why I cancelled VaVaVoom

elocs

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 9, 2004
La Crosse, WI
I called a few minutes ago and cancelled VaVaVoom and it took no longer than it did to sign up for it. I was not asked why I was cancelling or if I was dissatisfied in any way. I am not unhappy about not having VaVaVoom because right not I am watching a show on the History Channel that I surely would have missed yesterday because I would have been too busy scanning the 36 movie channels to see if there was something I wanted to view or that came on in the next hour or two. Plus, having all the premium channels for a couple of months only confirmed my previous opinion of them: a few good movies and most of the rest average or worse.
I won't miss them because there are still plenty of good movies on and I can any new movies I want.

The cost is another factor. My monthly bill has nearly been cut in half. That $40 extra a month may not mean much to many of you, but I work hard for my money. By hard, I mean hard, physical labor
for a weekly wage that is probably far, far less than many of you make. That $40 savings a month will easily pay for my phone, my isp, or for a week's worth of groceries. That is how I view it because a dollar means something to me.

I am otherwise very happy with Voom and its hd offerings, but I am not an hd snob. With me, the content is the most important thing whether it is hd, sd, or b&w. I have a teenaged daughter who, like many of her generation, believe that anything in b&w is inferior to programs in color. Content is not important, but the picture is everything.
That reasoning to me sounds like the "I won't watch anything unless it is hd" that I read about. Well, like my daughter, that is a choice that I do not agree with. My viewing choice is about content, content, content. I remember fiddling with the tin foil on the rabbit ears on an old b&w tv and thinking what I was watching was great. I may be more easily pleased and satisfied than many here because no matter how much is offered it never seems to be enough. It is either an unwanted channel, not the right channel, or garbage because it is not hd.

I will enjoy Voom for awhile longer and then I am planning on cancelling. It is not that I am dissatisfied with Voom because I think it is great.
But I am going to make a lifestyle change after many years of having cable and now Voom with their many channels. I am going to get my tv programming
free and ota and learn to be satisfied with less and recapture my life from the constant surfing of umpteen channels in the search for something better to watch, always believing there must be something better on another channel. There is a good thread over on the AVS forum about hd people going strictly ota and some who have never paid for tv.
I may actually read a book again, listen to some great radio programming, or enjoy doing things outside. I will have plenty of tv viewing options and will no way be deprived. Less is more. Just my personal choice--for others, do what makes you happy or that is best for you.

I may miss Voom's programming choices, but to be honest, what I will not miss is the constant uncertainty of whether the service will continue.
It's always wait until next month, wait 2 weeks, speculation after speculation and yada, yada, yada.
The wait may be worth it, but all of this uncertainty has allowed my ota only idea to germinate and grow, so maybe I should be thankful for it. If Voom survives and I am not happy with ota only, then I can always resubscribe, but somehow I think once the pay-tv cord is cut, that will be it. For now, I will be happily Vooming for awhile longer, but a good book and the great outdoors is calling. It is, after all, only tv.

That is refreshing. Unfortunately the local affiliates may end your OTA HD dream soon if they get their way with multicasting.

Good Luck...

elocs, it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision, more than trying to inform us about it. Looks like you have been struggling with the TV, trying to take back your life for some time, and finally took the first step, although a small one. At least spring is around the corner, so you picked the best time to take action… Good Luck, and get out there and enjoy life!!
nature-smiley-015.gif

P.S. Personally, I don’t waste time channel surfing; I open the program guide once or twice a week and plan my viewing schedule for days at a time. You’d be surprised how much time you could take back by just planning ahead. IMHO
;)

Good luck to you! Nice to know that you don't dislike anything specifically with Voom or VaVaVoom. You just want to cut back your TV and save some bux.

I am thinking most of the premium movies on VaVaVoom are actually mainstream films I would never pay to watch or bother to watch. There are only a few films on the premiums I want to see. I would prefer more channels like WorldCinemaHD, FilmFestHD, GalleryHD, EquatorHD, and DiscoveryHD -- 90% of my viewing, and none of which are premium channels. They have to be HD and commercial-free. I am more than happy to pay extra. If the premiums on VaVaVoom remain too mainstream, I might fold at some point.

For now I am sticking with VaVaVoom to see where this goes. I am on for the ride! We could lose our whole service or we could end up with 100 more great HD channels! Hang on...

1080iBeVuMin said:
Good luck to you! Nice to know that you don't dislike anything specifically with Voom or VaVaVoom. You just want to cut back your TV and save some bux.

I am thinking most of the premium movies on VaVaVoom are actually mainstream films I would never pay to watch or bother to watch. There are only a few films on the premiums I want to see. I would prefer more channels like WorldCinemaHD, FilmFestHD, GalleryHD, EquatorHD, and DiscoveryHD -- 90% of my viewing, and none of which are premium channels. They have to be HD and commercial-free. I am more than happy to pay extra. If the premiums on VaVaVoom remain too mainstream, I might fold at some point.

For now I am sticking with VaVaVoom to see where this goes. I am on for the ride! We could lose our whole service or we could end up with 100 more great HD channels! Hang on...
I love VaVaVOOM, but I would scale back to two plus packs if they offered a mid-tier package - too much reduncancy. Plus, I'm one of the strange people who actually get quite a bit of value out of VOOM's cinema channels - we love 'em.

Voom4Me said:
elocs, it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision, more than trying to inform us about it. Looks like you have been struggling with the TV, trying to take back your life for some time, and finally took the first step, although a small one. At least spring is around the corner, so you picked the best time to take action… Good Luck, and get out there and enjoy life!!
nature-smiley-015.gif

P.S. Personally, I don’t waste time channel surfing; I open the program guide once or twice a week and plan my viewing schedule for days at a time. You’d be surprised how much time you could take back by just planning ahead. IMHO
;)

Actually, I really only seriously considered the idea for a short while now after reading the thread on the AVS forum about hd programming concerning ota only. I realized that there were committed hd people out there who do not pay for tv and I began to believe that the idea had a lot of merit. Also, when I had my daughter for spring break a couple of weeks ago, she was reading a book and asked me what I read and then remembered, "oh, you don't read anymore" and I realized how right she was. I used to love to read and it occurred to me that I had not read a book in years. Last year when I got Voom I rode my bike 500 miles that season here in Wisconsin, but the year before I rode 1000 miles.
There was just to much good stuff on Voom. It is ironic that all of the Voom uncertainty is what allowed me to start thinking this way. Otherwise I might have continued in my delirious Voom stupor.

As for program planning, been there, done that.
Part of the problem was that I was spending an inordinate amount to time scanning the program guide and looking over the 36 VaVaVoom channels, planning on what I would like to watch. Then, doing that, I found I was missing out on programming on the regular Voom line-up that I would have watched. So I would both plan and surf, and when I was watching a program with commercials I would surf during the commercial and then forget to come back. Also, I found myself watching network tv that I could get ota.

I am not trying to convince myself, but after reading the thread at AVS I realized that maybe there were some here who might be having the same thoughts. Ironically, my decision is much like those who will only watch hd--I am voluntarily limiting my viewing choices. For me, it was getting like the song "57 Channels and Nothing's On". I am blessed with more channels and choices than I can justify dealing with for what it is robbing from the rest of my life. Also, how can I be an example to my teenaged daughter that there is something better than sitting in front of tv, but then again, she is really more of an example to me.

So cancelling VaVaVoom was my first step. I need to get my ota situation squared away and then that will be it. I hope Voom is still here in the future for all of you that enjoy it, and I did.
By the way, does anybody know what the procedure is for cancelling, such as, do they send an installer to come and collect the receiver?

elocs, we have something in common. I’m an avid cyclist and have been steadily increasing my ridding over the past couple of years to my current rate of about 3500 miles a year. I applaud you in your decision to cut back on television and setting an example for your daughter. Anything taken to the extreme can be destructive, even something as harmless, “seemingly” as watching TV, so eliminating all those channels is a good move. The only drawback, at least for me, would be loosing my “Tour de France” channel, the main reason I got cable in the first place… :D

Here’s hoping Voom picks up OLN in HD when in becomes available later this year. :yes

eloc

When you call in to cancel service the CSR will set up a date to have the equipment picked up. You will continue to incur charges until that date so, try to schedule a date that falls before your next billing cycle begins. When it has been confirmed that the equipment has been turned in you will receive prorated credits back to your credit card, if one was used, or a refund will be sent in the mail. Congrats on cutting the cord. :yes

Voom4Me said:
elocs, we have something in common. I’m an avid cyclist and have been steadily increasing my ridding over the past couple of years to my current rate of about 3500 miles a year. I applaud you in your decision to cut back on television and setting an example for your daughter. Anything taken to the extreme can be destructive, even something as harmless, “seemingly” as watching TV, so eliminating all those channels is a good move. The only drawback, at least for me, would be loosing my “Tour de France” channel, the main reason I got cable in the first place… :D

Here’s hoping Voom picks up OLN in HD when in becomes available later this year. :yes

Wow, that's a lot of miles for New Jersey, or for a non-southern state. I would guess another big difference between us other than mileage, is that I assume that you are a wedgie, whereas I am bent.
I bet there are not many here that know what I mean. I may be slow, but I ride in comfort and enjoy the scenery. Also, kids think my bike is cool, so getting those comments makes riding fun.
I think that watching biking on tv for me is like watching bowling--I would rather do it than watch it, although a bad back has made me give up what little bowling I did. It is also the reason I am bent.

spahoose said:
When you call in to cancel service the CSR will set up a date to have the equipment picked up. You will continue to incur charges until that date so, try to schedule a date that falls before your next billing cycle begins. When it has been confirmed that the equipment has been turned in you will receive prorated credits back to your credit card, if one was used, or a refund will be sent in the mail. Congrats on cutting the cord. :yes

By equipment, does that mean just the receiver or also the cables, too? Do they take the dish and ota antenna as well?

I ordered a Channel Master 4228 last night in order to get my distant NBC station. I was never able to get it with Voom. The last time I tried, the installer tried to talk me into switching to Dish to get the NBC station rather than putting up an antenna. I also need to get myself an ota receiver. Currently I am about 9 days into a new billing cycle.

elocs said:
I also need to get myself an ota receiver. Currently I am about 9 days into a new billing cycle.

You might just check out FLEBAY for a used HD DTV receiver for an OTA tuner...... they are going fairly cheap over there. :D
BryanSR

eloc

elocs said:
By equipment, does that mean just the receiver or also the cables, too? Do they take the dish and ota antenna as well?

I ordered a Channel Master 4228 last night in order to get my distant NBC station. I was never able to get it with Voom. The last time I tried, the installer tried to talk me into switching to Dish to get the NBC station rather than putting up an antenna. I also need to get myself an ota receiver. Currently I am about 9 days into a new billing cycle.

The only equipment the tech will pick up is the receiver. He, or she, will take the dish and ota only if you request it. Cable stays. Voom's assumption is that if they leave the dish and ota there the next people that move in will see them and order Voom, or as in your case, you'll be reminded on a daily basis of what you are missing. If you cancel now, you will be billed for nine days, the rest will be prorated back.

Makes a lot of sense to spend thousands of dollars on a Home Theater and cut your bill to $40 per month. While you're at it why not get rid of those pesky electirc lights and get candles. Also, two tin cans and a string will work wonders for communicating......

bryansr said:
You might just check out FLEBAY for a used HD DTV receiver for an OTA tuner...... they are going fairly cheap over there. :D
BryanSR

Do you know if an access card is needed to watch OTA only? No one seems to be able to answer this question for me in other forums.

Tvlman said:
Makes a lot of sense to spend thousands of dollars on a Home Theater and cut your bill to $40 per month. While you're at it why not get rid of those pesky electirc lights and get candles. Also, two tin cans and a string will work wonders for communicating......
:haha :haha :haha :haha ROTFLMAO!

Nice show of support...

Tvlman said:
While you're at it why not get rid of those pesky electirc lights and get candles. Also, two tin cans and a string will work wonders for communicating......
Yah, but all that wax from the candles might get a bit messy,
and I don't think you could get caller ID to work with the cans and a string?
speechless-smiley-005.gif

Tvlman said:
Makes a lot of sense to spend thousands of dollars on a Home Theater and cut your bill to $40 per month.
elocs's main reason to cut back was to spend more time with his daughter and spend less time in front of a TV. I think he should be applauded for his effort and not ridiculed just because you don't agree with his decision. :p

Tvlman said:

Funny, although it would have been funnier had I written it (that's a joke). As long as you can fill your bucket, does it matter if you are taking your water from a pool or the ocean? My tv bucket will be full because a good deal of my viewing is ota tv already. I also have tons of dvds that never get watched because there MUST be something on tv. My home theater was done on the cheap, so I didn't spend thousands on it. I am cutting back, not going Amish.

As for saving money, cancelling VaVaVoom will save me $40 a month right away. When I had VaVaVoom I also had, and still have, basic cable to get NBC, so I was paying over $100 per month which I will save when I go to ota. Other lifestyle issues aside, the saving of $100 a month means something to me because I only take home $400 a week. I hope you can appreciate what it took for me to reveal that on a public forum, but some of us do not have unlimited funds for our tv viewing needs. That $100 a month means something important to me, like being able to pay for my daughter's music lessons, which mean the world to her. She will remember that the rest of her life, so I think that is worth my satellite tv.

I realize that you were just being clever and had it not been at my expense, I might be laughing too.
But I'm not.

elocs, I also applaud your decision and after thinking about what you wrote I realized 80% of our TV viewing was local networks. This WAS a great thread to read until Tvlman spewed all over it. I've seen that thread over at AVS but never paid it no attention. I think I'll head over there now and see what's up. Thanks for a good read.

I applaud you too, elocs. And now you've got me thinkin'...

I actually had to take a couple minutes to talk myself into going downtown for the Tigers baseball game today. If it was on tv would I have gone? Dunno -- and that's a shame, cuz it was a perfect day, the Tigers are the strongest team in all the land, and I had a great time (and had most of a section of Comerica Park all to myself!). Maybe it's a good thing that Voom doesn't carry FSN Detroit. And with as many movies as I watch on HDCinema channels, I can't be sure I'd ever leave the house if I had VaVa.