Why do HI subs get so few HD channels?

I'm in Cleveland, we have a few inches of snow on the ground on this April 7, and I can get all of the HD channels.

Want to trade? :)

I'm in Cleveland, we have a few inches of snow on the ground on this April 7, and I can get all of the HD channels.

Want to trade? :)

+1. I can see Alaskans complaining, but I'd gladly give up HD for Hawaii.

Laddyboy is right. With the exception of Echostar 11 at 110, Hawaii is not covered mt the main beam of Dish's satellites. What HD you have comes mainly from spotbeams.

It's windy right now and (slightly) cold (65 degrees), but it's still good to be in Hawaii. :cool:

One question for those in the know: We get great coverage on the E*11 conus beam, but the only conus HD signals that we have access to are Sci-fi and USA. There are other HD channels on that beam which we aren't allowed to receive, and many of the HD channels we get via the E*10 spot beam are mirrored on the E*11 conus beam.

Theoretically, could the E*11 conus HD channels be turned on for Hawaii, opening up the E*10 spot beam to send us different HD channels?

Between this, the mpeg4 switchover and the Ceil-2 spot beam eventual uploading, Hawaii (and Alaska) could join the first world of dish HD. 148w could eventually help us out as well.

Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

If you look aqt what it cost to broadcast to a little island like Hawaii and the number of Dish subscribers, you are lucky that you get any HD.

If you look aqt what it cost to broadcast to a little island like Hawaii and the number of Dish subscribers, you are lucky that you get any HD.

Yep. It is good to be treated like second class citizens. We are indeed lucky that you mainland folks see fit to allow us any Tv at all.

Thanks for your insight.

I guess that after we added Hawaii, we should have added the states of Phillipines, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Maybe Dish could broadcast to them too. (just kidding) Whose side was Hawaii on in the big war anyway.

The same reason Alaska gets so few. We are a small market, population wise, so the priority will always be for the lower 48. They will get around to AK, HI an PR when they get good and ready to. Then they will be on spots beam from 129, up to 35 channels. There still is spot capacity on 110, but they seem reluctant to add them to us.

I guess that after we added Hawaii, we should have added the states of Phillipines, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Maybe Dish could broadcast to them too. (just kidding) Whose side was Hawaii on in the big war anyway.

With ten thousand comedians out of work, you are trying to be funny?

The OP asked why Hawaii does not get the same number of HD channels as the rest of the country.

One person attempted to answer, and the rest try to be comedians. And you come up with how lucky we are to be getitng any high definition at all.

And now some inane comment about whose side Hawaii was duing the big war.

I am stunned by the genius of your wit.

Now to be sure I get this straight, we are lucky to be getting the HD that we get because you have not read enough to know what side we were on during the big war.

I hope that answers the OP question.

Yep. It is good to be treated like second class citizens. We are indeed lucky that you mainland folks see fit to allow us any Tv at all.

Thanks for your insight.
mauiguy,

That has nothing to do with being treated like a citizen good or bad. You'd be doing better to drop the victim talk - because you'd feel better and realize that it has everything to do with people joking (hence the smilies) about your desirable weather situation compared to our snow in April.

Lighten up, enjoy Hawaii or I'll come there and enjoy it for you (if I can get a few grand). :)

The Sat's aren't setup to give you the signal as strong. It's all about geography and $ for E*.

PS. I ignore idiots that make stupid comments about war and the like. Who cares?

Why use spot beams? Because there's only a limited amount of space up there. They can't broadcast anything they want, the FCC would kill them. They only have so much bandwidth/frequency space. To make the most use out of it all, they rebroadcast on the same frequencies in different spots. This is *perfect* for sending local channels. So on frequency "3" they might send locals to Birmingham, Atlanta, and Denver and so forth. All on that same frequency. This reuse can be done because they're not sending Denver's channels to Atlanta (it would be a waste since they can't legally sell them there anyway). Because each spot on the ground only sees what's being sent to them, the other spots using the same frequency doesn't get interfered with by the other spots. Any spot map you look at will have overlapping spots. Any spots that overlap must use two different frequencies, but any spots that don't overlap can use the same frequencies.

http://www.solidsignal.com/tech_faqs_01.asp

ECHOSYSTEMGENNEW.gif

Note: Hawaii doesn't get the main Sats that most of the rest of the US does. Or nothing in this next one...

dishnetworkeirp.gif

mauiguy,

That has nothing to do with being treated like a citizen good or bad. You'd be doing better to drop the victim talk - because you'd feel better and realize that it has everything to do with people joking (hence the smilies) about your desirable weather situation compared to our snow in April.

Lighten up, enjoy Hawaii or I'll come there and enjoy it for you (if I can get a few grand). :)

The Sat's aren't setup to give you the signal as strong. It's all about geography and $ for E*.

PS. I ignore idiots that make stupid comments about war and the like. Who cares?

Bebop,

Please bear with me for a second. I agree with the victim stuff. My point was going to be that a simple answer would suffice.

Everytime some asks a serious question and they are from Hawaii, they get all of the comments about how about how others would never watch tv if they lived out here etc..

I understand the fascination with the seemingly exotic place called Hawaii. I live here.

But when someone pops up and tells me (or some one else) that we are lucky we get any HD, that just sets me off.

That same poster then then comes back and starts asking inane questions about whose side the Hawaiians were on during the "big war".

Just a little gratuitous i think.

Most of the time on this fourm (especially the dishnetwork side) I keep my mouth shut. I figure if I can say nothing good about dishnet, then I should say nothing at all.

But that persons comments were uncalled for as far as I am concerned.

Too bad I did not read your post first. I might not have answered the second post that person sent.

Now, let me apologize to all except the poster to whom I directed my two previous posts. I did not wish to offend anyone else on this forum.

Bebop,

Please bear with me for a second. I agree with the victim stuff. My point was going to be that a simple answer would suffice.

Everytime some asks a serious question and they are from Hawaii, they get all of the comments about how about how others would never watch tv if they lived out here etc..

I understand the fascination with the seemingly exotic place called Hawaii. I live here.

But when someone pops up and tells me (or some one else) that we are lucky we get any HD, that just sets me off.

That same poster then then comes back and starts asking inane questions about whose side the Hawaiians were on during the "big war".

Just a little gratuitous i think.

Most of the time on this fourm (especially the dishnetwork side) I keep my mouth shut. I figure if I can say nothing good about dishnet, then I should say nothing at all.

But that persons comments were uncalled for as far as I am concerned.

Too bad I did not read your post first. I might not have answered the second post that person sent.

Now, let me apologize to all except the poster to whom I directed my two previous posts. I did not wish to offend anyone else on this forum.
I like to reply in a PM for idiotic comments.

I hope you like the maps I found. And the lightening up comment applies for lotsa people. :)

Yep, I shoulda answered in a PM. Would have been less heartburn .....lol.

I checked out the footprint maps. Looked good. I recall that Senator Inouye from Hawaii had to twist arms for Directv and Dishnetwork to send us a signal.

I understand the reluctance of some companies doing business out here we are a real small market.

I had Dishnet for a while because they offered the first HD out here that we could actually receive. In addition they offerend our locals (SD) at the time which we could not get.

A year ago, when Dishnet was unable to provide us with any significant HD I switched the bulk of my programming to Directv.

Of course in order to do that I had to have two 1.2 meter dishes installed to get their programming.
Lot's of folks do not like them (the huge dishes) but I hid them in my back yard.

So I have two Dishnetwork dishes, two Direct dishes, and one fourteen foot paraclypse dish out there. Good thing I am in the country.

I appreciate the good information on Dishnetwork, and hope the original poster got his answer.

Thanks...

Yep, I shoulda answered in a PM. Would have been less heartburn .....lol.

Actually as someone who moved to Maui a little over 9 months ago, I'm glad you responded the way you did. I haven't lived here that long at all and even I grow weary of the endless jokes posted to serious questions. (I kid you not, I decided against contributing to the site or applying to be a pub member because I felt like it would be a waste of time and money since very few here seem to take Hawaii seriously). It's one thing to post an answer to the question and make a humorous comment, but its another thing to just waste everyone's time posting a wisecrack about where you live without even attempting to post something remotely relevent to the topic.

Fortunately there are a number of posters on here who do make a serious effort to add to the discussions on here, it's just very frustrating when you have to wade through so much junk just to get to it.

And as for the comment regarding the "big war"...someone needs a reminder of the large number of U.S. military personnel and their families currently stationed out of Hawaii who are currently deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan (or who have died in service there) before making such an idiotic joke.

To get back on-topic, Considering Honolulu by itself is the #71 DMA in the country, I don't understand why getting better HD service isn't a higher priority here for Dish. It's understandable why HI gets less HD than the mainland, but the current channels offered are anemic, especially in comparison to what Oceanic is delivering. Just 1 spotbeam would be enough.

Actually both Dish and DIRECTV are now required by law to factor in AK and HI in all new satellites unless the satellite location is below the horizon for AK and HI. So, essentially AK and HI should start to see more and more as both Dish and DIRECTV launch more satellites.

AK and HI are not foreign countries, they deserve to have the same coverage. Hopefully Dish will follow through with 148 and have real AK/HI coverage when they launch their satellite to 148.