Wow terrible service with Dish moving to Directv

Dish Nazis! That is the correct term.And for those that think having a hopper will prevent or reduce your chances of an audit, guess again.

I will say that on the last audit,they allowed me to call them when it was also convienent for me.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Must be a kinder more gentler DISH Nazi department. :oldwink

Dish Nazis! That is the correct term.
Based on a simplistic overview of the first half of the 20th century, I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Maybe "arrogant police officer" would be a better comparison.
And for those that think having a hopper will prevent or reduce your chances of an audit, guess again.
It won't reduce it?

I'm not sure how much Dish is losing from customer's sharing accounts but I bet it's a pretty big chunk of change. I actually know of some people doing it now. I let them know that it's wrong but they usually don't care.

I think the biggest loss of revenue is from businesses, especially bars. From my experience bar owners are some of the most frugal people and paying for TV is very low on their list of priorities. Even though it's low on their list they do realize that it's a very important part of their business and they need to have it, they just don't want to pay much for it. Since public accounts are the most expensive bars are always trying to get around paying that much money. They will usually use a receiver from their home or a friends account. Sometimes they just set up the account as a fake residential account. They can save themselves anywhere from $40 to $100 a month.

Dish and DirecTV actually have audit teams that they send out to locations to catch these people. I actually know a bar owner who was caught by DirecTV. They sent a person to his bar with a hidden camera and video taped his TVs showing out of market games. He was using his residential account from his apartment upstairs and getting Sunday Ticket for the residential rate. He was saving himself around $700 a month by doing it.

Based on a simplistic overview of the first half of the 20th century, I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Maybe "arrogant police officer" would be a better comparison.

There is not much difference between today's modern, military equipped police forces in the USA when their officers get arrogant and the police forces used by dictatorships (like fascists). Neither feels that their actions can be questioned.

Of course, Dish is free to provide its estimate of what percentage of their total subscribers they feel are Account Stacking. Somehow, I think the percentage would be embarrassingly puny
Nowadays, Dish could query every account that has more than "X" receivers and receivers that either don't dial-in or have an IP address, filter out those who dial in from the same phone # or those that have the same IP address (I realize not everyone connects the receivers to the internet). Those remaining accounts could be the only ones necessary to target (Dish's thinking, not mine - they "believe" in this audit process).

I'm not sure how much Dish is losing from customer's sharing accounts but I bet it's a pretty big chunk of change
One also has to look at it this way: If the person using the "shared" receiver no longer had access to it, would they sign up with Dish ? If not, Dish isn't out any money at all. Back when Directv was heavily and fairly easily pirated, I knew people that had hacked cards. When the security was eventually locked down tight, they signed up with Dish or cable - none stayed with Directv. :eek

One also has to look at it this way: If the person using the "shared" receiver no longer had access to it, would they sign up with Dish ? If not, Dish isn't out any money at all. Back when Directv was heavily and fairly easily pirated, I knew people that had hacked cards. When the security was eventually locked down tight, they signed up with Dish or cable - none stayed with Directv. :eek

Good point. The people that are this cheap are not going to sign up for Dish regardless. The person I know doing it only has had an antenna and if they weren't able to share the other person's receiver they would just go back to using only their antenna. I suppose Dish can look at it as they are making an extra $7 a month for that receiver they normally wouldn't. Good luck convincing them that.

Nowadays, Dish could query every account that has more than "X" receivers and receivers that either don't dial-in or have an IP address, filter out those who dial in from the same phone # or those that have the same IP address (I realize not everyone connects the receivers to the internet). Those remaining accounts could be the only ones necessary to target (Dish's thinking, not mine - they "believe" in this audit process).
All my receivers have been Internet-connected since day 1. Got an audit last year.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I really don't know what throws up a red flag for Dish to do an audit. Maybe it has to do with suspicious activity, maybe more receiver than normal or maybe they just randomly select customers. Trying to figure out the reason for this is similar to trying to figure out how a customer is rated a plan A, B or C.

All my receivers have been Internet-connected since day 1. Got an audit last year.
I said they "could" do it this way. Leaving it the way it is now just gives the audit group more work (or job security). ;)

Which makes no sense why a single Hopper account would be audited.
Just throwing out a random thought.... nevermind.... I was going to say that Dish requires the receivers to be at the address they have on file, but since they allow billing addresses and service addresses, that's not accurate to say. I can't think off-hand why a single Hopper account would be audited. People have said Hopper with Joeys shouldn't be "since the Joeys are useless without the Hopper" but I pointed out how you could use a Joey in a different location (address) than the Hopper.

If they made appointments, it wouldn't be particularly effective.
I bet it would still work (trick) a whole bunch of people.

I could have sworn that people have said they were left a message and phone number, direct to the audit group, in the past. They could easily shut down receivers and wait for people to call in. Have the phone system set up so that calls from their number are directed to the audit group. So many people are so hardcore when it comes to TV, even an account stacker isn't likely to put two and two together and realize they need all of their receivers back "home" where they're supposed to be.

People have lives and don't stay home all the time. People work, thats how they pay the Dish Network bill to begin with. The times that they call are most people's work day.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
Good point. The people that are this cheap are not going to sign up for Dish regardless. The person I know doing it only has had an antenna and if they weren't able to share the other person's receiver they would just go back to using only their antenna. I suppose Dish can look at it as they are making an extra $7 a month for that receiver they normally wouldn't. Good luck convincing them that.
That's an excellent point. As I mentioned a few months back about a coworker that has A stacked Dish account with 4 Hoppers, 3 Joeys & two 211k's split among 5 people. If I remember correctly he said they have Americas Everything with BB@Home and the bill is split evenly among the 5. Now I don't know what the total monthly cost would be but he told me that if they ever lost the account that none of the 5 of them would sign up on there own but rather someone else in the group would sign up and the process would start over again, or they would just not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, in the eyes of Dish, you are stealing cable in that case(you being the stackers), so I'm sure that a majority of account stackers would sign up separately. No matter, you'll always have exceptions. Plus I'm sure when they do the math, it's not the value they are getting from the equipment, it's the value they are losing for the programming pckage. I'm sure they do not account for a number of people who wouldn't sign up at all.
As far as their calling hours, I do beleive they extend them beyond just normal business hours, but dish being a luxury, it's up to you to appease them. Not the other way around. I'm not saying that's the best look as a customer service driven company, but if they so choose, that's how it is.

I'm sure they do not account for a number of people who wouldn't sign up at all.
Companies presume it is a 100% loss. If someone pirates a song or movie, the industry doesn't ask, "well, if you weren't able to pirate it, would you have then bought it?". If the answer is no, the industry is, in reality, out nothing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)