Where's the new HD (January 2012)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I did research. I just missed how many HD channels are missing. Dish hasnt really fallen behind as a sports provider. It's just that Directv has some good exclusive deals that Dish cant provide to its subscribers.

If you did research, clearly it was faulty. The hd stations available on each provider are rather easy to determine. If you think Dish isn't WAY behind in sports programming, then your aren't from the NYC area. They don't have MSG, YES, or SNY. They don't have a lot of what Directv offers in sports.

i have had both and can say without doubt that direct is better IMHO. i have been with direct now for 4 months now and have had 0 problems where with dish i had nothing but trouble and there CSR's like to lie to people. so far direct CSR's have not told me 1 lie

I suppose you need to head back on over to Dish if those channels interest you that much. I would have behooved you to do a little research before you switched. I highly doubt DirecTv will be adding very many of those in the near future. You will probably have to pay a fairly hefty early termination fee to leave if you "recently switched."

i would certainly hope bbc america hd is one of the basic channels that should be added sometime this year!

You mean you are stating YOUR OPINION and PERCEPTION; what is missing, acceptable, desired, lazy, not trying hard, what makes a better EPG, etc for YOU may not be so for the next 1000 users.

But that said; if you really didn't want to start a debate between Directv and Dish, then you wouldn't have posted your opinions and perceptions in public.

I started out as me stating the channels I found missing on DTV after my switch from Dish. It turned into a debate when people told me to basically stop whining and if I dont like it go to Dish.
I posted my wants in this forum, because I saw everyone else doing the same. I thought this is a fair forum. I'll keep my criticisms to myself from now on.

i have had both and can say without doubt that direct is better IMHO. i have been with direct now for 4 months now and have had 0 problems where with dish i had nothing but trouble and there CSR's like to lie to people. so far direct CSR's have not told me 1 lie

Customer service is the one reason that I switched. it's not so much that they lie. They just don't know what the heck they are talking about!

I started out as me stating the channels I found missing on DTV after my switch from Dish. It turned into a debate when people told me to basically stop whining and if I dont like it go to Dish.
I posted my wants in this forum, because I saw everyone else doing the same. I thought this is a fair forum. I'll keep my criticisms to myself from now on.

Your post that I responded to had two clearly faulty statements. I simply responded to them to make sure the right information got out.

I did research. I just missed how many HD channels are missing.

You did not try very hard if you "did research." Both providers websites, not to mention sites such as this have a list of every channel in HD on both DirecTV and Dish Network. All you would have had to do is look at what Dish had in HD vs. what DirecTV has in HD. Were you get that Dish has more sports in HD is beyond me, I guess you found that out with your "research."

I was hoping that Nat Geo Wild would be in HD in time for the new season of Dog Whisperer. Oh well.

Channel requirements are subjective, yet folks continue to think what happens in their backyard happen everywhere. Only thing I miss is BBCAHD, but I get better overall PQ. I can deal. My other deal, in peak time, is I record over 40 hours a week. I dont need another channel to like :)

Isn't Directv about out of bandwidth (I know they keep reserves in case of failures) for new stuff until another sat launches?

I have read that it has been estimated they could add somewhere around a dozen channels between now and when D14 is launched. I have also read where perhaps the number could be increased depending on how many HD PPV and HD VOD "push" channels they want to use the available capacity for.

I have read that it has been estimated they could add somewhere around a dozen channels between now and when D14 is launched. I have also read where perhaps the number could be increased depending on how many HD PPV and HD VOD "push" channels they want to use the available capacity for.

Ah, forgot about the VOD stuff. We gotta ASSume looking at history, those wont go away. 10-12 is not a bad number, they just have to be strategic about it. I'll be the first to admit that I was real shocked earlier that BBCAHD and AMCHD werent givens to add, even though they finally added AMC.

I would expect TruTV in the next year. Probably BBC America too. Maybe they will also add Investigation Discovery in HD, H2 would be nice too. At least they are (so far) not sacrificing quality for quantity.

I just TruHD is a "dont care for me", I dont keep up with the channel. Id love to finally see BBCHD. I catch the series I like on it via Roku in HD off Amazon.

Welcome back elway:)

I'm happy as long as no channels are yanked!!!!

RandallA said:
Lol! Hey this is not Dish. :)

I was with them just as you were but we wised up:)

Things will need to change dramatically for me even to think of going back. Outrageous receiver fees, No ESPNU hd. I really like the whole home dvr from Direct. I know Dish is working on their own version but I really like this.
How about you Randall. You happy??

tigerfan33 said:
I was with them just as you were but we wised up:)

Things will need to change dramatically for me even to think of going back. Outrageous receiver fees, No ESPNU hd. I really like the whole home dvr from Direct. I know Dish is working on their own version but I really like this.
How about you Randall. You happy??

Oh yeah! Everything just works with D* and the whole home DVR is awesome. We're all very happy.

It's just that Directv has some good exclusive deals that Dish cant provide to its subscribers. Dish actually has more of their sports networks in HD, than Directv. Not that I care. Most people are wanting more basic in HD, not more sports. One last thing about the guide on Directv.
It looks like your research is wrong here as well. This is not true at all. Dish does not even carry any NY RSNs in HD at all. They have a few game only HD channels which are switched on during game time. Some times game are not even shown and/or are JIP'd. You will never see a JIP'd game in HD on Direct and most of their RSNs are in HD 24/7

Direct has 37 RSNs in HD (26 Full-time). Dish has 26 RSNs in HD (non full-time). Of the other national sports channels Direct has 18 in HD and Dish has 14. Dish has only one sports channel in HD that Direct does not have and that is the Sportsman Channel.

In total:
Direct has 55 HD sports channels (44 full time)
Dish has 40 HD sports channels (14 full time)

Direct has almost 4 times as many full time sports HD channels as Dish

Dish is missing in HD (some in SD as well):
ESPN 3D
ESPN News
ESPNU
Fuel
GoalTV
FSN Carolina
FSN Houstin
FSN Indiana
FSN Oaklahoma
FSN Tennessee
FSN Utah
FSN Wisconsin
MASN
MSG
MSG+
SNY
Yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts