Why do HI subs get so few HD channels?

While talking to Tech Support yesterday I was told it was one dish that would cover 110, 119, and 129. He didn't know the size of the dish, but I specifically asked if it covered 3 locations and he said yes. :up

sorry but he was misinformed. time will tell. 110 will require a second dish. also going to a 4.99 monthly charge for the new dish.

bummer, they push it back to 5/13/09.

if anyone else ever use word "soon", i think dish will sue them. they have patent on that word.

Why weren't the other HD channels at 110 made available?

On 4/29, 30 HD channels on 129 spot and 11 on 110 spot were uplinked and marked "not available". Great signal on Hawaii transponders, but only the conus channels show up on the guide (red).

On 5/6, the 129 ones were made available, but maked "hidden", however MAX and HBO showed up on the guide and work fine anyway. Go figger. Haven't seen any change to the new 110 channels.

Today is the hallowed May 8th, but still no more channels showing up, even after check switch tests and guide downloads. Can't bring up a channel by punching in the number either.

Did the May 8th date include the year? :(

I talked to Dish tonight and at least the person was aware that there is a new HD plan for AK/HI and that it is delayed until the 13th.

Just got off of the phone with a local installer.

He's playing with the one dish solution for Alaska and with it centered at 119 is able to get the spot beams at 129 with the lowest signal at 56. For some reason when he does a check switch it doesn't recognize 129 though?

For some reason when he does a check switch it doesn't recognize 129 though?

IIRC:
There are several threads on legacy equipment used with vip no longer working on 129 after a check switch is performed (since feb?). One post mentioned this has been fixed on the 222 and the others need to wait for new software download.

I use a sw64 with my 722 and haven't bothered yet with the tree cutting to move my 148 dish over bc of this. Yeah, maybe new channels "soon" but am I going to get them?

Just got off of the phone with a local installer.

He's playing with the one dish solution for Alaska and with it centered at 119 is able to get the spot beams at 129 with the lowest signal at 56. For some reason when he does a check switch it doesn't recognize 129 though?

My lowest reading (in Hawaii) was tp 4 at 57%. Tp's 2,5,14,16 were all above 70%. I have dp lnb's and a dpp44 switch. Check switch recognizes 129 but registers error due to no reception on all the conus tp's. All those conus channels are showing up in the guide, but not the spot ones.

Is your installer using any legacy gear in his setup? Since more than half the AK tp's are odd numbered, could that be the issue?

Last edited:
My lowest reading (in Hawaii) was tp 4 at 57%. Tp's 2,5,14,16 were all above 70%. I have dp lnb's and a dpp44 switch. Check switch recognizes 129 but registers error due to no reception on all the conus tp's. All those conus channels are showing up in the guide, but not the spot ones.

Is your installer using any legacy gear in his setup? Since the more than half the AK tp's are odd numbered, could that be the issue?

Not sure what he's using. But the readings with the dish were with it pointed at 119, so the readings are pretty good for the spots on 129. I'm sure he'll figure out the check switch issue, but it's encouraging to see that the single small dish will pick up both sats.

I don't have a problem running check switch with my three dishes and the VIP receivers 211/622/722.

Not sure what he's using. But the readings with the dish were with it pointed at 119, so the readings are pretty good for the spots on 129. I'm sure he'll figure out the check switch issue, but it's encouraging to see that the single small dish will pick up both sats.

I don't have a problem running check switch with my three dishes and the VIP receivers 211/622/722.

Yes, very encouraging early progress. Can he also pull in 110 at the same dish position, or is this just the 2-bird dish that was spoken of earlier?

Yes, very encouraging early progress. Can he also pull in 110 at the same dish position, or is this just the 2-bird dish that was spoken of earlier?

He didn't mention it, so I'm guessing he hasn't tested that. He did talk about trying that though.

I have a 622 and 722 with dish pro LNBs on two dishes pointed at 119 and 129 connected to a dp34 switch and it also does not recognize 129 when I do a switch check. I was able to get it aimed (somehow) and have strong signals, 68 on TP 5,7 and 9 and 84 on 12. The only way that I could watch any channels off 129 was to disconnect the satellite inputs to the dp34, run the switch check and save the change (that were was no satellite signals). Then I unplugged the receivers to reset them, reconnected the 129 input to the dp34 and powered up the receivers. Then they would recognize the 129 satellite on the point dish screen, but still would not recognize it during a switch check. Oddly enough at this point it did bring up the 129 guide and I was able to watch HBO west or the two local Achorage channels on 129. I reconnected the 119 input to the dp34 and ran the switch check again. It recognized the 119 sat, but still did recognize 129. For two days after that the 129 channels remained in the guide and were viewable (even though 129 was not shown on the switch check) but yesterday they disappeared from the guide.

AK Golf, let me know what the dealer finds. It sounds like I may have the same problem.

I have a 622 and 722 with dish pro LNBs on two dishes pointed at 119 and 129 connected to a dp34 switch and it also does not recognize 129 when I do a switch check. I was able to get it aimed (somehow) and have strong signals, 68 on TP 5,7 and 9 and 84 on 12. The only way that I could watch any channels off 129 was to disconnect the satellite inputs to the dp34, run the switch check and save the change (that were was no satellite signals). Then I unplugged the receivers to reset them, reconnected the 129 input to the dp34 and powered up the receivers. Then they would recognize the 129 satellite on the point dish screen, but still would not recognize it during a switch check. Oddly enough at this point it did bring up the 129 guide and I was able to watch HBO west or the two local Achorage channels on 129. I reconnected the 119 input to the dp34 and ran the switch check again. It recognized the 119 sat, but still did recognize 129. For two days after that the 129 channels remained in the guide and were viewable (even though 129 was not shown on the switch check) but yesterday they disappeared from the guide.

AK Golf, let me know what the dealer finds. It sounds like I may have the same problem.

I'll let you know when he figures it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts