Yet ANOTHER Hard Drive Failure! SICK OF IT!!!!

I've been with Dish since 2000 and have had the 921 (I bought that one), 622VIP, 722VIP, original Hopper, HWS and now the H3. I have had one hard drive failure on the HWS and that was aggravating. But I have had all the receivers pretty much out in the open with good air circulation and plugged into a good UPS so that probably helped a lot.
I think the UPS makes a big difference since the Hopper rarely goes down during power interruptions or outages.

I agree, i think anything with a hard drive benefits from a UPS. It has been a very long time I have had any drive failure on any equipment including DVRs where I've had zero since my first 622.

It would be nice if there was an option to make an external hard drive work like it does with DirecTV. If you could set it up so it replace the internal drive, you could then use an EHD with RAID, and would never have to worry about hard drive failure again.

You set a RAID device up as a mirror and connect it to a Hopper. Keep all your shows on the EHD and watch them from there. Hopper sees it as one drive and if one fails you have a backup.
So you are using the EHD as 1 drive and the internal hopper drive as the other in a Raid 1 setup?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

no check the thread linked above. there are 2 drives in the external enclosure in a RAID 1 setup. copy the files from the internal and keep everything on the external RAID 1 setup
Interesting stuff. I may try it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Um, you can use a RAID 1 setup with Dish...

I didn't say you couldn't use a RAID1 set up with Dish. I stated it would be nice if there was an option to make it work like DirecTV where a RAID EHD would replace the internal drive and totally shield me from losing data due to a hard drive failure. Without any other manual intervention by the user.

no check the thread linked above. there are 2 drives in the external enclosure in a RAID 1 setup. copy the files from the internal and keep everything on the external RAID 1 setup

Although this solution may work it is far from ideal. First you need to manually copy everything you record including all primetime anytime (if I want to ensure I do not lose anything). Then once this is done I can no longer watch anything I have recorded via Sling, or for that matter I can no longer move it to mobile device without copying back.

You set a RAID device up as a mirror and connect it to a Hopper. Keep all your shows on the EHD and watch them from there. Hopper sees it as one drive and if one fails you have a backup.
Actually you are missing the step where you must manually move every recording over to the EHD and then no longer can use Dish Anywhere to watch any of your recordings, this may work for you but I find it kludgy and not feasible.

Your point about how Directv works and it's level of protection to you is a niggle, but it's your niggle.

I personally find the ability to move back and forth a convenience in some situations. If your Directv DVR fails I thought that drive was linked to the current DVR, so installing it on a new HDDVR causes a format? I like the internal being separate, it means you can add or remove a EHD at any given time where with Directv there is no easy to to add the EHD if you have a lot of recordings on the drive, unless you watch them all first. Same thing goes with a DVR upgrade like with my Hopper. I made sure all of them were on the EHD, swapped DVR's, and then plugged it in and went about my business.

Reactions: bmetelsky
Your point about how Directv works and it's level of protection to you is a niggle, but it's your niggle.

I personally find the ability to move back and forth a convenience in some situations. If your Directv DVR fails I thought that drive was linked to the current DVR, so installing it on a new HDDVR causes a format? I like the internal being separate, it means you can add or remove a EHD at any given time where with Directv there is no easy to to add the EHD if you have a lot of recordings on the drive, unless you watch them all first. Same thing goes with a DVR upgrade like with my Hopper. I made sure all of them were on the EHD, swapped DVR's, and then plugged it in and went about my business.
I agree 100%, I was just stating that it could be a nice option. BTW, I have Dish and 2 Hoppers not Directv :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)