1 button record!

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I think it would be nice if we could record things from the guide by pressing record once. The current method requires pressing Select on the program, then select again after highlighting "record this".

Who else would like the capability of doing that?

I like it the way it is. I don't want to record every show in the guide that I select to see the information. That's why it takes two pushes of the button.

I think it would be nice if we could record things from the guide by pressing record once. The current method requires pressing Select on the program, then select again after highlighting "record this".

Who else would like the capability of doing that?

The way this is actually fine. Why would you want to accidentally "record" something you don't want to? Two presses insures this don't happen. ;)

I agree with OP. What he's saying is that pressing record should automatically "record this." If you want more options, just hit select. As it currently stands, hitting select and hitting record do the same thing. The record button is already recessed to prevent accidental recording. Going by that logic, why does pressing record only once start recording while watching live TV then?

This is a common design of ALL DVR's I've every used including Cable Co., Dish, and TiVo. It is the nature of the beast. DVR's are designed to record a variety of ways. There is often more than one way to set recordings on just about all DVR's and it would be poor design NOT to offer the choice of type of recording to user who would press Record intuitively (my uncle always preferred to press Record) or press select that is just as intuitive. The human brain differs from person to person or from type of person to another, and this is why more ways than ONE is available to set a recording or other feature. Why then is it possible to also set a timer using the menus or display the guide using the menus instead of pressing GUIDE button? Lack of remote is one reason--but I have experienced people who have their preference, be it round-about or shortcut or the odd 4th way of setting a recording or doing anything else on the DVR, and it is all about the method that appeals to the individual. I've seen married couple do two completely different methods of operating their DVR's because they like their way. In fact, the lack of an option pop-up is far more likely to annoy than NOT having one, as in the example below:

On live TV, when one presses the RECORD button with the Hopper, it annoyingly immediately records from that point rather than provide the options to record ENTIRE program or remaining or set-up a recurring timer as on the ViP's. And my uncle also loved pressing RECORD on the current LIVE program to set-up a recurring one. I was always baffled by this as I (and his wife) press Select from the guide, but he liked his way better. Even TiVo is similarly designed and always presents the options as both Dish and TiVo DVR's are designed for SIMPLICITY of use with providing PROMPTS whenever possible so that their is NO DOUBT what the user wants. That is the sign of a well designed DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)