Wiring and hardware for a house with many TVs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeSVO

Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Florida
Hi everyone! I'm glad to have found a good forum for satellite stuff. Most of the other ones I looked at seemed to have old posts, and were not much help. So here's my issue...

I did a job for a guy about 5 or 6 years ago. He had 13 TVs in that house, and wanted to be able to use the Whole House DVR feature to access his recorded content from any room. Where he hit the limit was with the switch, I guess, since a SWM-32 is apparently (2) SWM-16s in one chassis, and the network is not shared internally. And that makes sense, I think...it's made for an MDU, where the content would NOT be available across the network.

However... He called me last week because he's building another house next door. That house will have 10-13 TVs as well, and it looks like we're going to run into the same issue unless there has been some development that I'm not aware of. I have not played with the Genie stuff in a system this size, so I'm not sure what to recommend. If he can't access a common DVR from *every* location in the house, that's OK, I just need to know what the maximum number of displays is that can view content off the DVR, and make sure they're where he needs them to be.

Any help is appreciated. We're going to wire up the house in a week or so, so I'm trying to get some solid info to work with.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

:welcome to Satelliteguys MikeSVO!

A new lnb that supports 21 tuners is just coming out. I don't know how many tuners his 10-13 tvs will entail, but it might be a solution for him.

If you are familiar with the technology in the SWM32 IMHO this may be the best solution for future expansion. As Raoul said there is an LNB coming out that supports 21 tuners with one cable (in addition to current models supporting 8 or 13) but in order to expand beyond 21 tuners with current technology you would need to run the 3 additional cables to connect a SWM32.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Multiswitch White Paper.pdf found this gem for you. start at page 24. if you choose the option on page 24, just make sure his switch is next to the D* equipment. if you choose the option on page 28 then you should be fine however you connect the system to the internet.

food for thought, if he's doing 4k on any of the TV's, the p24 option should actually be of more interest to you because of bandwidth limitations. just make sure to have any genie system on one splitter for maximum effectiveness ( if you put it on a diferent splitter same switch or different switch all together you may encounter problems).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)