Yankee's Crying Poor?

Well - the RedSox outbid the Yanks for Dice-K for one.

The Red Sox don't receive any funds from revenue sharing. Actually, they pay a luxury tax themselves.

That's my point, the teams that receive money don't use it to bid on the same players the Yankees are bidding on. Some don't use it at all and put it right in their pockets.

Sandra

The Red Sox don't receive any funds from revenue sharing. Actually, they pay a luxury tax themselves.
The Sox and Yankees paid the tax in 2007 (Sox: $6 MM, NYY: $23 MM). For 2008, only the Yankees will pay (this season's threshold was $155 million):

Top Five MLB Payrolls for 2008 - Baseball Salaries
1) New York Yankees: $209,081,577
2) New York Mets: $137,793,376
3) Detroit Tigers: $137,685,196
4) Boston Red Sox: $133,390,035
5) Chicago White Sox: $121,189,332

Major League Baseball Salaries Growing Unchecked - The Salary Reporter

The Sox and Yankees paid the tax in 2007 (Sox: $6 MM, NYY: $23 MM). For 2008, only the Yankees will pay (this season's threshold was $155 million):

Top Five MLB Payrolls for 2008 - Baseball Salaries
1) New York Yankees: $209,081,577
2) New York Mets: $137,793,376
3) Detroit Tigers: $137,685,196
4) Boston Red Sox: $133,390,035
5) Chicago White Sox: $121,189,332

Major League Baseball Salaries Growing Unchecked - The Salary Reporter

Do you have a list of which teams received money? I'd love to see which one drove up the bidding on Sabathia and Burnett...

Sandra

The scary thing is that while shedding massive payroll from last year to open plenty of room for this year - the Yankees will make tens of millions of additional revenue yearly now from the new Yankee Stadium. It has 2 restaurants open year-round for dining (one is a HardRock Cafe), more corporate and luxury boses, etc. The Yankees are a cash cow!

Goody, goody, more to spend on free agents! :up

The scary thing is that while shedding massive payroll from last year to open plenty of room for this year - the Yankees will make tens of millions of additional revenue yearly now from the new Yankee Stadium. It has 2 restaurants open year-round for dining (one is a HardRock Cafe), more corporate and luxury boses, etc. The Yankees are a cash cow!

And the funny thing is, Steinbrenner's overall wealth is dwarfed by some of the other owners in major league baseball. Pohland and Malone come to mind immediately as people who can buy and sell George Steinbrenner, then the next day forget they even did it.

But Steinbrenner has figured out how to generate more money from his baseball team than any of them, and luckily for Yankee fans he puts the money back into the team.

Sandra

Do you have a list of which teams received money? I'd love to see which one drove up the bidding on Sabathia and Burnett...

Sandra

The most recent info I could find is for the 2005 season. But, the Luxury Tax is not Revenue Sharing. :confused:

The Luxury Tax is also called the 'Competitive Balance Tax'. Ironically, the money from the tax isn't distributed to smaller market teams to promote competitive balance. Instead, it goes into an 'Industry Growth Fund' that MLB uses for player benefits and to promote the growth of baseball around the world. Money is distributed to smaller revenue teams, but that money comes from MLB's revenue sharing program, which is entirely separate and independent of the luxury tax.

WikiAnswers - How does the Luxury Tax work in MLB

Payors (millions)
New York Yankees $76
Boston Red Sox $52
Chicago Cubs $32
Seattle Mariners $25
New York Mets $24
Los Angeles Dodgers $20
St. Louis Cardinals $19
Chicago White Sox $18

Playing Hardball - WSJ.com
San Francisco Giants $14
Houston Astros $11
Los Angeles Angels $11
Atlanta Braves $10
Texas Rangers $.035

Payees (millions)
Tampa Bay Devil Rays $33
Toronto Blue Jays $31
Florida Marlins $31
Kansas City Royals $30
Detroit Tigers $25
Pittsburgh Pirates $25
Milwaukee Brewers $24
Minnesota Twins $22
Oakland Athletics $19
Cincinnati Reds $16
Colorado Rockies $16
Arizona Diamondbacks $13
Cleveland Indians $6.0
Philadelphia Phillies $5.8
San Diego Padres $5.7
Washington Nationals $3.9
Baltimore Orioles $2.0

The most recent info I could find is for the 2005 season. But, the Luxury Tax is not Revenue Sharing. :confused:

HA, I knew it! I seem to remember something like that from the deep, dark recesses of my mind. I'm going to nominate myself for the 'keeper of useless knowledge award'!!!

Sandra

But, maybe not as much as hoped, given our tough economic times:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3696971"]Economy affects suite sales at new New York Yankees stadium - ESPN[/ame]

No question. But whatever affects the Yankees will affect the entire industry.

Sandra
That is true, but teams with new stadiums are probably affected more than others. Luxury boxes are usually sold via multi-year contracts, and the contracts are staggered so all the boxes don't come up for renewal during the same offseason. But because of the new stadiums, the Yankees and Mets aren't trying to sell a portion of their luxury boxes, but all of them.

That is true, but teams with new stadiums are probably affected more than others. Luxury boxes are usually sold via multi-year contracts, and the contracts are staggered so all the boxes don't come up for renewal during the same offseason. But because of the new stadiums, the Yankees and Mets aren't trying to sell a portion of their luxury boxes, but all of them.

It's going to be very interesting to see if the Mets take the $20 million from Citibank for naming rights, as they had planned. Could wind up being a big issue here.

Sandra

Yeah right - you posted an outrageous comment and were wrong in your continuing disparagement of the Yankees - it was you that CAPPED the words ALWAYS and EVERY, not me. Stop the excuses, your M.O. is to do this. You also place all (again the meaning of EVERY) their fans in the same bucket (which is absurd as well).

Many teams pay players more than they are worth. Many CEOs make more than they are worth. Teachers make LESS than they are worth - and the list goes on and on.

So? Are you paid what you are worth? And who exactly determines how much a person is worth? You?

I see where this is going.....LOL!:rolleyes: Look, Yankees fans have an owner that is willing to look foolish on contracts to try to put THE BEST TEAM on the field. The Yankee fans KNOW THIS, hell, considering the Yankees track record for spending, Yankee fans EXPECT IT. Red Sox fans knows this and they EXPECT to be World Series contenders EVERY YEAR. Just like the Angels and Dodgers.....their fans EXPECT THE SAME. It's pretty black and white....there are no layers of what the teams or their fans expect.

No need to apologize or go into victim mode....hell even Yankee haters EXPECT the Yankees EVERY YEAR to go after the top names, whether they are rumored to be available or not.

THAT is the Yankees "M.O".....:rolleyes:;)

Oh and by the way, I was not WRONG, you just didn't like the answer because it was "disparagement of the Yankees"....dude, just enjoy that you HAVE an owner that is willing to take a chance to look foolish and ALWAYS try to put the best team around on the field. Not cry because someone is saying something bad about your team. I bet if the Yankees had won a World Series within the last 2 years, would you REALLY give a ratz a$$ what anyone would say?? Really??

....A sensitive Yankee fan.....NOW I have seen everything....;)

....Next, someone will be telling that Philadelphia Eagles fans are nice to Santa Claus.....;)

I see where this is going.....LOL!:rolleyes: Look, Yankees fans have an owner that is willing to look foolish on contracts to try to put THE BEST TEAM on the field. The Yankee fans KNOW THIS, hell, considering the Yankees track record for spending, Yankee fans EXPECT IT. Red Sox fans knows this and they EXPECT to be World Series contenders EVERY YEAR. Just like the Angels and Dodgers.....their fans EXPECT THE SAME. It's pretty black and white....there are no layers of what the teams or their fans expect.

No need to apologize or go into victim mode....hell even Yankee haters EXPECT the Yankees EVERY YEAR to go after the top names, whether they are rumored to be available or not.

THAT is the Yankees "M.O".....:rolleyes:;)

Oh and by the way, I was not WRONG, you just didn't like the answer because it was "disparagement of the Yankees"....dude, just enjoy that you HAVE an owner that is willing to take a chance to look foolish and ALWAYS try to put the best team around on the field. Not cry because someone is saying something bad about your team. I bet if the Yankees had won a World Series within the last 2 years, would you REALLY give a ratz a$$ what anyone would say?? Really??

....A sensitive Yankee fan.....NOW I have seen everything....;)

....Next, someone will be telling that Philadelphia Eagles fans are nice to Santa Claus.....;)

You obviously can't comprehend what we are saying, so you once again go into your usual 'scream' mode.

Sandra

Ah, the tortured soul of a Yankee hater. ;)

Sandra

Believe me...I WANT the Yankees to be good. IT is never fun to beat a team when they are not very good. I have said the same thing about the NY Knicks...not fun beating them at MSG when they suck.

Yankees haters are NEVER tortured souls. This isn's the 1930s, 40s, or 50s when they won it every other year.

...BUT if you have to say that to make ya feel better....go for it young lady!;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts