Wing Dish Questions

boulderdentist

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wednesday in Denver Metro we received 23 inches of a heavy, wet, spring storm. I have a 1000.2 Western Arc Dish pole mounted. I have better than average 110 and 119 signal strength, but pretty low 129 readings, most in the low to mid 20's. I have tried at least 3 times with the receiver and TV out at the dish to peak. Readings on 129 don't improve. Dishpointer does not detect any LOS obstructions. Wednesday night when the branches of my Austrian Pine were sagging under the heavy snow load, 129 signal went up by 20-24 points
to the high 40's which tells me the tree is interfering with 129. Options are to move the 1000.2 or wing dish aimed at 129. Would a Dish 500 work? The 1000.2 has a fourth input for another dish. Would the dual LNB be OK? Lastly would I need to disable or disconnect 129 on the 1000.2? Two days later with some high altitude sun melting and branches recovered readings have returned to pre storm. Thanks for any input.

Scott

image.jpeg
If the wing is mounted on or near the same pole it won't help you.

The 1000.2 has a fourth input for another dish. Would the dual LNB be OK? Lastly would I need to disable or disconnect 129 on the 1000.2?
If you do get a second Dish aimed at 129 with strong signal, I would recommend using that input, and covering the 129 LNB on the 1000.2 with aluminum foil to prevent the switch from defaulting to that LNB instead of the wing dish. I had to do the same thing recently with the 61.5 LNB on my 1000.4 EA dish.

The best option maybe to move the 1000.2 to a clearer location. Further back away from the tree or higher to clear the branches.. You may also be able to detune the 110 and optimize the 129 but you have proven the 129 is blocked

The type dish does not matter as long as you are getting feed from the sats. For example, users in Mexico tend to use larger dishes with only 1 lnb each looking at one sat location to get the three sats that a normal dish used for WA. If you need to use a Dish500 just to get 1 sat location due to line of sight issues, that may be what you need to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)