With the classic wrestling, can a guy catch GLOW, POWW, or LPWA on anywhere?

ditto....saw a few at the met center too

That was also the day i realized wrestling was fake, not from that incident, but they taped 3 shows that evening, and Jake "the Milkman" Milliman, came out and got his butt kicked 3 times in 3 hours... but it was well worth the $5 to get in!
ahh the TV tapings..went to a few of those

Jake the Milkman Milliman & Sodbuster Kenny Jay :)

While I don't know much about the promotion, I'm thinking those attacks must have been somewhat common in that promotion.

Cade

The low blows were very common and creative in GLOW. They were performed to look more violent on POWW and FLAIR didn't use them often but would pull something sexy suddenly similar to Mickie and Trish at WM.

I went to a few house shows back when WCW would come to northeast Georgia. In the earlier years, they would bring Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, or Sting. Before long, though (and this was even before Nitro began), I guess they determined that those guys were too big of stars to come to our little community. About the biggest star you'd see then was Brad Armstrong beating up on a jobber. :( But before that, it was like I said, they would throw several main event matches on you in one night. I remember seeing Flair and Sting go at it for a while one night. I'm not sure if many people realized it was Flair (and maybe I didn't at the time), but I can remember him as the Black Scorpion in one of those matches and before Sting could get the mask off, the Scorpion would be joined by others (other scorpions) and would flee away. I'm pretty sure this was the early 90s (maybe 1990 or 1991). I'll never forget one of the promos that Flair did as the Black Scorpion (that can be found on You Tube).

"Think really hard, Sting. Who could I be? Who could hate you so? Think back... California, 1986." :D

Cade

Since we are on the topic of wrestling promotions... Which one was it where they'd use forks or spoons and stuff as foreign objects? I'm thinking it was shown on ESPN at one time. I'm not confusing it with AWA (I don't think) and I'm thinking it was the Global Wrestling Federation.

Cade

Global was pretty straightforward as I remember it. My guess is it was the USWA which was on ESPN along with World Class for awhile. The USWA with Lawler did use some stuff like the forks, fireballs, chairs, etc....Sometimes they ran some show from Texas every now and then that wasnt WCCW or USWA so it could be that as well.

Global was pretty straightforward as I remember it. My guess is it was the USWA which was on ESPN along with World Class for awhile. The USWA with Lawler did use some stuff like the forks, fireballs, chairs, etc....Sometimes they ran some show from Texas every now and then that wasnt WCCW or USWA so it could be that as well.

Thanks. It might have been something out of Texas. I can remember the USWA pretty well because of Lawyer. I can remember thinking (even as a young kid) that it was extremely violent for it's time.

Cade

There is also WEW (Womens Extreme Wrestling) out of Philly & Delaware. That stuff was crazy. They actually have "hardcore" matches (no get your mind of the gutter...not that hardcore)
Women's Extreme Wrestling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm somewhat familiar with WEW. I think I used to see it on Fox Sports South from time to time but it never really did much for me. But yeah, I'm like you (in an earlier post), I liked WOW. I think if it would have had a promoter with half a brain, it may have succeeded. Either that or eventually the better of the women would have become more experienced and taken away by WWE...

Cade

Wnat to start a womens wrestling promotion

I wonder how you would create a women wrestling promotion? I would like to start one but I dont know how much you would have to pay the girls and Im' also curious about how you can find and hire girls. Do you just run an ad or what? I also heard one time that WWE and other promotions bought the attire for the wrestlers bc its part of the gimmick. If thats true do that partner up with someone? Would you partner up with Venus Swim or somebody for the attire? And how would you go about getting stuff on TV? I think you have to be mroe careful because people are more conservative about this stuff than they were in the 80s. You would have to cut some moves out automatically for women these days: piledrivers, pole rams, low blows, etc. because none of htat would be acceptable to people today. If something like FLAIR (the low-blow stomp to the girl from the man) or GLOW (the broken arm skit and Americana pole rammed low) aired today people would have it took off the air automatically. So you do want it like WOW and family friendly.

You would also need to purchase a ring. And, I would assume that you would need to purchase several rings in the event that you were to ever travel or one just become damaged somehow while on the road.

You've also got to consider the amount that the venues would charge in order to use their facility. I'm sure outside of that they might also get a cut in the merchandise sells (if there is any) and advertisement on television.

I have no idea what it might cost to air a program like that on television but, initially, you would probably have to air a shorter program (maybe thirty minutes).

I don't have a clue about the ring attire issue but not very many women would probably want somebody telling them exactly what to wear. I guess a deal with a company like "Venus" would work but the only thing (after looking at their website) is that you would want to be like WOW in the way you go along with gimmicks. In other words, unless she's portraying a lifeguard, swim wear model, model, or just some type of "beauty-queen" or "LA girl", a one-piece or a bikini won't fit her gimmick. I can't see somebody portraying an educator, cow-girl, somebody from mythology, or a business woman dressed in swim wear. And too, if you have a deal like that, they might get part of the profits because they would want to be mentioned on the program (I'm sure) in some fashion. However, that would probably be an ideal kind of deal because, in addition to the regular male audience, you'd probably attract a large number of females (that could be advertised to).

I'm not sure you are accurate about the whole "people being more accepting in the 80's of certain situations than they are today". You'll have some parents that might be pissed with situations that really don't seem that bad but, regardless, I think most people are understanding of the fact that it's fake. Now, I'm not quite sure what would make a woman that attractive want to take a hit like that from an "old man", but it's probably really good money (which is the part you'll really have to worry about to find somebody and keep them on board). Back to the 80's and today, though: Did you see some of the things Stevie Richards did to Trish Stratus during that feud she had with Victoria? Or what about all of the times Team 3-D low-blow Gail Kim or other women on TNA? If anything, that proves that people are just as accepting of a woman taking a "low-blow" (or other attacks) from a man today as they were in the 80's. And, sadly, it's probably more accepted today than it was then. I think on some issues (that belong in the pit) people will always be non-accepting (I know I am) but what happens to a girl in a wrestling ring (no matter how dastardly, mean, or whatever) won't top many lists -- other than the parents of some kids.

As for airing it (again), you might also want to consider setting up a website with profiles of the wrestlers and talent and information (and possibly even a web-show). You'd want to make plenty of people aware of the product.

And, most importantly, before even starting something like that, you'd also probably want to have a fair amount of cash on hand and a business plan. Oh, and you can't just throw the women into the ring untrained -- they'll need training so they'll know how to take the punishment.

Cade

Back when SKY TV first launched their sat service in the UK. I believe around 1986, we use to watch GLOW. I didn't compare to the WWF even then. However, it was watchable. In those days any wrestling from the US was one of the channels. I remember seeing both GLOW and WWF on the German channel RTL + and on some of the Luxembourg channels.

i love flair (sunset rose - becky clampet) my first wrestling match sunset rose vs randy rocket ??? (maybe wrongname). I'm hoping for re again watch flair :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)