1.2m channel master dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RidgeRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Raymond, Maine, United States
Well I have been lurking here for a bit reading up. My question is I was looking at the hh120 and I noticed with my dish that it came with what you call a cap mount, when looking at the pictures of a hh120 on sadoun the motor is clamped to the dish in a way that doesnt look like my mount. I am not sure that when I order the motor if it will come with what I need to clamp it to the dish or do I need to buy something else. I have the instruction and assembly manual for the dish so I could answer and questions about it.

Thanks for the help!
Robert

I doubt that you will be able to successfully mount a 1.2 meter Channel Master on an HH-120, or any other standard DiSEqC motor. That dish is VERY heavy, and the mount is very heavy. Also, the 1.2 meter Channel Master has a larger pole size than the 1 meter Channel Master (or the HH-120)...

You may be able to use the AZ-EL mount from a 1.0 meter Channel Master, which has a 2 3/8" mount. The HH-120 has a 2 1/8" mounting shaft, and the 1.2 meter Channel Master has (I believe) a 3" mount.

Last edited:
crap

You are 100% correct Tron!....crap! Well what are my options? I got all of this stuff brandy new it was all free surplus that was heading to the dumpster. I also have the polar mount for this dish could I purchase an acuator? I guess what I am curious on what are my options if I want to be able to move this dish to watch some KU FTA.

Even the SG2100 will work on dish up to 1.2 m but of course its all about the weight. If you can get as much weight off the dish then it will work with the motor you have no problems! Have a look at the below thread and you will see how one member managed to get a P* dish to work with an SG2100.
If you do not mind doing some modifications it should also work for you especially with the bigger motor you have!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23072&highlight=Primestar+sg2100

If you have the Channel Master polar mount then all you need is an 18" BUD actuator and you are set. I retrofitted a CM polar mount for use on my Patriot dish and it probably is the same one that you have. Of course, you will need a V-Box (does not work very well) or a receiver with a built-in positioner to run the actuator.

receivers

Well since I have a nice polor mount I just might as well purchase an 18 inch actuator. Question is I would like to get a receiver with the built in posistioning software anyone got any recomendations? I am looking to use it for FTA KU and C band in the future. Also does the supporting vendors on this site sell an 18 inch actuator and required receiver? I would also like to find a vendor in the US to make my purchase.

Best bet would probably be the VBOX II and just translate the DiSEqC commands. I've seen polar mounts and small actuator arms used with this dish on many websites, it seems to be the preferred method of moving the Channel Master 1.2's.

I'm using a 1 meter Channel Master, but its not motorized. Its fixed on G-10R :)

The problem is finding a US dealer for the V-Box II. The original V-Boxes are plentiful but have problems with holding their stored positions at times. Myself and several others on this board have had this problem and have stopped using these V-Boxes. However, to be fair, some others have used the V-Box with good results - so it's buyer beware. I am using a DVB receiver with a built-in 36 VDC positioner with good results.

parts

Ok well I will get a 18 inch actuator for the dish and I found some v-boxs on ebay...I'll take my chances I guess. I think I am going to go with the coolsat 5000 receiver seem to have read some good things on this board about them. Well that should be everything I need except for some coax!

Status
Please reply by conversation.