Yamaha vs Polk

jaylvee

Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Mukilteo
Hello there.. this is my first post in here and I wanted to get your opinion about "one" speaker solutions. My wife does not like the look of the larger speakers and do not really have the room setup for a small speaker setup. So, I was looking at the Polk Soundbar and the Yamaha versions; YSP-800 and YSP-1100.

I have read the CNet reviews which seem to say that the Yamaha's are better sounding, but I would like any of your opinions or experience with any of these products or some alternate solution.

Thanks..

Well I have neither but after many listen tests I do have a video room full of Polk and Infinity, but the only real test would be to find a local store with a listening room and to take your favorite media with you and test them both out with your ears. Also, ask your local store about their return & exchange policy so you can try them out in your actual room for a true test. I can also tell you nothing compares to quality hand (and ear) selected separates over these all-in-one miracle solutions. The may take up a bit more room and not be eye pleasing to the wife, but far better sound reproduction and generally a better value. And that's what H/T is really all about; substance and quality over style.

I echo the above sentiments...give 'em a listen and you be the judge; it's your money, and the only one you have to please is yourself. Although I am not familiar with the above speakers, I have never liked Yamaha speakers. I have an old pair of Infinity and Polk (15+ years) speakers sitting in my daughters room. Both vendors make very nice speakers and offer a variety of options.

Regarding Yamaha...I still have a 25 year old 2-channel amp/pre-amp/tuner (M-70/C-70/T-70) driving an equally aged pair of JBL Studio Monitor speakers. They components still look, and rock, like they were new. I also have an RX-2095 and RX-V3300 A/V amps. They drive several pairs of Klipsch KLFs, and a pair of Klipschorn speakers, which is why Infinity and Polks are in my daughers room. I would love to pick up the new Yamaha RX-V4700, but I have no desire to purchase their speakers.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the info. The only problem with listening to the Yamaha in the store is that it has a setup with a mic that is customized for the room that you are in. So, what may sound ok or bad in the store could be totally different when you get it home.

Yea, I am old school too.. I have a old set of Infinity RS something that I have had for over 20 yrs. And an old Denon receiver that is close to 15 yrs old. So, I am not even sure I want to go this route, but it is less trouble, just a matter if the less trouble will be worth the sacrifice in quality.

I heard the YSP at my Best Buy store, sounded great in there, but the only way for those to be tested is in your own room. The salesman told me to just buy them and try them at home and bring them back within 30 days for my money back if I did not like them. I'd take them up on that offer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)