Wow terrible service with Dish moving to Directv

On a scheduling issue. I understand. However, if the audit team only conducts interviews during regular business hours, then they stand a high probability of not getting the info requested, or a no answer to the call.
For exmaple, if I do not recognize an inbound call, I let it go to voice mail. I have no time for what is most likely a telemarkerter.

I'm the same way. If Dish tried calling me for an audit they would never get a hold of me because I never answer unknown numbers. I have no reason to be audited since all of my Hopper equipment is in my house and connected to my internet. The only thing that would make them think is my purchased 211z receiver but that is noted on my account for my Tailgater, it's just sitting in the garage unhooked.

Yes, That would raise the suspicions of any reasonable person.
I guess having none of the receivers connected to the internet would be better. This would probably allow that customer to not be bothered by Audit.
I don't like the hopper as it does not suit my needs. I have 4 tv's. Unless Dish comes out with a 4 tv hopper, no dice.
I don't even care if I ever get HD service either.

What's wrong with getting a Hopper, Super Joey and two Joeys? This would give you HD on all four TVs along with 5 tuners. If 5 tuners isn't enough then get two Hoppers. It's not like Dish doesn't have the ability to solve your 4 TV issue.

I have no reason to be audited since all of my Hopper equipment is in my house and connected to my internet
They have surely audited customers who are set up the same or similar to you. People with two receivers have claimed to been audited too, so the belief that it's people with a lot of receivers isn't 100% either.

They have surely audited customers who are set up the same or similar to you. People with two receivers have claimed to been audited too, so the belief that it's people with a lot of receivers isn't 100% either.

Well if they want to audit me bring it on, I have nothing to hide. If they want to get huffy with me that's fine too, I know the right people to contact in order to straighten things out.

Well if they want to audit me bring it on, I have nothing to hide. If they want to get huffy with me that's fine too, I know the right people to contact in order to straighten things out.

Well good for you that you know the right contact. But not every Dish customer have those contacts. Plus as mentioned above...people with 2 receivers had been audited also

It happens to me also...when Dish Audit team called me to audit my 625 & 311 receiver way back. I was not at home. They disabled the 311. Called them from home, completed the audit and politely asked them to take 311 off my account since I was using 311 maybe for 4-5 hours or less a month. The way Audit team talked to me makes me want to cancel the service at the spot. Once audit was finished and they were satisfied that both boxes are in my home, I asked the Dish Audit team to take my 311 off. They were like we are sorry. I actually thanked them of their call because it made me realize that I was giving Dish money for 311 that I don't really used. They finally deactivated the 311 for me and asked me to keep the 311 with me. In the process got 625 updated to 722k for free with some discounts :)

What's wrong with getting a Hopper, Super Joey and two Joeys? This would give you HD on all four TVs along with 5 tuners. If 5 tuners isn't enough then get two Hoppers. It's not like Dish doesn't have the ability to solve your 4 TV issue.
Please permit my ignorance....What is a super joey? What does it do?
I have use for just 4 tuners.
Question: If a Hopper is three tuners, how then does that translate to five tuners?

Question: If a Hopper is three tuners, how then does that translate to five tuners?

The Super Joey is like a Joey but it adds two more tuners to the Hopper. It makes the Hopper a 5 tuner system. So if you went with a Hopper, Super Joey and two regular Joeys you would have a complete 4 room HD setup with 5 tuners. The monthly equipment fees for this setup would be $36.

Reactions: dishcomm

I have a better question. How is it you have managed to have 8968 post on this site and do not know the answer to that. But the answer is that it is a joey with two tuners in it that seamlessly integrate into the hoppers. In other words when used in conjunction with a hopper it is like having a 5 tuner hopper.

I can tell you DTV does not audit. I have a co-worker who uses one of his son's receivers (at a different house, miles away) and they share the cost.

My parents and my brother do something similar.

Stackers pay & hackers don't. DTV doesn't have a problem with either.....

I have been with Dish over 10 years now and went through a audit call. Went through every thing that has been reported in this thread.... Will never go through another one again.

Everyone understands that, that team specifically is not paid to perform customer service by any means, right? They will complete their task to their liking, and if it cannot be done, the receivers(all but one) will be deactivated. You have to call them back, and perform all tasks, and then they, and only they, will unlock the account

I have been with Dish since 1997. Not once have I been contacted by Audit. Never had my boxes connected to phone or internet. Of course I have just 4. Auto pay. AT 250.
I don't have any late pays. If the audits are random, I guess I've just been lucky.
I keep my list of receiver numbers with me in case I'm audited.
If they call the wife( her name is on the account as well) I'm screwed. She would reply with "what the hell are you talking about? I have no clue"
My wife would do the same thing and I would have no receiver active by the time I got home. Yes you have been lucky. But it could be your turn tomorrow. You never know what motivates them to call and check on your account.

Dish Nazis! That is the correct term.And for those that think having a hopper will prevent or reduce your chances of an audit, guess again.

I will say that on the last audit,they allowed me to call them when it was also convienent for me.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
It is not disputed to call them when convenient, but they will usually deactivate all but the primary receiver on the account until verification. Also, one inspiration for the audit, is when a customer service agent feels that there may be account stacking going on, based on queues from the call, and they submit a form. Just one avenue of approach.

While I have sympathy and support any business trying to do what it can to not have theft of their services, I think Dish goes about it the WRONG way. I just don't buy that Account Stacking is a BIG problem. It is probably less than minor. Of course, Dish is free to provide its estimate of what percentage of their total subscribers they feel are Account Stacking. Somehow, I think the percentage would be embarrassingly puny, so Dish will never provide it. Piracy, is another matter, and Dish has always made public statements about the problem of piracy (I can't recall Dish EVER having made any public statements that Account Stacking is costing them even modest amounts of money) and Dish spends millions licensing the latest Nagravison encryption and sending out new access cards, so Piracy must be a big enough problem to warrant such an expense.

However, with regards to Account Stacking, this is Charlie's CHEAP personality at play. Cheap because he has lost good customers over it. Most people simply don't understand what is going on and heaven forbid the cordless or wireless phone battery goes dead because you are then considered an Account Stacker.

Dish does not need any more reasons to send people running to DirecTV. Dish has very disappointing subscriber growth numbers and it ain all the economy while DirecTV has gained a lot of subscribers. I just think Dish should take a step back and really re-evaluate the Account Stacking problem--if it even rises to that--and maybe find a better way to do it, or be far more selective of which accounts they want to audit if they see something suspicious like two different telephone numbers (which via business level caller ID they know the name on the account for both numbers) or two different IP addressees or odd activity on the boxes or just drop the issue in the interest of good corporate relations with its subscribers. Unfortunately, Dish has always had the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitude, and it is of no help, especially if people want to come back to Dish, but not after being treated like pigeon stool.

I just wanted to add that I was audited once, and for NO GOOD reason as I had always checked all my boxes and they all reports having reported in to Dish EVERY DAY, so there is some random or "He's got a lot boxes, but forget the system is telling us he's calling in from the same telephone number" attitude at play. So, an audit does NOT mean there is something fishy about your account. They seem to audit at random accounts that have more than a few boxes.

Last edited:
While I have sympathy and support any business trying to do what it can to not have theft of their services, I think Dish goes about it the WRONG way. I just don't buy that Account Stacking is a BIG problem. It is probably less than minor. Of course, Dish is free to provide its estimate of what percentage of their total subscribers they feel are Account Stacking. Somehow, I think the percentage would be embarrassingly puny, so Dish will never provide it. Piracy, is another matter, and Dish has always made public statements about the problem of piracy (I can't recall Dish EVER having made any public statements that Account Stacking is costing them even modest amounts of money) and Dish spends millions licensing the latest Nagravison encryption and sending out new access cards, so Piracy must be a big enough problem to warrant such an expense.

However, with regards to Account Stacking, this is Charlie's CHEAP personality at play. Cheap because he has lost good customers over it. Most people simply don't understand what is going on and heaven forbid the cordless or wireless phone battery goes dead because you are then considered an Account Stacker.

Dish does not need any more reasons to send people running to DirecTV. Dish has very disappointing subscriber growth numbers and it ain all the economy while DirecTV has gained a lot of subscribers. I just think Dish should take a step back and really re-evaluate the Account Stacking problem--if it even rises to that--and maybe find a better way to do it, or be far more selective of which accounts they want to audit if they see something suspicious like two different telephone numbers (which via business level caller ID they know the name on the account for both numbers) or two different IP addressees or odd activity on the boxes or just drop the issue in the interest of good corporate relations with its subscribers. Unfortunately, Dish has always had the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitude, and it is of no help, especially if people want to come back to Dish, but not after being treated like pigeon stool.

I just wanted to add that I was audited once, and for NO GOOD reason as I had always checked all my boxes and they all reports having reported in to Dish EVERY DAY, so there is some random or "He's got a lot boxes, but forget the system is telling us he's calling in from the same telephone number" attitude at play. So, an audit does NOT mean there is something fishy about your account. They seem to audit at random accounts that have more than a few boxes.

Well said post. A little common courtesy can go a long way in any situation imo.

Without going into detail & talking about a forbidden subject. I know of a modified fta box, 2 things that really get under my skin about this. 1) Dish is still incapable of securing their system & 2) the pq blows my 722 out of the water.

Yet they'll harass paying customers when there is bigger fish to fry. I just don't get it.