YES Network Being Dropped? (Agreement reached 4/7)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Give it a break TONY re-read what I said and you will see how dish dropping SNY affects DTV and YES .
Exactly, Dish not serving NY area at all with Sports, Give D* and cable companys way more incentive to work out their contract disputes, Rather then take the CHEAP route and just drop them.

D* and Cable are going to benifit from Dish network bad moves, They will take their customers, Profit, Give them what they are seeking, and receive big Discout for switching tor the next 12 months.

Quite frankly DIsh should let everyone in the NY market out of their commitments, because they dropped the entire local sports options. I can't believe their isn't a fcc rule on not providing your locals.

I like Tony, He's a good guy !

But enough with the " Its not a big deal to Drop the Number 1 Market off the map" Old bit!

To not provide your customer with their local sports teams, is the number 1 mistake .
In don't care about if you claim Dish is all about Movies.

I provder with No Sports , Is not a provider!
Its a sure Death, Just like its buddy VOOM!

Directv again , is watching everything E* does, and thats more incentive to Keep YES in play!

Last edited:
Exactly, Dish not serving NY area at all with Sports, Give D* and cable companys way more incentive to work out their contract disputes, Rather then take the CHEAP route and just drop them.

D* and Cable are going to benifit from Dish network bad moves, They will take their customers, Profit, Give them what they are seeking, and receive big Discout for switching tor the next 12 months.

Quite frankly DIsh should let everyone in the NY market out of their commitments, because they dropped the entire local sports options. I can't believe their isn't a fcc rule on not providing your locals.

I like Tony, He's a good guy !

But enough with the " Its not a big deal to Drop the Number 1 Market off the map" Old bit!

To not provide your customer with their local sports teams, is the number 1 mistake .
In don't care about if you claim Dish is all about Movies.

I provder with No Sports , Is not a provider!
Its a sure Death, Just like its buddy VOOM!

Directv again , is watching everything E* does, and thats more incentive to Keep YES in play!

Its not just NY City that is affected by Dish's decision, it is the entire state of NY. Western NY (Buffalo, Rochester, etc) now have no RSN. Dish has washed their hands with the entire state. Get this though, I have friends whom are Dish Subs, tell me Charlie's right hand Jim Defranco is from Niagara Falls NY, and now his home town has no way of watching their local Hockey Team. I guess he won't be coming back for any high school or family reunions soon.

You guys are completely missing the point.

It's not dropping an entire market -- this entire thread is about one channel that only airs Yankees and NJ Nets games. Moreover, a good number of Yankees games are still aired nationally on ESPN, TBS, MLB Network or locally on MY9.

Dropping YES isn't equivalent to dropping a FOX SportsNet channel in another region, for instance. The loss of some FSN channels can result in the loss of MLB, NBA, NHL, and college sports -- so the total impact is huge. YES is going to affect just Yankees fans and NJ Nets fans, and more specifically only those fans who want to watch every single game.

It's up to DirecTV to try and determine what percentage of revenue is associated with that subset of the subscriber base, and relate that back to negotiations over subscriber fees for the channel.

Nobody wants to see YES get dropped, but at the same time I think a number of folks don't want to see DirecTV adopt a "sky's the limit" approach to keeping the channel.

Update from DIRECTV

YES Network

We're doing everything we can to close a deal by the new Thursday deadline (April 7) and are hopeful YES will remain on DIRECTV. Their threats to take down the channel are nothing more than gamesmanship to try and gain leverage in the talks. Obviously their goal is to get DIRECTV customers to pay as much as possible for their network, so these are the games that they play in negotiations. This will get resolved if YES agrees that DIRECTV should pay the same amount as the other three dominant TV providers in the market (Comcast, Time Warner & Cablevision). DIRECTV customers should not be forced to pay a penny more for YES Network.

DIRECTV plans to keep the channel up while we conclude these negotiations. However, if the channel should go dark for any reason, make no mistake that it was solely the decision of YES Network to take the channel away from DIRECTV customers.

If YES Network goes dark, MLB Extra Innings and NBA League Pass customers will continue to see Yankees and Nets games but will not have access to the YES Network feed. In most instances DIRECTV will provide the opposing team's feed for these packages. If you receive YES Network as your local RSN unfortunately these games will not be available.

Its not just NY City that is affected by Dish's decision, it is the entire state of NY. Western NY (Buffalo, Rochester, etc) now have no RSN..
I know its not only NY City

Its All of Wayne, Pike, Monroe, Countys in PA, Maybe more I just don't know off hand.
Central and Northern NJ
Most if not all Of CT!
And Mostly all of NY State!
All of Which now get NO RSN's with Dish Network!

Last edited:
You guys are completely missing the point.

It's not dropping an entire market -- this entire thread is about one channel that only airs Yankees and NJ Nets games. Moreover, a good number of Yankees games are still aired nationally on ESPN, TBS, MLB Network or locally on MY9.

Dropping YES isn't equivalent to dropping a FOX SportsNet channel in another region, for instance. The loss of some FSN channels can result in the loss of MLB, NBA, NHL, and college sports -- so the total impact is huge. YES is going to affect just Yankees fans and NJ Nets fans, and more specifically only those fans who want to watch every single game.

It's up to DirecTV to try and determine what percentage of revenue is associated with that subset of the subscriber base, and relate that back to negotiations over subscriber fees for the channel.

Nobody wants to see YES get dropped, but at the same time I think a number of folks don't want to see DirecTV adopt a "sky's the limit" approach to keeping the channel.
We weren't Talking about Directv Dropping YES

We were saying Why D* won't drop them.

We were talking about Dish Network Not having the Number 1 RSN' and then dropping the whole rest of that DMA of Sports all together

I don't think D* will drop YES , because they will work twice as hard knowing they could ham string Dish right now for dropping All NY RSN DMA!

I don't think D* will drop YES , because they will work twice as hard knowing they could ham string Dish right now for dropping All NY RSN DMA!
How does that logic even work?

The folks who have stuck it out this long with Dish and are leaving over SNY aren't going to give 2 craps about YES, because they've gone all this time without Dish ever carrying YES.

That's like saying if Dish drops the World Fishing Network then DirecTV needs to keep the Golf channel at all costs to compete against Dish. They're both sport-themed channels, but there isn't a ton of overlap in viewership. Same deal here with SNY and YES.

why wasn't availble for E* when they had extra innings?

because Dish only took the RSN's they had and remapped them. Again Charlie does the cheap route.

4SD & CSN Philly werent available due to the whole FCC loophole and MLB EI cut a crappy deal to provide those. I think Rogers Sportsnet & TSN (for the Jays) were also part of it

At one time NHL CI & NBA LP had feeds from there yet MLB EI didnt. I assume the new contract fixed that issue

How does that logic even work?

That's like saying if Dish drops the World Fishing Network then DirecTV needs to keep the Golf channel at all costs to compete against Dish. They're both sport-themed channels, but there isn't a ton of overlap in viewership. Same deal here with SNY and YES.
You need to open your eyes, What you stated is not the same.

YES and SNY are 2 channels from the same DMA

Dish Carrys 0 channels, No MSG,No MSG+,no YESand no SNY. All in the Same DMA!!

Directv is well aware of this, You think D* is going to let YES slip away because Charlie is too dumb an cheap to carry it.

NO! But now Directv can go right with the TV add's and Slam Dish.

""We carry all the NUMBER 1 DMA sports teams. And Dish not even 1 channel"""
Thats what you'll hear .

D* has all of them, So does cable!

D* is going to work extra Hard to make Dish look bad, that will effect the outcome of many channels deals.

YES and SNY are 2 channels from the same DMA
That broadcast games for different teams. Yankees are on YES, Mets are on SNY.

Directv is well aware of this, You think D* is going to let YES slip away because Charlie is too dumb an cheap to carry it.

NO! But now Directv can go right with the TV add's and Slam Dish.
If they wanted to go that route, they could have been generating those ads for the last several years when DirecTV carried YES and Dish didn't. They could have generated those ads when Dish dropped MSG last year, and the only team Dish network subscribers could really watch was the Mets.

I'm not sure why you guys keep bringing up Dish -- it's completely irrelevant in this discussion. Dish gave up on sports fans in that DMA a long time ago, and the loss of SNY was just the final nail in the coffin. This is about pricing of the channel only, and if DirecTV doesn't get a fair deal I have no question they'll drop YES. They're not going to lose marketshare to Dish, because Dish doesn't carry it either.

That broadcast games for different teams.
I'm not sure why you guys keep bringing up Dish -- it's completely irrelevant in this discussion. Dish gave up on sports fans in that DMA a long time ago, and the loss of SNY was just the final nail in the coffin. This is about pricing of the channel only, and if DirecTV doesn't get a fair deal I have no question they'll drop YES. They're not going to lose marketshare to Dish, because Dish doesn't carry it either.

Cablevision and Time Warner would love Directv to drop YES. Then they would have a stranglehold on NY.

Cablevision and Time Warner would love Directv to drop YES. Then they would have a stranglehold on NY.

exactly, Im in the NY area, and if they do drop it you will see a lot of un-happy DirecTV customers who may change providers.

Myself, I am a Yanks fan, but will NOT switch. TWC is crap IMO. Bad pic quality.

Man, it is easy to tell who here grew up in the NYC area and who didn't based on the responses.
Some of you non New Yorkers don't realize how important Baseball is in NY. It's not just a game where the team wins and you cheer, or if they lose, you say "don't worry, we'll get 'em next time".
It is life and death for many of us. It is a way of life. I know many people, myself included that don't miss a single game, and go to a lot of road games.
Taking away the YES network is taking away the ability to watch the most famous and successful sports team in US history with the largest fan base.
Not only will they piss off millions of New Yorkers, they will piss off ex-New Yorkers that live elsewhere and rely on D* to watch YES. They will also piss off people that "moved" just so that they can watch YES.
D* is know for being the carrier of choice for sports fans. I doubt they will let YES go off the air. They will lose a TON of subscribers, myself included.
I AM WILLING TO PAY MORE! DON'T MESS WITH YES!
I bought an XM radio just for a few flights a year that I take, I make sure to sit on the south facing window seats in the plane so that I don't miss a game. I keep a mini AM radio with me too just in case I am not near a TV.

For those of you who write that you can still watch some Yankee games on My9, ESPN, TBS, and FOX. You are clueless. Do you really think that hardcore fans (and there are many of them) will find that to be acceptable? You're nuts if you do!

You guys are so darned funny! Really. You all fail to see that this is only one channel that has programming that 99 out of 100 people in the market DO NOT WATCH! And then the logic saying that because a different company dropped a different channel that DirecTV will be more willing to keep a completely unrelated channel is laughable!

You guys are so darned funny! Really. You all fail to see that this is only one channel that has programming that 99 out of 100 people in the market DO NOT WATCH! And then the logic saying that because a different company dropped a different channel that DirecTV will be more willing to keep a completely unrelated channel is laughable!

exactly, As much as I love the Yanks, as does my family, we wont let YES win and change providers. We are satisfied with DirecTV.

Man, it is easy to tell who here grew up in the NYC area and who didn't based on the responses.
Some of you non New Yorkers don't realize how important Baseball is in NY. It's not just a game where the team wins and you cheer, or if they lose, you say "don't worry, we'll get 'em next time".
It is life and death for many of us. It is a way of life. I know many people, myself included that don't miss a single game, and go to a lot of road games.
Taking away the YES network is taking away the ability to watch the most famous and successful sports team in US history with the largest fan base.
Not only will they piss off millions of New Yorkers, they will piss off ex-New Yorkers that live elsewhere and rely on D* to watch YES. They will also piss off people that "moved" just so that they can watch YES.
D* is know for being the carrier of choice for sports fans. I doubt they will let YES go off the air. They will lose a TON of subscribers, myself included.
I bought an XM radio just for a few flights a year that I take, I make sure to sit on the south facing window seats in the plane so that I don't miss a game. I keep a mini AM radio with me too just in case I am not near a TV.

For those of you who write that you can still watch some Yankee games on My9, ESPN, TBS, and FOX. You are clueless. Do you really think that hardcore fans (and there are many of them) will find that to be acceptable? You're nuts if you do!

I am a die hard yanks fan, But IMO games dont matter till July, August ish. And Like said, I will no switch and let YES(Who i believe is at fault) win.

I am a die hard yanks fan, But IMO games dont matter till July, August ish. And Like said, I will no switch and let YES(Who i believe is at fault) win.
First of all EVERY game matters. Tell that to the team that missed the playoffs by 1 game because they lost a game that "didn't matter" in April.

The other thing is that many people chose DirecTv over Dish/Cable because of the excellent selection of sports programming. If you knock off the top team in the top city, then you are really hurting yourself. I am sure that Dish Network getting rid of SNY wasn't a big deal, because no real sports fan in their right mind would get Dish Network, so it's no big loss to Dish Network customers. But YES would be a loss to people that get DirecTv because of the sports.

I agree 100% that this is probably YES's fault, but I don't pay YES directly. I pay DirecTV, and eve if they are right in their argument with YES, I still want to watch YES. Really, I probably won't cancel DirecTV, I will just add cable.

But I am pretty sure that an agreement will be reached.

What age demographic do you fall into ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV Triplexer?

HR24 not receiving DirecTV Cinema/On Demand Channels under 1229

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)