Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

Attachments

• USBDrive1.jpg
    USBDrive1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 182
  • USBStorage-m.jpg
    USBStorage-m.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 195
I am assuming that if they do this it will not be the network cable, it will be a usb cable. But other than that basically yes!

I will be buying a new external hard drive as soon as this option becomes available.

There's no way in hell that the content providers would allow Dish to make it possible for you to show movies on anything but the 622 they were archived off of.

No way.

Nope.

No chance. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Hell, the content providers hate the very idea of a DVR. They've been fighting timeshifting ever since Sony's Betamax.

According to the rep at the booth, the feature will be enabled "by year's end".

Take that for what it's worth. The PR Agent was standing right next to the rep and I so I think it was ok to say ;) Now the question is will this really happen? I don't know the answer to this question, I can only relay the information that I receive so don't shoot me if it does not appear.

Of course I also asked about using the Ethernet port for a variety of other things:

1) Replacement for phones for those that have VoIP. No comment.

2) Stream content to other ViP receivers. No comment.

3) Mount external storage from a NAS. No comment.

Are you noticing a pattern here?

For those that are going to the party tomorrow evening, I'll see you there!

Best to all from Denver.

I thought that the ideas behind the network/ethernet port were the abilities to 1) do enhanced VOD functions and 2) to port recordings between other similar/same-gen receivers (i.e. other 622s or 211s). The "ViP" stood for 'video over internet protocol' in some discussions, right?

And on the subject of the hard drive archiving, its been discussed several times in several threads that it is limited (read serialized) to recordings that will ONLY play back on the particular assigned receiver you 'join' the USB drive to. You may be able to play back from the external hard drive...but only through the receiver assigned to it and through the receiver browser. Some said you might only be able to play once the media is restored to the receiver's local drive, but I think that got dismissed as untrue (and would back up the ViP usage plans, i.e. playing recordings over the network from remote drives in other recievers). Again, someone correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly. But that's what I recall from prior demo discussions.

The problem with marrying external storage to a particular receiver is this; what do you do if a receiver fails and it has to be replaced? It is not correct to lose your content if you lose the receiver. This was addressed as an item being worked on. I would prefer that the content be locked to the account so that you (the customer) can move your stored content between 622s that you own.

I would also like to be able to mount up NAS storage as a "big block o' external storage" that's larger and more secure than a simple external USB drive.

Cheers,

From the Tech Forums:

May 2005
(Listing features of the DVR942) USB 2.0 ... Looking to add external hard drives to store DVR events which should help heavy recorders who quickly fill 25 hours. The content will be encrypted to work only with that receiver.​

May 2006
Christopher: Status of external hard drives for HD DVRs?
Dan: The engineers have it in beta, the business folks should have a decision on it in the next few months. Probably for the 622 and 942 first.​
August 2006
Nancy: How to archive from 622 to DVD?
Dan: Can play from TV1 through RCA jacks to record in analog form. They are still working on external hard drive archival. Will be out this fall, working through some issues in beta testing including finding a bug in the operating system which led to significant testing for that.​

OK, horror speculation now.

They are going to let you use generic external USB hard drives right? They are not going to come out with a Dish Network branded external HD and expect us to buy that?

The only reason I even thought of it is the whole situation with the Pocket Dish. I coud see them using the excuse that they have to have hardware based encryption and then we have no choice but to buy their branded drive.

I really hope not, as there would not be any additional functionality on a Dish branded HD over a generic one. They are pretty cheap now (saw a 250 GB external USB hard drive in the ads yesterday for $89) and I would would not be willing to pay Dish $150 for the same drive.

Now they may justify the cost because of the hardware based encryption, but Dish needs to remember, that is not helping me the customer, that is helping the content providers.

What do you think, am I just being paranoid?

I think your being paranoid. :)

There was actually a lot of dicussion about this at our party on Saturday night.

We all know that if Dish made its own hard drive that it would be too small by the time it hit the streets.

The problem now is if your 622 dies then you can no longer access the data on the external hard drive.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think your being paranoid. :)

There was actually a lot of dicussion about this at our party on Saturday night.

We all know that if Dish made its own hard drive that it would be too small by the time it hit the streets.

The problem now is if your 622 dies then you can no longer access the data on the external hard drive.

Scott: Thanks again for all you do! I really want to see this one happen.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if they locked it to the particular account and not to the particular receiver - wouldn't that solve the problem? :confused:

--Doug

Scott, thanks for the re-assurance! After I posted, I found this posting in your regular (non-HD) forum:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=76830

At least in the picture here it looks like they have some specific drive in mind, but I hope you are correct.

Drives are cheap and getting cheaper EVERY day. For $100 I can buy a drive twice as big as I could a year ago. I would hate to have to be locked in to the Dish branded drive that is twice as expensive on day one, and that is 4 times as expensive in a relatively short period of time.

Dish if you are reading, DON'T DO THIS!

I fully understand the need to lock it to at least my account (preferably) and possibly to the receiver. I know you have to deal with the content providers. But forcing us to buy a Dish branded drive would be suicidal on this deal. It is absolutely anti consumer, because the only two reasons to do this are to make a huge markup on the drives, and to include hardware based encryption which is a demand of the content providers not the consumers.

So many other DVR providers are heading towards (or already have) external drive solutions. Don't make this like the On Demand services, a crippled service that no-one buys and only exists so you can put it on your spec sheets.

I have no problem having my external drive content locked to my account. I would gladly accept this restriction.

But please allow me to purchase the hard drive that best fits my needs off of the open market.

Hallmark to Launch HD Movie Channel

622 Freezes & Reboots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)