Where's the new HD (January 2012)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg said:
the only one in that list that looks decent (to me at least) is TruTV

The rest dont care about

I agree, people come here to b7342h about this channel or that channel not being in HD, evidently those channels are not viewed much or they would have them.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Why would you think that? It isn't like any provider has all the channels you might find interesting, or that most channels only have a very few programs that are really all that good?

So you go with the provider that gives you most of what you want, and bitch about those things missing! :)

When I switched from E* to D*, I knew that I'd be missing BBCA in HD, and I do. But there were other things that were of more interest. I didn't suddenly decide I didn't like Doctor Who or Primeval and those few other shows on BBCA.

I figger one of these days D* will get it, or I'll get ticked at D* and switch back to E*. Six of one, half-dozen of the other, imo.

wg4ever said:
I did research. I just missed how many HD channels are missing. Also. I was a Directv subscriber for 10 years before I switched to Dish. I'm sorry, but after having both systems for an extended period, the guide AND recievers still win, overall. I dont want to start a debate between Directv and Dish fans. I am just stating a fact. The fact that I listed some channels that are either on Directv or not on there at all just shows how scrambled some of the basic channels are on the guide. Dish hasnt really fallen behind as a sports provider. It's just that Directv has some good exclusive deals that Dish cant provide to its subscribers. Dish actually has more of their sports networks in HD, than Directv. Not that I care. Most people are wanting more basic in HD, not more sports. One last thing about the guide on Directv. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that when you push up on the page button, then the channel numbers should go up. At least Dish has the option in their receivers to make the guide ascending or descending. I wish I had the option on DTV. Lets be realistic. I am the only person that I know that pays for a total package (meaning sports & premiums). Every single person that I know only pays for basic packages, with a few paying for one premium. The statistics and surveys don't lie. When asked, people say they want more basic in HD.
I am not a hater of DTV. I just wish they would try harder. Being number one tends to make you a little lazy...until you fall to number two. I love the Whole-home concept. I dont like that you cant have a OTA tuner option in the new receivers though. Here in the Bay Area, you can pick up 36 channels OTA. Having that other recording option is nice. I like the new guide (except for not being able to change it to ascending). I like the large capacity DVR. They have Smithsonian-HD, which Dish screwed their customers out of (It was on Dish for a couple of weeks and then disappeared with no explanation). They have Showtime Beyond in HD, which is pretty cool.
I will be with DIrectV for at least the next two years, so I hope they focus less on adding more PPV HD Channels and other Pay channels, and add more Basic in HD. I'll be happy to have more premiums too, but please give me more basic HD.

I do agree with you 100% about the channel ascending/descending issue. Why D wouldn't address this is beyond me. It was little things like this was why I made my move from D to E. D does carry just about every regional spot network you can think of but the fact they lack basic channels like E entertainment in HD( I think they are the only national provider that doesn't offer this) will make me stay with E until they can offer some more basic channels in HD.

DodgerKIng
I think the poster flipped the two and meant to say Directv has more HD for sports than Dish but he didnt care about that

nuttz565 said:
I do agree with you 100% about the channel ascending/descending issue. Why D wouldn't address this is beyond me. It was little things like this was why I made my move from D to E. D does carry just about every regional spot network you can think of but the fact they lack basic channels like E entertainment in HD( I think they are the only national provider that doesn't offer this) will make me stay with E until they can offer some more basic channels in HD.

That is what frustrates me. I'm not dissatisfied with my DirecTV service but rather what appears to be their inattention to improving it. I've been a subscriber since Oct 2010 and can count on one hand (maybe even 1 finger) the number of non-premium channels in my package (Choice Xtra/Chicago RSN) that were upgraded to HD since I subscribed. MRV was the main reason I switched from Dish but there have been zero improvements on that - even with new equipment being released, the same idiosyncrasies exist (such as no way to autoschedule across DVRs) that have been there from the beginning. Sure, they changed the look of the guide but from what I have seen, it offers little more functionality and I can't see any noticeable performance enhancement on me receivers (H/HR24).

For those with older receivers that the new guide has made faster, why did it take so long to make the viewing experience tolerable? If I had been given equipment that was taking 30 seconds (or probably even 5) for the box to respond to a channel change, it would have been returned the next day and I would have been begging Dish to give me back my old service.

It is a sorry state when you think about it how excited so many are about a new guide - after all, don't we ALL subscribe for content, not bells & whistles? When it comes down to it, I would much rather have seen more SD channels upgraded to HD than a new HD guide, but to each his own.

Again, I am not dissatisfied and my intent is not to bash DirecTV. They have delivered what was promised when I subscribed. I'm just disappointed more has not been done to improve the service and make it more enticing (though I will admit the iPad app is pretty cool despite being limited). For me anyway, Dish's recently announced MRV option will make it a difficult decision to stick with DirecTV when my contract is up in October unless there are some real enhancements, especially to HD programming options in the middle tiers. Hopefully now that they are done with the guide, we will see some enhancements elsewhere!

They have been slow to add new hd in a year or so, but there is a good reason. They are low on bandwidth and won't compromise on picture quality like Dish has in order to give you more channels in hd. Think about how many more customers they could either attract or keep by increasing the number of channels per transponder. They have steadfastly refused to do that and I for one am happy about that. Would I like to have more hd, of course, but I am willing to wait for the next satellite launch, which I think is next year.

Im also very happy about it.

Yeah, the last year is slow, but you should seen 2007-2009, they hit a lot of it. It's quality of quantity, I prefer quality. They could however stand to lose some HD PPV transponder space and use it for channels, but Im guessing since they keep adding subs and making money, there is a reason those are there.

elwaylite said:
They could however stand to lose some HD PPV transponder space and use it for channels, but Im guessing since they keep adding subs and making money, there is a reason those are there.

Exactly - it is all about priorities. Unfortunately their current priorities seem to differ from mine. If we don't make our concerns known, priorities will never change.

For the most part I like DirecTV (I liked Dish too - they just didn't offer true MRV and almost lost Fox in the middle of the football season and start of the fall TV season). I would just like it more if I could watch all my favorite channels in HD! :)

That is what frustrates me. I'm not dissatisfied with my DirecTV service but rather what appears to be their inattention to improving it. I've been a subscriber since Oct 2010 and can count on one hand (maybe even 1 finger) the number of non-premium channels in my package (Choice Xtra/Chicago RSN) that were upgraded to HD since I subscribed. MRV was the main reason I switched from Dish but there have been zero improvements on that - even with new equipment being released, the same idiosyncrasies exist (such as no way to autoschedule across DVRs) that have been there from the beginning. Sure, they changed the look of the guide but from what I have seen, it offers little more functionality and I can't see any noticeable performance enhancement on me receivers (H/HR24).

For those with older receivers that the new guide has made faster, why did it take so long to make the viewing experience tolerable? If I had been given equipment that was taking 30 seconds (or probably even 5) for the box to respond to a channel change, it would have been returned the next day and I would have been begging Dish to give me back my old service.

It is a sorry state when you think about it how excited so many are about a new guide - after all, don't we ALL subscribe for content, not bells & whistles? When it comes down to it, I would much rather have seen more SD channels upgraded to HD than a new HD guide, but to each his own.

Again, I am not dissatisfied and my intent is not to bash DirecTV. They have delivered what was promised when I subscribed. I'm just disappointed more has not been done to improve the service and make it more enticing (though I will admit the iPad app is pretty cool despite being limited). For me anyway, Dish's recently announced MRV option will make it a difficult decision to stick with DirecTV when my contract is up in October unless there are some real enhancements, especially to HD programming options in the middle tiers. Hopefully now that they are done with the guide, we will see some enhancements elsewhere!

Interesting, most of the things you mentioned in this post that you would like changed are as you say "Bells and Whistle" items, the functionality are fine.

Exactly - it is all about priorities. Unfortunately their current priorities seem to differ from mine. If we don't make our concerns known, priorities will never change.

For the most part I like DirecTV (I liked Dish too - they just didn't offer true MRV and almost lost Fox in the middle of the football season and start of the fall TV season). I would just like it more if I could watch all my favorite channels in HD! :)

:confused: Who almost lost FOX ? :confused:

There was never any chance they were gonna lose Fox and you know it.

They (Fox) and (D*) are required to put the banners up stating that you could lose the channel IF negotiations are not met.

Thats a MAJOR difference in D* and E, D* doesn't lose MAJOR Networks, while E's history says otherwise.

They have been slow to add new hd in a year or so, but there is a good reason. They are low on bandwidth and won't compromise on picture quality like Dish has in order to give you more channels in hd. Think about how many more customers they could either attract or keep by increasing the number of channels per transponder. They have steadfastly refused to do that and I for one am happy about that. Would I like to have more hd, of course, but I am willing to wait for the next satellite launch, which I think is next year.

Well said. I would need to sprout at least two new arms to have enough fingers to count the number of HD channels that our local Time Warner Cable has in HD that Directv doesn't (something TWC pointed out to me at least 5 times before they finally stopped calling to get me back). The PQ is nearly unwatchable. Several of the channels constantly look like an OTA antenna poorly pointed (they never drop out but there is nearly constant pixelation and fluttering). The equipment is faulty and expensive. Their on-demand isn't as extensive as Directv's. Of course the lack of NFL Network is an ever-present issue. I miss NG Wild HD, H2/Hist Int'l HD, and IFC HD but that's it. Having ESPN where I can see the ball clearly is worth it We never watch E, Oxygen, etc so it's not worth having them all in HD. We have premiums and it's nice to have virtually all of them in HD (which they were not on TWC.) I have seen a lot of people on here say that the Directv SD quality is bad. Come watch TWC in NC SD and I'll show you bad...

Logical channel order, working equipment, the AM21 (as stupid as it is without being able to scan), superior HD AND SD quality, NFL Network/Sunday Ticket, more HD premiums, and the simple ability to create a favorites list sold me - and the MUCH CHEAPER cost, too. Quality HD > more HD.

They (Fox) and (D*) are required to put the banners up stating that you could lose the channel IF negotiations are not met.

Thats a MAJOR difference in D* and E, D* doesn't lose MAJOR Networks, while E's history says otherwise.

Right. It's the same old story and posts we've seen before. I sub to D* primarily for sports programming and as such, Dish doesn't match up in this dept. I also benefit from D*'s track record of resolving carriage disputes before the channel are pulled. I didn't like the D* "VS" dispute last year but it was a lot better for me, than seeing the MSG outlets pulled (Dish) in addition to their other well-known dispute issues.

As you said Jimbo, bottom line is that D* resolved the Fox issue.

Once again, if maximum available basic HD programming is one's priority, by all means, switch to Dish or stay with them. D* carries enough HD baics for me but I'd like to see additions. I like the overall (HD) programming availability that D* provides with sports, premiums, as well as basic HD. It's all about our HD priority list. Choose the service that best provides one's overall preferences. No provider carries it all.

Jimbo said:

Re-read my post - I was referring to Dish who had aleady lost some Fox programming and came within a couple of days if losing the Fox Network. That and the lack of true MRV were the main reasons I switched to DirecTV.

However this last round of bickering between DirecTV and Fox was eerily familiar! In both cases, though, I place the blame entirely on Fox.

As for bells and whistles, I don't consider more HD or MRV anything but content-related. HD is "what" I watch, MRV is "how" I watch it. Changing the appearance of the guide, letting me watch YouTube, letting me listen to Pandora, letting me change channels with my iPad, etc - those are bells and whistles. Sure, I may use them and even like them but they are not going to influence my decision which provider I'm going to use. My decision is going to be based on content, price and hardware, but as I said before, to each his own. :)

Re-read my post - I was referring to Dish who had aleady lost some Fox programming and came within a couple of days if losing the Fox Network. That and the lack of true MRV were the main reasons I switched to DirecTV.

However this last round of bickering between DirecTV and Fox was eerily familiar! In both cases, though, I place the blame entirely on Fox.

As for bells and whistles, I don't consider more HD or MRV anything but content-related. HD is "what" I watch, MRV is "how" I watch it. Changing the appearance of the guide, letting me watch YouTube, letting me listen to Pandora, letting me change channels with my iPad, etc - those are bells and whistles. Sure, I may use them and even like them but they are not going to influence my decision which provider I'm going to use. My decision is going to be based on content, price and hardware, but as I said before, to each his own. :)

Sorry, I mis read it :eek:

D* as been missing HD for years and not looking good for the future either.

The same could be said about Dish not carrying ANY of the NYC sports channels. See, it works both ways!

Every time someone makes a comment about wanting more BASIC HD on Directv, someone wants to tell the poster how Directv has the most sports channels?

I can verify this 100 percent.. Fox was never going to get yanked... Its often a tatic used in negoating to get a better rate or deal. The diffrence is directv gets their deals done, dish doesnt.... To the poster who said Dish had more sports than Directv, had me falling out of my chair! WTF have I been complaining in the Dish Network fourm for about the lack of HD RSN's in full time? if they have had them all along! WoW some people are out there!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts