Will dish come out with a cloud dvr like comcast is?

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
Just imagine a hopper without worrying about how many shows you can record at a time because whatever you record will record to the cloud. Will dish ever follow comcast with this idea?

While I guess anything is possible, when it comes to DVR's both companies have different ideas on there equipment

Imagine the security of knowing your shows were on hand, and not to be lost thru a failure elsewhere, or loss of Internet connectivity.

I refused to buy Software As A Service where I worked, and will not be interested in my data being "elsewhere."

Still comes back to the transports from the Cloud. Video, being a one-way stream works really well with satellite transports.

But selective video needs a two-way transport. Not suited for satellite and there are lots of places in this country where broadband is not available enough to replace satellite.

Imagine the security of knowing your shows were on hand, and not to be lost thru a failure elsewhere, or loss of Internet connectivity.

I refused to buy Software As A Service where I worked, and will not be interested in my data being "elsewhere."

Too bad you didn't understand the concept of a hybrid cloud. The public portion is a conduit between your customers and the valued data. The private portion is the data you value.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't think I'd be interested in this. I like having things stored locally (while understanding there are some advantages to keeping it all in the cloud). I currently have unlimited data through Time Warner but if that ever gets tiered, it would kill DVR in the cloud.

When it comes to my recordings, I'd rather point at the DVR and say "in there", as opposed to up at the sky and saying "out there."

Not interested unless it was able to now save two copies, EHD is better for me, no dependency on the internet. When I am dependant on the internet Slingbox is more versatile. Even with the free Amazon or Ultraviolet cloud I still keep everything backed up since drive space is so inexpensive now. (Both movies and songs)

Too bad you didn't understand the concept of a hybrid cloud. The public portion is a conduit between your customers and the valued data. The private portion is the data you value.

My concern is having the data on site. Whether company records or movies, I want it available to me regardless of Internet connectivity.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Some companies are starting to do this. Satellite could do it as well if you connected your broadband connection to them.

I don't think in the cloud they would actually have to store every ones recorded content. Just a list of what is saved on their hard drive. Then the list points to their servers anytime a show is requested to be streamed to another device. This would also be very useful in the event of a hardware failure at the customer home. After getting their new empty DVR installed they could go to their own cloud page where all of their recorded titles are listed and check off a list of the ones they'd like to have streamed back to their new DVR and schedule the best time for such transfers so as not to have adverse affects on their internet speed when they're using it.

I was also thinking that the cable companies could store the content on their own servers in such a way to where they could use the same recording for all the people that requested a particular show to be recorded. This would save HUGE amounts of space on their end, enough to allow limitless amount of space for each individual user. I can see them having the fee of the DVR service based upon the amount of space you want to use. They could back everything up two or three times in case of equipment failures.

Props to dfwdish for understanding othere would be far fewer copies out there of the same data. Think of all the spinning disks that could be saved. Realistically you'd probably use an object store with geo-redundant data centers with 3 or 4 copies for resiliency.

More performance? More copies or content caching.

Also, data on your DVR is only "yours for as long as you have a relationship with that content provider. As far as I know they all have DRM that is proprietary to them.

In this instance, the data (on-demand programming) isn't yours.

Until such time as everyone has high speed broadband (15Mbps or better), it isn't practical to set up a download for each program someone wants. Cable is much better able to target where something goes.

The moral to that story is that if you want it, record it.

I think satellite will have a hard time with a cloud-based service with all the ridiculous data caps that cable/phone companies are implementing. Not to mention all the rural customers.

All this cloud crap is just another way for people to pry into your business. Maybe it doesn't matter so much with cable tv, but when people are uploading private pics, videos, documents and data they have no idea where they are going and who can see/use them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

1. As for DVR in cloud: as others have stated the lack of broadband for a good many rural folks and even others in big cities who have minimal DSL and don't want to pay more. Also, the dreaded DATA CAPS, and when the only broadband for rural is satellite who have the lowest data caps, it aint a gonna work so well. It works for cable because they ARE the ISP or can use the same network even if a TV customer isn't an ISP customer. This is just gonna be one of things cable can do better, just as other MVPD's do "their" thing better.

2. As for using only ONE recording that many can access: unfortunately this makes too much good sense, and because of that, it is ILLEGAL. Courts have already ruled on this: such server based DVR services MUST have the attributes of being for the PRIVATE, PERSONAL use of the subscriber. In other words, if an MSO provides a portion of the server that can be accessed by ONLY that subscriber, AND if the subscriber initiates or otherwise takes the steps to intentionally record the copyright material and for it to be stored on their personal portion of that server, and then to be streamed ONLY to that subscriber, then it is, indeed, LEGAL. So, in other words, the law is such that each one of us would have to make and save our own separate recording of the very same show using different portions of the server, like our own personal locker, for different subscribers because it meets the notion of it being for "private personal use". Horribly inefficient, but the MSO's are HAPPY they can do that, at least. The far more efficient method of the MSO keeping ONE recording of each show that could be accessed by any subscriber (with appropriate access privileges such as the content being on a channel that is part of the subscription package) is ILLEGAL, or seen to violate copyright laws.

I'm sure everyone gets the logic, and understands the ruling, but it sure seems STUPID and WASTEFUL when the real world RESULT is the SAME. But is our complicated copyright and DMCA laws.

Last edited:
3halo:

Let's not confuse user generated content (personal videos, photos, etc) with the potential of a ckoud-based DVR service. They are entirely different animals.

It is a pretty safe bet that your provider knows your DVR habits already.

Last fall when I was in Chicago Comcast has thousands of shows available in the VOD library including broadcast network shows. What they had to do with the contents owner/ programmer is negotiate for the rights (pay money ) so that a show or series would be available as VOD. Much of the network programming isn't available until the next day while if you have your own DVR it is ready when you are.

Also without a DVR built into your set top box you can't pause and rewind live TV. This function could be done using cloud storage but has been pointed out you need a broadband connection. The cable companies have a huge advantage there in that they can use their own dedicated cable and bandwidth to deliver video from their servers to their customers without having to contend with other uses. You seldom here of anyone on a cable system complaining about poor quality streaming when watching VOD.

Cable networks are evolving to where everything (live TV, VOD, Internet, Telephone ) is done using IP.

Once the rights issues can be resolved it makes sense to take the HD out of set top boxes and instead do all the storage in the cloud where if nothing else it can be backed up.

Not that far away from happening. Aereo lets you have a DVR function and the storage is on their servers.

3halo:

Let's not confuse user generated content (personal videos, photos, etc) with the potential of a ckoud-based DVR service. They are entirely different animals.

It is a pretty safe bet that your provider knows your DVR habits already.

Which is why I said "Maybe it doesn't matter so much with cable TV..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts