1.99 Extended Warranty and Free Shipping

marathon_1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Orange County, CA
I am paying 1.99 for the extended warranty. One of my 508 remotes has a bad key. I called dish requesting a replacement and Dish wants to charge my account 14.95 for shipping.

I have had auto pay on my account for the last 3 years. I was under the impression that with auto pay dish would waive shipping fees on warranty replacements. Anyway they did this in the past. Does anybody have any recent experience with this.

Second questions is I believe some warranty act requires the customer to pay for shipping to return the equipment. I find it very hard to believe it cost 14.95. I know I can stuff the remote in a USPS priority express flat rate envelope and pay 4.25. Does dish give you the option of paying return shipping yourself.

Finally last time dish did not want the remote back anyway.

Thanks

Well they probably consider the $14.95 shipping and "handling".

Edit: Also I think they charge that same amount for receiver too, and they cost that or more.

The dang shipping cost as much as the dang remote nearly. They probably wont ask for the old remote back. If you want to waive the $14.99 shipping fee then sign up for credit card or checking account autopay then they will waive it.

Trust me it does not cost $14.95 to ship it but I think they just made a standard flat fee to make it simpler whether its a receiver or a remote plus they are sending you a prepaid label to ship your remote back to them too so you have to keep that in mind. Also you can do a post exchange where you ship the remote in first then they will ship you one after they receive yours. You save on shipping but you do not get to keep your old remote.

I had to get a replacement 721 a couple a weeks ago. I have the 1.99 warranty and autopay. They waived the shipping for me. Like Boba said, try another CSR.

I'm not sure what "extended warranty" is, but I have Dish Home Protection for $5.99/mo and I've never been charged for S&H (one remote and one 8VSB replacement). Even with the $14.95 charge, you're still ahead from what I'm paying.

The only difference between the $5.99 warranty and the 1.99 warranty is the onsite service calls which are reduced to $29.00

In addition, DHPP gets Free Shipping, where as the $1.99 warranty gets free shipping only when your on autopay.

Reguardless, if you can fix your own stuff then all you need is the $1.99 protection plan since a truck roll is not necessary!

Last time I had a Dish installer at my house it was when I purchased an 811 for $150 and they insisted they send out an installer.

The installer sat on the couch and had a glass of pop while I hooked it up. I even called it in and activated it for him :D

epsilon said:
Thanks for the clarification Claude, I think I'll call in and switch.
You won't be able to do that. When dish started the DHPP they discontinued the $1.99 plan. Only those that already have it get to keep it.

Last edited:
Charged me too!

A few weeks ago, I had to replace a defective SW64 switch. I have the $1.99 plan and auto pay. They charged me $14.99 for shipping and handling also. I was unaware that with auto pay they waive the shipping fee. If this is true, I'm calling to get it taken off my bill. Lets see what CSR comes up with for an excuse this time.

I've never had to pay for shipping yet on anything. I am on CC Auto Pay. I've had a half dozen box swaps over the years due to various issues and upgrades.....

BobMurdoch said:
I've never had to pay for shipping yet on anything. I am on CC Auto Pay. I've had a half dozen box swaps over the years due to various issues and upgrades.....

Same here... Just had a 508 replaced (bad drive), no hassle at all.

NightRyder

Yup, had the $1.99 plan, and my SW64 died. I spoke with several CSR's and they all told me the same thing - before they could send a replacment switch, they had to have one of their techs check it, which was a $79 fee. They all agreed that it did sound like a bad switch and that they would replace it for free since I had the protection plan ($1.99/month). But in order to get the replacement I had to have a service call... So I upgraded to the $5.99 plan and they sent out a tech for only $29. They ended up replacing everything (switch and LNB's) with DishPro stuff since they didn't have a SW64 in stock. I was upset that they had to come out in the first place, but glad to have everything upgraded.

Pacman, that does not sound right. I never heard of them having to send a tech out in order to get something replaced under a warranty. They usually handle all of those things over the phone.

Stargazer said:
Pacman, that does not sound right.

I thought so too (boy I was mad when they told me this!!). My thought was "what good is an equipment warranty if you have to pay for a tech to come out every time equipment fails?" Now I am stuck with the $5.99/month plan or no coverage (I can't get the $1.99 plan anymore...). Oh well, I have been happy since the replacement equipment was put in and since I now have two DVR's (721 and 942), I am sure I may need the full DHPP at some point...

Speaking of the warranty and free shipping.

If you have thter $5.98 can you get a discount on those MPeg4 receviers since part of the $99 is Shipping and the on site service call?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)