Would 50 feet of RG6 make a difference for powering an amp?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Televes, I got the larger UHF only antenna, recommends using solid core copper RG6 from the power supply to the amp on the antenna.

I do not have much of that cable, but I do have plenty of RG11, but it also copper-clad..

Would it really make a difference? Plenty of satellite systems work fine with copper-clad cable.

If I were to replace the RG6 with RG11m would that make a difference?

Doubt that the voltage drop would be big enough to affect it. If unsure, put a "T" near the amp, so the amp is powered, to check the voltage. Compare to the voltage at supply. Or measure the resistance of the 50 ft run and multiply by the current rating of the amp,( that would = voltage drop) If they are smart, they put the voltage regulator in the amp, not the supply.)
I also have about 50 ft of copper clad to the amp . Works fine.

Reactions: fred555
At least on the Channel Master CM-7777 pre-amp, the power supply puts out way more than is needed to power the preamp by almost 2x I think. Then the preamp regulates whats ever is left down to the required voltage. On this particular preamp it is engineered so the power supply does not have to T right at the preamp, compensating for voltage drop very well.

I have my Power supply 50-75 feet away in a utility room.

I remember the 2 input CM7777 had a power supply putting out something like 27 volts AC. Rectified and regulated to (IIRR) 15 or 12(?) volts in the amp. It and a Winegard model were the only amp I'd use BITD.

Reactions: fred555
I remember the 2 input CM7777 had a power supply putting out something like 27 volts AC. Rectified and regulated to (IIRR) 15 or 12(?) volts in the amp. It and a Winegard model were the only amp I'd use BITD.

Brian had a thread somewhere about the CM-7777 and the actual requirements for the amp for a project he was working on.

EDIT:

Here it is: CM-7777s changed recently I think. The CM-7777 factory supply was 15V, the amp had a 7V regulator, and Brian needed to use 12v that he had available already at his antenna.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3664460/

The lower voltage , 12v, but higher amperage surprisingly gave a higher signal for me!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)