of the Super Joey may not simply be "one of their solutions", it might be the solution (much to a very tiny minority of Dish's customers dismay).

Reactions: dare2be
I don't know how other businesses do it but I worked in the semiconductor industry for almost 40 years and never beat anything out of marketing It was quite the opposite - 90% of the way into a design the Marketing Group would come up with additional requirements which would have to be added, with no change to the schedule because of critical time to market requirements.
This is where the savvy engineer can make the company some money and save themselves a whole lot of time (the "same as last time" aspect). You beat out of the marketroids all the features that they want before you begin and you don't have to graft them on after the fact.
The hierarchy in these companies was Finance > Marketing > Engineering. There's no sense spending money on a non profitable product, and there's no sense making a product that won't sell. Even though we were at the bottom of the barrel operationally we did outearn our peers in those groups and did much better at layoff time. :)
The problem with Finance being at the top is that few of them understand where a product fits into the industry and how changes impact the cost and lead time (but they aren't afraid to ask). Marketing keeps begging and Engineering reminds Marketing that you can't get there from here without something costing more.

The business model for semiconductors is about delivering a commodity to a handful of industrial customers who turn around and sell a more complex product to their customers (who typically aren't end users). This is in stark contrast to industries that design and manufacture items for use by consumers. Here we're talking about an entity producing software that is to be used by Joe Sixpack.

When is Dish going to improve their terrible whole home system? What a cumbersomeness poorly designed way to have to view 2 Hoppers. They need to look at a DirecTV setup and see how it should be done.
All shows that are available to watch on the DVR should show up on one screen. With one click. Not scroll thru drop down boxes then start over each time a change is made.

Then you want the Hopper with Super Joey for an identical tuner count and DirecTV experience. However, with Dish you also get PTAT, built-in Sling and more. OR, we at least have the option with Dish to have 2 Hoppers on one account so the kids can have their recordings separate from ours, and we can easily watch recordings from the others Hoppers, but we don't have to deal with the kids massive recordings cluttering up our Hopper, with no such option at DirecTV. So, at Dish you have a choice of the DirecTV like option or the 2 Hopper option. Sounds like DirecTV needs to take a look at how Dish does it.

Then you want the Hopper with Super Joey for an identical tuner count and DirecTV experience. However, with Dish you also get PTAT, built-in Sling and more. OR, we at least have the option with Dish to have 2 Hoppers on one account so the kids can have their recordings separate from ours, and we can easily watch recordings from the others Hoppers, but we don't have to deal with the kids massive recordings cluttering up our Hopper, with no such option at DirecTV. So, at Dish you have a choice of the DirecTV like option or the 2 Hopper option. Sounds like DirecTV needs to take a look at how Dish does it.
Best said!

You still did not sell me. We don't have kids and massive clutter on our 2 Hoppers. Maybe folders would help you.

If you you want to defend the lack of a easy to use whole home system good for for you. I still want the option of a real whole home 1 click system.

They have 100 selectable options in the settings. Add another one for combined or separate DVR. Then all of us can be happy. :)

And as previously mentioned earlier, why I didn't want that.

Genie - 5 tuners, serves 4 active TVs
Hopper/Super Joey - 5 tuners plus PTAT, OAT adds tuner, serves 4 TVs, more timers, more recording capacity, far better interface, EHD to account not box... ...and everything on one menu.

What are you talking about?

For the second time in this thread. If 1 Hopper goes down with Super Joey you have ZERO TVs. With 2 Hoppers I still have TV if 1 goes down.

I never compared the Genie to the Hopper for tuners. Just the one screen DVR.

You can pat Dish on the back all you want but it won't get you anything.

For the second time in this thread. If 1 Hopper goes down with Super Joey you have ZERO TVs. With 2 Hoppers I still have TV if 1 goes down.

I never compared the Genie to the Hopper for tuners. Just the one screen DVR.

If it is critical to you to not be with TV for the generally day or two it takes to get a replacement unit, then 2 Hoppers is the way to go for you. But just like D*, E*'s equipment has its own features and faults and your choice is to learn to live with them or not switch if it is that big of a deal.

I've had D* and E* at different times with different configurations, and have both now. A single HR44 from D* and a Hopper/Super Joey from E*. From a management of the system view the Hopper+SJ is just fantastic.

When I had a 2 Hopper setup, I actually learned to like the non-unified playlist better than the unified one that I had from my 2 HR24 setup from D*. Yeah, it takes a few button pushes to switch playlists, but it sure isn't brain surgery.

I like the non-unified playlist of two Hoppers, since one Hopper has all the kid's shows and the other has all the adult shows. However, I would love to be able to program and view timers from either. It is a bit of a pain to have to go to another room just to add a new timer or to check to make sure a show is going to be recorded. Add that and do some bug fixes and I'd be a happy camper.

This is starting to turn into a classic "beggars can't be choosers," type scenario. Both Dish setups give you many features you want and like but they don't have them all in one. You're left with one or the other. Sounds like a typical day in the life man. There is no perfect solution for every single person out there.

This is starting to turn into a classic "beggars can't be choosers," type scenario. Both Dish setups give you many features you want and like but they don't have them all in one. You're left with one or the other. Sounds like a typical day in the life man. There is no perfect solution for every single person out there.
I think many people would love for this to be their typical day. This entire thread embodies the saying "First World Problem."

Presenting facts is somehow "patting on the back"?

Fact: You have a choice of fully-integrated systems: Hopper+SJ or Genie. Both have the same number of Sat tuners, both have the same limit of zero TV if it goes down.
Fact: You have an additional choice of redundancy with 2 Hoppers, you gain 1 Sat tuner but you give up partial integration. With the Genie you don't have the redundancy option.

Anytime I have had anything shipped to me from dish, it's been 1-2 days. I think that all depends on the location. I have heard it taking 7 days for others.

One to two days to get a replacement ? That's a good one !! :eek:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe he meant 1 to 2 days until you could get someone on the phone that was able to diagnose the problem. :)

Anytime I have had anything shipped to me from dish, it's been 1-2 days.
I've had to get a few replacements and 99% of the time, the problem wasn't obvious until the afternoon or evening. So you call at 6pm, let's say and get it in process. They're even nice enough to give you the tracking # on the phone (or in an email minutes later). The following day, no movement is typical for my experience. Maybe two days later, they ship the receiver. I do think they aim for 2-day transit from the ship date though. So, if you're two days by UPS Ground, they ship it Ground. If you're 3 days or longer, they 2-Day Air it. I think 3-5 days is more typical...

Anytime I have had anything shipped to me from dish, it's been 1-2 days. I think that all depends on the location. I have heard it taking 7 days for others.

We have asked Dish for faster shipment on replaced receivers and they will tell us two days but it typically takes 4-5 business days. The problem with this is that most times my customers call me with a bad receiver on Thursday or Friday and want it before the weekend. I can make it happen but it'll cost ya!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)