Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

Adding another function isn't going to tax my brain that much.
The blog I was watching noted that the swipe up gesture is used to access the control panel in older iOS versions. I can see this creating confusion in a mixed iOS stable of toys such as yours where the iPad is running iOS 10 (to support your security DVR) and presumably everything else is running iOS 11. Of course if all you use the iPad for is the DVR, I don't suppose it matters but it isn't just about you. ;)

That being said the image should be more detail as the pixel density is measurably greater and much higher contrast ratio.
Detail is pixel count. Higher pixel density just means a smaller image. If the screen happens to have an odd aspect ratio, that means you probably have less usable pixels or you have to center cut.

Are we to the point yet in wireless technology where the stuff that you buy isn't tied to a carrier? I know you can buy unlocked phones but I wonder if we're at a point where all phones can work with all carriers.

If you have to buy it through your carrier, I'm betting that activation isn't optional.

With flagship phones and some few lower down the chain there are phones that can be on any carrier, or nearly so. Otherwise way too many phones are single carrier only. For me, I'm not interested in anything that isn't portable among carriers even though I'll probably stick with Verizon unless the other carriers get better coverage around me.

Buying through a carrier usually requires activation even if the device is portable, but usually you can get them unlocked in one way or the other. Verizon is still doing 2 year contracts at reduced pricing for many devices, don't know about other carriers.

Looks like I'm staying up until 2am CDT to preorder two new iPhone 8+ phones. The Mrs wants the gold one. I'll get the space gray. 64GB.

I would get unlimited data but my bill would go up $80 a month.

Hall- Do you sync to the cloud only when connected to fast wifi?
The iPhone handles this automatically if you turn the setting on. I don't remember all the details but I think mine is set to send the original photos to the cloud and store a lower bitrate version on my device. When even that isn't enough it will remove older photos from my device completely and stream them back in if I scroll to that part of my photo library.

Like I said, I could have a couple of the details mixed up because I haven't looked at the settings in a long time.
I have mine set to "not use cellular data". That means it only syncs over WiFi and no option for "fast" WiFi.

Regarding what king3pj said, it automatically backs up (when WiFi is available). I'm not sure what he means by "handles this automatically" though - I was thinking he means the 'delete-photos-to-make-more-room' option, although I don't see a setting to do that automatically. There is a setting for the amount of cloud space Google allows. If you select "high quality" (what does that mean ??), the storage space is "unlimited" and free. If you select "Original" resolution, you get 15gb (for free).

Verizon's is $300 paid out over 24 months but only IF you get their unlimited plan.
I just looked at the trade deals. They offered $55 for my Samsung 5. I may let it go as I have not turned it on since switching to the iphone. My 6+ is being offered $195
Just wait.... This may be a preliminary offer to see how many people 'bite'. I'm waiting until the 8/8+ is actually available and getting in people's hands and if they don't change the offer, I'll wait. Once the "X" becomes available, see if VZW changes the offer.

For some reason GM made the decision to put the only USB port in my car inside a second compartment just above my glove box.
Typical GM "design". Rented a Silverado recently and it had audio controls .... on the back of the steering wheel !

I like what the X has to offer but I hate that it didn't come in a plus size. So I might wait until next year to see what the 8s or x2 have to offer. I feel as though they rushed the x and why not call it iPhone edition? I'm not sure if I'll upgrade to an 8 this year. I'm undecided.

I've read rumors that the "X2" due out in about a year will add 600 MHz support. TMo uses this- any others? Longer range, but slower speed. Maybe it will be their chance to add an additional size.

The X turns me off. In fact, if I had to upgrade next week from my 6+, it'd be to a 7+.

Reactions: IcEWoLF
Hall: My 2004.5 Cummins (came wrapped in a Dodge 3500 pickup) has audio controls on the back of the steering wheel. Once I found them, I grew to love them.

I'd switch to AT&T if it wasn't for my inlaws living in a rural area. That and our phone bill being wonky for several months while we wait for the gift card to pay off my iPad and my daughter's SE. Their unlimited is cheaper than Verizon's.

The lack of Gigabit LTE and LTE Band 71 on both the iPhone 8 & X is ridiculous. How can the iPhone X be touted as "The Phone that redefines phones or the next ten years" when it's missing current technology? Now, granted, only the LG V30 supports LTE Band 71 (600 MHz) at tis time, but I expected Apple to support this new Band to widen its appeal.

I was planning on staying up tonight to order the iPhone 8 so my wife and I could both be on T-Mobile's new Senior plan, but I guess I get to sleep and wait until the iPhone 8s... Or switch to the LG V30(?):eek:

Reactions: navychop
I overslept my alarm, ordered both at 4am CDT and both will be here on the 22nd. Space Grey for me and Gold for her. Even getting $265 a piece for trade in on our 6s Plus's and we still keep our existing data plan.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered 2 iPhone 8 plus's for the wife and I. I was going to stay with my 7 but I like the wireless charging , updated camera a little bit. Plus AT&T had a bogo on the 8 plus so it was a great deal .

Did not have to specify a carrier when ordering the watch this morning so there is a single cellular chip for all. Remains to be seen if activating that function is optional.

I see I can't order the unlocked 64GB iPhone 8 in Space Grey. It looks like the same is true for the carrier versions, other colors, and different memory configurations.

I can get an ?TV 4K, though...

I went to bed and said, if I wake up in the night, I'll pre-order, otherwise, I'll take my chances when the sun came up. My body knew what I wanted, and I woke up right at 2am central, with no alarm. Got the 8 plus gold ordered from Verizon, arrives on Friday! Took about a minute.

Reactions: Neutron and Foxbat
I went to bed and said, if I wake up in the night, I'll pre-order, otherwise, I'll take my chances when the sun came up. My body knew what I wanted, and I woke up right at 2am central, with no alarm. Got the 8 plus gold ordered from Verizon, arrives on Friday! Took about a minute.

Once my wife is set on my 7, I'll trade in her 6 for $200. And that will be one month's service on Verizon.

10am (EST), looking at Verizon's website, I can order an 8 or 8+ and it still claims delivery "by" 9/22. Silly people getting up in the middle of the night to order.... :p:p:p

I like that Verizon has the Watch on a 6 month payment plan. Not ordering one yet if I do but glad to see that it's an option

Nope. I have a 7 Plus, does everything I need and Ill ride it until the 24 months is up. Maybe Ill get a 9. The need to upgrade a phone every year has past, they are pretty mature now, so Ill just take whatever is out when my VZW upgrade is ready each time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)