Will FOX dispute influence the NBA League Pass subscriber

genius2008

Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
USA
Since some RSNs were gone , does this mean we, the NBA League Pass subscribers, will see fewer HD games in the new season?

Thanks

It seems unlikely that this dispute will still be going on three weeks from now, as both companies are losing money every day.

NBA Free Preview - October 26 - November 2nd - Channels 560 - 572

Since some RSNs were gone , does this mean we, the NBA League Pass subscribers, will see fewer HD games in the new season?

Thanks

Good question, not just HD games but what about teams that broadcast primarily on a Fox regional channel. Dish just billed us for the new season, it will be worthless without the games on Fox.:mad:

Good question, not just HD games but what about teams that broadcast primarily on a Fox regional channel. Dish just billed us for the new season, it will be worthless without the games on Fox.:mad:

NBA League Pass includes the NBA League Pass Broadband subscription which gives you access to all the games by broadband. Broadband has nothing to do with FOX, it is directly from the NBA, so there are no exclusions due to disputes, and includes an archive of all the games of the season and has "DVR functionality".

Just got off the phone with a dishnetwork supervisor and asked that same question. Her response was that the league pass has NOTHING to do with the Fox dispute, I told her that my regional sports network (fsn houston) is used for league pass most of the time. She then had no answer toward a discount on The Pass for us customers. I will wait till Tuesday 10/5 and see if its resolved and then decide to leave for directv if no discounts are issued.

Here's a question. I am a huge fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. If this dispute is not settled in time to catch the next new episode that I pay Chuckles for the right to view, do you feel there anything wrong with downloading the episode from a torrent site and watching it on my computer?

Here's a question. I am a huge fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. If this dispute is not settled in time to catch the next new episode that I pay Chuckles for the right to view, do you feel there anything wrong with downloading the episode from a torrent site and watching it on my computer?

My friend says no.

I in no way, shape, or form condone illegal downloads. *cough*

When I first started working at dish they use to have the MLB Extra Innings. Ever since dish hasn't had the YES network any many years, any time some one wanted to watch the Yankees had to watch them on their opponent's network feed(example: New York vs Boston would have to be watch on Boston's RSN feed).Dish hasn't been able to settle with the owners of the YES network to get that channel back on.

If the dispute with fox goes on it could affect the ablity to some of the games on NBA league pass and NHL center ice on tv. It won't affect the ability the watch NBA league pass game on the broadband service

Anyone knows where can I find a territory map for the NBA? I now "live" in Pittsburg, and it seems I'll get only whatever shows on NBATV, TNT, ESPN and my local WGN.

Pittsburgh NBA

I lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years and was disappointed to discover they don't carry any local NBA team cause there is none in Pittsburgh, and since hockey is extremely popular in the burgh' Fox Sports Net shows all the Penguins games. I'm a not a huge hockey fan, but I like the Penguins so it didn't really matter to me, however I do like the knicks so I wish there was some way to just get MSG network without the actual pass.

It may make you feel better to do it, but no, this isn't anything 'right' or even legal about this.

Well so far with the NHL Center Ice Package, any channel that is part of the dispute will not provide an HD feed, and in fact if only disputed channels are broadcasting the game, the only thing available is a really bad Sub-standard Definition feed from the NHL... like 1980's VHS as some have aptly described it.

So technically the package still works, and technically dish never promised all games in HD, or that the viewing experience was "good"

Basically it is a huge ripoff that Dish is still trying to sell as if nothing is wrong with it.

So I don't know about NBA, but if the center ice shows any precedent I would expect that HD would be severely limited. As Dish has told me, they provide the HD if it is available, and right now with 19 sports networks in the dark, it is not as available as it should be.

I love the NBA and would like to go to Directv for their sweet League Pass but I love being able to record 3 things at once, only 2 would suck. It would be difficult to record all the network shows I watch when I'm also watching NBA every night with only 2 tuners and no OTA. Plus they are so much more expensive that what I pay with Dish.

1980's VHS should look really sweet blown up on my new 65". Can't wait. Luckily I haven't got to see the horrendous quality yet since dish isn't even bothering showing the preseason.

Last edited:
here is the problem I see. the pro sports packages are for out of market games. if your local team is shown on your regional rsns, they have exclusive local rights and the games are not available in the pro sports pack. so i can watch the out of market gamea, but my heat and marlin games will be blacked out since fox florida and sunshine are off dish

Black outs are a bitch and many customers are thinking to get the nba pkg but as on other has pointed out . if the game in on your local FS it will be blocked out in the nba pass dont matter that dish wont carry it they still have to block it out. Alot of subs are flipping for the other guys .

Many bars and commercial locations are also jumping ship over sports.

here is the problem I see. the pro sports packages are for out of market games. if your local team is shown on your regional rsns, they have exclusive local rights and the games are not available in the pro sports pack. so i can watch the out of market gamea, but my heat and marlin games will be blacked out since fox florida and sunshine are off dish

Yup, this is exactly right. You will be able to watch the out of market games, possibly in hd but maybe not, but no watching your local team. They will be blacked out.

This whole dispute is just ridiculous and its time for it to end.

I looked at directv nba league pass schedule and it seems they offer maybe 2 games a night in hd thats not on tnt or espn. which provider has the most games in hd. i cant watch cell phone quality basketball on a hdtv.

The online schedule for directv isn't accurate. I just switched to directv and the guide is showing that like 18 of 19 game feeds coming up are going to be in HD, . It is pretty awesome. If i'm looking at the guide correctly.