Wife's kinda creeped out. Directv came back to "check" on the installation??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tbranan

Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Hey, guys, I have a weird scenario to run by you: We had an install done on January 26th. The installer was a contract guy, but he was very fast and efficient. Got every thing right the first time and was quick about it. Today, my wife calls me while I am at work and says Directv is there to check on the install and make sure the installer did every thing we asked. Well, my Spidey Sense starts tingling. I have never heard of a check up visit and told her to stay on the phone with me until he left. She told him everything was fine and we were happy with the install. He said, "Ok." and walked around the house to check the dish installation, got in the truck and left.

I got to thinking: Is this a normal practice? Or, should I be worried that the guy was casing my house for a robbery or scoping out my wife? She said he had a Directv van and ID badge, but looked a bit disheveled.

Anybody out there heard of this practice? Or should I be beefing up security?

It's not unusual at all. Just Quality Control -- making sure that the installer (especially a contractor) did what he was supposed to and that the customer was satisfied with the work done.

Like said, completely normal. Most times they'll pull up take some pics of the dish and cabling and ground but every now and then they'll knock on the door and ask a few questions. It's actually part of the Q/A form (outside or inside, talked to customer). No worries, enjoy the system

It's not unusual at all. Just Quality Control -- making sure that the installer (especially a contractor) did what he was supposed to and that the customer was satisfied with the work done.

Like said, completely normal. Most times they'll pull up take some pics of the dish and cabling and ground but every now and then they'll knock on the door and ask a few questions. It's actually part of the Q/A form (outside or inside, talked to customer). No worries, enjoy the system

I agree

yep very normal. things out there are so bad in some companies that we don't and cant trust a company that goes above and beyond.

yup when I got upgraded to HD back in Dec 2010 a week later they came back out to verify the install

Regardless of being a legit qc, it still should not be an uninvited visit. If they want to qc that's fine, but what's wrong with a phone call to schedule it before hand so folks are not taken by surprise. If they ever showed up unannounced at my place & just started walking around I would not be very accommodating & they would be gone in a hurry.

Or maybe just a real follow up phone call instead of an automated call checking on the installer and quality of install. If someone does come out, call ahead of time so the owner knows what is going n when someone is going around taking pictures. I like the policy of them following up, however.

Regardless of being a legit qc, it still should not be an uninvited visit. If they want to qc that's fine, but what's wrong with a phone call to schedule it before hand so folks are not taken by surprise. If they ever showed up unannounced at my place & just started walking around I would not be very accommodating & they would be gone in a hurry.

Happens all the time, in my line of work, Bosses have to do so many inspections per month.

Thanks for the responses, guys. While I am glad to hear that it is SOP, I still would have liked a call first. From a human, preferably.

I never had anyone come back to check on my install, or even receive a phone call, email, or snail mail about it.

It seems to happen enough to be legit. But I'd also require a call before hand before I let them on my property to inspect. odd that they don't require a call to confirm an inspection appointment when you have to schedule an install.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

During audits Directv or who ever you partner your service with will pull random work orders from the previous 90 days and then they go out and "score" the jobs. No questions asked to the customer and there is nothing local management can do.

There is something the police can do. If this audit team shows up unannounced and goes on private property, that's trespassing.

Funny the same thing happen to me, but with a Comcast tech after a service repair tech came by to fix phone wiring the day before, so no worries they were just checking the tech's work by taking pictures, but I did scared me a bit after hearing noises in the backyard since my bedroom is nearby, until I looked at the Comcast van at the front of the house. :)

I tell all my customers that if DISH/DirecTV shows up, to tell them to get the hell off their property or they will call the police. I don't want those idiots messing with my good work. :)

I wouldn't be happy if someone came to look at my stuff, especially if I was married and, like the OP, my wife was home alone and didn't expect it. I bet the OP can get freebies out of it...

There is something the police can do. If this audit team shows up unannounced and goes on private property, that's trespassing.

Chip,
My experience from the caller side = a manager will always knock on the door and show an ID. Then he will only check exterior items. They don't go into buildings. I think there is something in the contract that grants Directv access to exterior equipment for service. And this is a ramdom thing...with the observation that new installers or installers with a few complaints will get more inspections.

The police idea or even more forceful action ain't too bad either. There are a lot of Directv shirts out there. Most are worn by real techs. The others. . .

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)