ZDNet Article "DirecTV... Make Products Work"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RACJ2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I came across this article written by a tech with ZDNet and it raises more concerns for me about switching to D* (link below). He is complaining about personal experiences he's had with the HR20 and HR21 DVR's. I really want to get more then the 31 HD channels I have with cable, but not at the expense of always being disappointed that my program didn't record properly. I was wondering how many people are experiencing these problems vs. those that only have an occasional glitch.

DIRECTV, what about “Make the products work” and “Keep the customers happy” do you not understand? | Tech Broiler | ZDNet.com

I came across this article written by a tech with ZDNet and it raises more concerns for me about switching to D* (link below). He is complaining about personal experiences he's had with the HR20 and HR21 DVR's. I really want to get more then the 31 HD channels I have with cable, but not at the expense of always being disappointed that my program didn't record properly. I was wondering how many people are experiencing these problems vs. those that only have an occasional glitch.

DIRECTV, what about “Make the products work” and “Keep the customers happy” do you not understand? | Tech Broiler | ZDNet.com

I have a HR20-700, I have been using this model siince they came out back inAugust of "06 I think it was, maybe '07, but I think '06.
I have NEVER had it NOT record a program I had set to RECORD ..... EVER.

Sometimes you hget the people that just plain don't like the units, like most of the TIVO people back then, most of the TIVO people have figured out how it works, see NO ONE likes change, but sometimes you have to adapt.

Like I said, I've been using them since the beginning with very little trouble, D* has been making improvements to the units since day one.

I have found the unit to be very stable and reliable.

Jimbo

...and my HR20 missed more than it recorded. Its a POS to me, I will not EVER have D* in my house until that receiver line is GONE. :mad:

Some folks are like Jimbo, no problems, some folks are like me, never liked it and it never worked right, like the guy on the site you referenced.

Remember this though, you will be out a chunk of change if you get D* and don't like it. Upwards of 500.00 if you break the contract. There is NO trial period.

I would strongly reccomend trying one yourself, somewhere. Find a friend...something, anything, before you accept that two year contract.:up

Remember this though, you will be out a chunk of change if you get D* and don't like it. Upwards of 500.00 if you break the contract. There is NO trial period.

I would strongly reccomend trying one yourself, somewhere. Find a friend...something, anything, before you accept that two year contract.:up

Easy solution to this problem:
If your going with D*, your not going with them for the equipment, your going to D* for the programming.

IF your going to ANY provider for the equipment then your not using common sense.

Most go to the provider that they want for the programming and the price point.

So, if your going to go with D* you already know your in a 2 year commitment, which is not a problem at all if that is the provider you chose to want.

I am not one that will change providers on a whim ...

So, if you decide to go with D*, order a regular HD rec. if the HD is what your into. also order a HR DVR if you want the DVR stuff.
IF you decide you don't like it, or cannot get use to it, you can always swap it for a HD regular rec. and send the HD DVR back ... that is NOT going to cost you $500 stogie mentioned.

IF for some reason you decide that D* is NOT for you and you don't like anything about it, call the Customer Retention dept and let them know, they will work with you from there.

I think you have 30 days originally .... after that you'll deal with Retention dept.

It sounds to me like stogie does not like D* at all ... Do you have D* service stogie ?

Jimbo

Thanks for the replies. I have checked with a couple friends that live out of state and like Jimbo and Charper1, they said no issues. I guess my concern is that I will be the unlucky one that has an experience like the guy at ZDNet and Stogie and you could be stuck in a 2 year commitment.

The only time my HR20 ever missed a recording was because Tribune changed the guide data for one of my shows so I had to redo the series link.

IF your going to ANY provider for the equipment then your not using common sense.

I disagree. If the equipment will not allow me to watch what I want how I want it all the channels in the world won't matter. The HR20 wouldn't. So it went.

It sounds to me like stogie does not like D* at all ... Do you have D* service stogie ?Jimbo

No, I got rid of it in September 2007 when it was clear to me that D* wasn't interested in fixing the numerous issues that still are happening today. I still read here and at BSTalk and the SAME issues are happening OVER AND OVER. Same blank recordings, same missed recordings. D* says they are fixing it, but isn't a year enough? I participated in the CE process from December '06 to September '07 ( even got a SWM-5 to try, cool bit of kit, least they got that right) and it did get a BIT better, but as a stable, reliable satellite receiver, it failed. I have FTA receivers that work better and more relaibly.

But, like I always say, if you like it, knock yourself out. I didn't. I just want folks that are considering D* to know that it all isn't blue skies and green lights. ;)

Easy solution to this problem:
If your going with D*, your not going with them for the equipment, your going to D* for the programming.

So, if you decide to go with D*, order a regular HD rec. if the HD is what your into. also order a HR DVR if you want the DVR stuff.
IF you decide you don't like it, or cannot get use to it, you can always swap it for a HD regular rec. and send the HD DVR back ... that is NOT going to cost you $500 stogie mentioned.

Jimbo

I am really looking for a company that has the HD programming and reliable equipment. I honestly don't think that is an unreasonable request. I watch a lot of sports live, but record most other programs. I would be lost without reliable DVR’s. My other thought is to get D* with an HD receiver like the H23 and an Echostar over the air HD DVR that is supposed to be released in the fall. That way I could reliably record 75% of the programming we record over the air and be able to watch the HD programming that I desire. Just seems crazy that I might not be able to get both with one company.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have checked with a couple friends that live out of state and like Jimbo and Charper1, they said no issues. I guess my concern is that I will be the unlucky one that has an experience like the guy at ZDNet and Stogie and you could be stuck in a 2 year commitment.

Get the protection plan and your covered! The VAST MAJORITY of users do not have these issues; but like, everything else in life there is going to be a percentage of things that will & do go wrong for an unlucky few; and there are also some that blow things way out of proportion compared to reality out of spite (this is a general comment NOT direct and anyone that posted in this thread).

No, I got rid of it in September 2007 when it was clear to me that D* wasn't interested in fixing the numerous issues that still are happening today.

So why are you here ? In the D* forum ....

Is it nessasary to try to tell people that the EQUIPMENT doesn't work at all ?

I'm sure that where ever you went, your equipment NEVER had any trouble so your happy with it, how about the next guy ? Has he had any issues with the same equipment your using?

Of course you will invariably have trouble with some equipment, not every one will be perfect.

IF you look at the majority of the people here they have NOT had trouble, I would say maybe 5 % on the high side, have trouble. Normally D* will swap out a bad box and you'll be fine.
Do you realize how many of these boxes are out there now?

Jimbo

Get the protection plan and your covered! The VAST MAJORITY of users do not have these issues; but like, everything else in life there is going to be a percentage of things that will & do go wrong for an unlucky few; and there are also some that blow things way out of proportion compared to reality out of spite (this is a general comment NOT direct and anyone that posted in this thread).

I would probably get the protection you mentioned, just to be safe. Thanks for the advice.

We have 2 HR20-700 's, and they are great receivers! No problems that an occasional reboot wouldn't take care of.

I am really looking for a company that has the HD programming and reliable equipment. I honestly don't think that is an unreasonable request. I watch a lot of sports live, but record most other programs. I would be lost without reliable DVR’s. My other thought is to get D* with an HD receiver like the H23 and an Echostar over the air HD DVR that is supposed to be released in the fall. That way I could reliably record 75% of the programming we record over the air and be able to watch the HD programming that I desire. Just seems crazy that I might not be able to get both with one company.

Your going to pay for D* service AND DISH service , just for the chance that the D* DVR misses a recording ?
Wouldn't it be smarter to get the D* HD DVR and give it a try , and probably find that it works fine for you, than to pay out the nose for both services....

Turns out the guy who blogged the article got his problem fixed with a long service call. The problem? A bad LNB assembly.

So why are you here ? In the D* forum ....

Is it nessasary to try to tell people that the EQUIPMENT doesn't work at all ?

I'm sure that where ever you went, your equipment NEVER had any trouble so your happy with it, how about the next guy ? Has he had any issues with the same equipment your using?

Of course you will invariably have trouble with some equipment, not every one will be perfect.

IF you look at the majority of the people here they have NOT had trouble, I would say maybe 5 % on the high side, have trouble. Normally D* will swap out a bad box and you'll be fine.
Do you realize how many of these boxes are out there now?

Jimbo

Dangit Jimbo, EVERYBODY doesn't think Directv walks on water, that the service works all the time perfectly, and that the equipment is great!

And, just because I don't have a service or product currently, does NOT mean that I am not interested in it. I read about E*, Cable, BluRay ( even though I most likely will never own anything Sony the rest of my life if I can help it, the rootkit scandal did it for me).

Read my comments again. I said MY equipment didn't work. Not YOUR equipment, or anyone else's. And that Directv was not fixing the problems that I had with it. It just so happens that other folks are still having the same problems. Like it or not its an issue for a LOT of folks. So is being locked into a 2 year contract with equipment that a new customer MIGHT not like, or might NOT work for them.

I WANT Directv to be as great as the were when I paid them from 1996 to 2007. They weren't anymore to me. Their in house equipment is totally inadequate, IN MY OPINION. And charging premium money for it is inexcusable. :cool:

I've never missed a recording, but I've had some other flaws, Audio problems between SD and HD, switching channels isn't quick,and hard reboots seems to be an issue while connected to the internet. But I'll still say,these occational problems wouldn't stop me from getting D* service,they shouldn't stop you either.

Your going to pay for D* service AND DISH service , just for the chance that the D* DVR misses a recording ?
Wouldn't it be smarter to get the D* HD DVR and give it a try , and probably find that it works fine for you, than to pay out the nose for both services....

Jimbo, Echostar the parent company of Dish, will be selling this new over the air HD DVR through Sling media. They purchased them last year. There will be a one time cost to purchase it, but no monthlies. And the specualtion is that it will use the realiable DVR technology that Dish uses. I will take your suggestion to try the D* HD DVR first, but the Echostar DVR could be a backup plan. You really are an advocate for D*, so it proves there are very satisfied customers. Thanks for your feedback!

switching to dish network

the answer is very simple,if you want more HD channels than your cable company has to offer than i would switch over to dish network.their HD model 722 receiver is the most reliable satellite dvr available today.it is a much better receiver than directv's hr 20 or hr 21.dish network is slated to have as much HD programing as directv if not more by january february 2009.another factor is that directv is getting very pricey on their programing .dish network is on average 10 to 12 dollars a month less expensive than directv for basically the same programing package.i know the directv fans here will disagree but what i have stated here is true.
MAKE THE SWITCH OVER TO DISH NETWORK,IN THE LONG RUN YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)