Yankee's Crying Poor?

Oh yeah....forgot those years.....would been a nice 5 straight too....'cept for that team with the low payroll put a nice stop to that....

...what WAS the name of that team.....hmmmm...???;)

The funny thing is a lot of people probably really don't remember. ;)

Sandra

Wow, I've been out of town without reliable PC access for several days.

I certainly knew what hornets nest I was poking a stick into.

It's difficult to try and get through all 200+ replies however,

My point was how could the Yankee's expect to be taken anywhere near serious with the tactic that they used.

I was thinking of the analogy of walking into a Rolls Royce dealership and and agreeing to buy a Phantom IF the dealership agrees to pay for the gas for 2 years.

If you're able to buy the Phantom do you really think someone else willl buy the gas for it?

Same thing with the Yankee's. They've proven that if you spend enough you CAN buy a title.

Why would other clubs "help" them do it by throwing more cash into their bulging pocket?

Wow, I've been out of town without reliable PC access for several days.

I certainly knew what hornets nest I was poking a stick into.

It's difficult to try and get through all 200+ replies however,

My point was how could the Yankee's expect to be taken anywhere near serious with the tactic that they used.

I was thinking of the analogy of walking into a Rolls Royce dealership and and agreeing to buy a Phantom IF the dealership agrees to pay for the gas for 2 years.

If you're able to buy the Phantom do you really think someone else willl buy the gas for it?

Same thing with the Yankee's. They've proven that if you spend enough you CAN buy a title.

Why would other clubs "help" them do it by throwing more cash into their bulging pocket?

Good point.....

I usually use the Hummer analogy myself......if you have enough to BUY a Hummer, you have NO REASON to bitch about how high the gas prices are....

Unfortunately they've also proven you can spend a lot and NOT buy a title...a lot. But as a fan I'm glad they keep trying.

Sandra

....AH....*gulp*..................................I agree.....:eek:

What the hell is happening here..suddenly we have agreed on a couple of things!!!:eek::eek:

...SOMEREWHERE, dogs and cats have moved in together.......:confused:

Unfortunately they've also proven you can spend a lot and NOT buy a title...a lot. But as a fan I'm glad they keep trying.

Sandra
Here's a MLB payroll breakdown since 2001, ranking the champions payroll and the top 3:

Champs: Arizona $81.2 million, 8th

Top 3:
Yankees, $109.8 million
Red Sox, $109.5 million
Dodgers, $109 million

Champ: Angels $61.7 million, 15th

Top 3:
Yankees, $125.9 million
Red Sox, $108.3 million
Rangers, $105.7 million

Champ: Marlins $48.7 million, 25th

Top 3:
Yankees, $152.7 million
Mets, $117.1 million
Braves, $106.2 million

Champ: Red Sox $127.3 million, 2nd

Top 3:
Yankees, $184.2 million
Red Sox
Angels, $100.5 million

Champs: White Sox $75.2 million, 13th

Top 3:
Yankees, $208.3 million
Red Sox, $123.5 million
Mets, $101.3 million

Champs: Cardinals $88.9 million, 11th

Top 3:
Yankees, $194.7 million
Red Sox, $120 million
Angels, $103.4 million

Champs: Red Sox $143 million, 2nd

Top 3:
Yankees, $189.6 million
Red Sox
Mets, $115.2 million

Champs: Phillies $98.3 million, 12th

Top 3:
Yankees, $209 million
Mets, $137.8 million
Tigers, $ 137.7 million

Here's a MLB payroll breakdown since 2001, ranking the champions payroll and the top 3:

Top 3:
Yankees, $109.8 million
Red Sox, $109.5 million
Dodgers, $109 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $125.9 million
Red Sox, $108.3 million
Rangers, $105.7 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $152.7 million
Mets, $117.1 million
Braves, $106.2 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $184.2 million
Red Sox
Angels, $100.5 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $208.3 million
Red Sox, $123.5 million
Mets, $101.3 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $194.7 million
Red Sox, $120 million
Angels, $103.4 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $189.6 million
Red Sox
Mets, $115.2 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $209 million
Mets, $137.8 million
Tigers, $ 137.7 million

LOL!! What a telling stat!

Top 3:
Yankees, $109.8 million
Red Sox, $109.5 million
Dodgers, $109 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $125.9 million
Red Sox, $108.3 million
Rangers, $105.7 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $152.7 million
Mets, $117.1 million
Braves, $106.2 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $184.2 million
Red Sox
Angels, $100.5 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $208.3 million
Red Sox, $123.5 million
Mets, $101.3 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $194.7 million
Red Sox, $120 million
Angels, $103.4 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $189.6 million
Red Sox
Mets, $115.2 million

Top 3:
Yankees, $209 million
Mets, $137.8 million
Tigers, $ 137.7 million

Lots of interesting stuff here to digest...

The only team that won twice is the only team in the top five. Everyone else is one and done.

The introduction of the luxury tax didn't seem to stop the top teams from spending at all.

The Yankee payroll hasn't gone up from 2005 to 2008. Didn't realize that. Hey George, what are you doing with all our money!!! ;)

The biggest non-Yankee disappointment on this list has to be the Tigers.

The worst contract I can think of during this time is Andruw Jones.

Sandra

What about the Mets??

The Mets are a huge disapointment, yes, but for a different reason. The way they lost two years in a row must have been torture for their fans. But the optimist says at least they were in the race right until the end.

But the serious downfall of the Tigers was swift and totally unexpected...at least by me.

Sandra

The Mets are a huge disapointment, yes, but for a different reason. The way they lost two years in a row must have been torture for their fans. But the optimist says at least they were in the race right until the end.

But the serious downfall of the Tigers was swift and totally unexpected...at least by me.

Sandra
Well, I was referring to the number of "top 3" payroll showings for the Mets and the lack of even a sniff of a championship...

Well, I was referring to the number of "top 3" payroll showings for the Mets and the lack of even a sniff of a championship...

Yes, we're using two different definitions of disappointment here. But I do think they're well on their way to addressing their needs over the winter.

Sandra

LOL!! What a telling stat!

You conveniently think that it's ok to talk about money ONLY from the payroll side - as you shrugged off earlier talk about money as in value of the Yankee franchise. You CAN'T be so naive as to think that a big part of the reason for the value of the franchise is directly releated to the roster that the team has. They are meshed at the hip actually.

So, being the most successful franchise in all of sports includes having the very marquee players thay they gladly pay for.

And no, I really don't give a rats A$$ what you think about the team. Won't change my fellings one bit. Now I'm off to better conversations than this one.

I'll say this much for the SteinBrenner's, the Yankee's are with out a doubt a major cash cow, and the Steinbrenners are at least plowing that money into the payroll instead of their pockets. I am curious though as to what the ticket prices are at the new stadium. I know everything in NY is expensive, but how much does a day at the park run?

You conveniently think that it's ok to talk about money ONLY from the payroll side - as you shrugged off earlier talk about money as in value of the Yankee franchise. You CAN'T be so naive as to think that a big part of the reason for the value of the franchise is directly releated to the roster that the team has. They are meshed at the hip actually.

So, being the most successful franchise in all of sports includes having the very marquee players thay they gladly pay for.

And no, I really don't give a rats A$$ what you think about the team. Won't change my fellings one bit. Now I'm off to better conversations than this one.

Thank you and have a nice day!:wave:wave:wave;)

I'll say this much for the SteinBrenner's, the Yankee's are with out a doubt a major cash cow, and the Steinbrenners are at least plowing that money into the payroll instead of their pockets. I am curious though as to what the ticket prices are at the new stadium. I know everything in NY is expensive, but how much does a day at the park run?

I thought I heard on the radio that tickets behind home plate started at $2,500 a piece.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts