Will my 811 work at my friends house who has HDTV and using DN?

whicky1978

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 26, 2005
Clarksville, Tennessee
I have a friend who has a high def. TV, and uses DN. He may have a Super Bowl party at his house, and I was wondering if I could simply hook up my 811 reciever since he did not get one.

Also, does DN offer the Super Bowl on pay-per-view. He can't get local channels well, and I can't get them at all.

I have thought about using an outside antenna. I have an HDTV with an integrated tuner. Do I need a special antenna for OTA broadcast?

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
whicky1978 said:
I have a friend who has a high def. TV, and uses DN. He may have a Super Bowl party at his house, and I was wondering if I could simply hook up my 811 reciever since he did not get one.

Also, does DN offer the Super Bowl on pay-per-view. He can't get local channels well, and I can't get them at all.

I have thought about using an outside antenna. I have an HDTV with an integrated tuner. Do I need a special antenna for OTA broadcast?
Well, your 811 should work if it's connected to a Dish antenna. Take it over there and try it out. But, unless something changes between now and Feb. 5, Dish won't carry the Superbowl in HD.

Yes, you do need an antenna for OTA. What type of antenna you need depends on lots of things. Check www.antennaweb.org for info on digital stations in your area, and a ballpark guess on what antenna would work for you.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
However, this is a DirecTV thread.

BUT yes, your box will pull in whatever YOU are subscribed to, even if you move it to your buddy's Dish. It will not get what he subs to if you don't. Even though according to Dish, moving a box to another address so you can circumvent additional fees is ILLEGAL.

Last edited:

JH1949

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 14, 2005
Corvette City
whicky1978 said:

Here are the 2 antennas already discussed with you:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=47678

If you cannot get a UHF channel 27 OTA signal lock of 50 with your 811 plugged into your friend's antenna, here is another suggestion based on my own expereinces at 55 miles from Nashville: pay the guy that installed your E* dish to plug a meter into your friend's antenna and tell you if it is bringing in enough signal for HD OTA. If it is not, ask him if it could be increased enough by installing a 28db preamp.

Good Luck !

Last edited:

whicky1978

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 26, 2005
Clarksville, Tennessee
charper1 said:
However, this is a DirecTV thread.

BUT yes, your box will pull in whatever YOU are subscribed to, even if you move it to your buddy's Dish. It will not get what he subs to if you don't. Even though according to Dish, moving a box to another address so you can circumvent additional fees is ILLEGAL.

I must have clicked the wrong link by mistake. :yikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts