You think I could make my WIFI Blu Ray player feed internet into my Vip722

ouch1234

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Norman, Ok
I'm wondering if I plugged in a Ethernet cable from my Blu Ray player (which has a wireless WIFI connection) into my vip722 if it would give me a internet connection to my vip722. I just don't want to short something out by trying this. Any other suggestions would be great. I'm trying to prevent running a cable all the way from the other room. I know I can buy a wireless 3100 v2, but I'd like to save the $25.00 if I don't have to spend it.

I can see where this would be a good feature, but I've never heard of a player so equipped/rigged (to act as a hub).

Perhaps someone else knows more and will chime in.

It might be possible. I would think it would depend on the model. The only way to find out for sure is to connect the DVR to the ethernet port, and see what happens. You aren't going to hurt anything by doing so.

I was able to do it with the Sony GoogleTV Blu-ray Player, and also with the Logitech Revue. I remember doing it with another wi-fi media device that also had an enthernet port. But, I can't remember specifically what it was. (Maybe Roku?)

The main problem with connecting to the Internet this way is that the wired device will be isolated from the home network. So, even though you are connecting to the Internet, you won't be able to connect to other devices on your home network. So, you wouldn't be able to play media files from other devices via DLNA for instance. However, that generally wouldn't matter with a Dish DVR.

It's not going to work. Dish box requires a DHCP server, I've never understood why they can't allow for static or DHCP like just about any other device but they don't. your blueray would have to act as a DHCP server on the wired lan but and would also require routing funtionality to route between wired and wireless. The only exception to this would be if the wired port on the blueray could be configured in bridged mode. What you could do is purchase another wireless access point, and configure it as a bridge, even most low end units will offer this function. This will allow you to then wire your dish box to it and have it access your lan and then the internet this way. When acting as a bridge that AP will appear as a client to your other and will not serve clients on it's own. If you needed to you could even connect a switch to that AP and then feed multiple wired devices from it.

It's not going to work. Dish box requires a DHCP server, I've never understood why they can't allow for static or DHCP like just about any other device but they don't. your blueray would have to act as a DHCP server on the wired lan but and would also require routing funtionality to route between wired and wireless. The only exception to this would be if the wired port on the blueray could be configured in bridged mode. What you could do is purchase another wireless access point, and configure it as a bridge, even most low end units will offer this function. This will allow you to then wire your dish box to it and have it access your lan and then the internet this way. When acting as a bridge that AP will appear as a client to your other and will not serve clients on it's own. If you needed to you could even connect a switch to that AP and then feed multiple wired devices from it.
Not necessarily. As I said in my post, it may work, depending on his BDP, as I was able to do it with my Sony NSZ-GT1 BDP, as well as with a few other devices that had both wi-fi and wired connectivity.

hdflsts2002 said:
It's not going to work. Dish box requires a DHCP server, I've never understood why they can't allow for static or DHCP like just about any other device but they don't.

FYI I was able to assign a statc ip on my lan to my VIP 722. I know its not supposed to work bit it does.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

FYI I was able to assign a statc ip on my lan to my VIP 722. I know its not supposed to work bit it does.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Has the network options changed very recently? As of a month or two ago, there was no screen that allowed entry of an IP address Netmask, default gateway. Unless you are talking about doing a static DHCP assignment, in which case that should work, but still requires DHCP.

Thanks for the information about adding a bridged router. I finally got around, and after a few fits I got it working great. I had no idea this could be done. I have internet to everything now and lots of spare ports for future use.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)