1.DNLA streaming quality / 2.Tivo vs 922

PrinceLeo27

Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Arizona
Hey guys,
As for the DNLA streaming video and mp3's to the 922, is the sound quality pretty good? Is there enough bass?

Can anyone tell me if they think this 922 will be better and have more features than the Tivo Premiere XL?

I just switched from dish with the 722 dvr to Cox Cable to try the Tivo Premiere. The Tivo is pretty cool and the video and sound quality are awsome! But I really don't like navigating thru the Tivo's Interface. The 922's new interface looks so cool and fun and the darker color of the interface and channel guide seem like it would be much better on my eyes than Tivo and the 722.
As far as cable, I am not happy with cox cable quality. Though I notice cable's picture is a lot sharper than Dish's.
If I were to add an amplifier/booster to the line to boost signal, do you think I could get Dish's picture quality to be much more sharper? With cox I can see the pores in people's faces so clear when in 720p output. But cox has so much pixelation and the sd channels are unwatchable.

Thanks for all your help. I really need help in deciding weather or not to switch back to dish for the 922.

If I were to add an amplifier/booster to the line to boost signal, do you think I could get Dish's picture quality to be much more sharper?

No, the signal is not analog, its digital if you try to boost the signal you wont get a picture at all.

The 922 DLNA feature is really new, video playback has only been working for the last week, but I can tell you that for me it has been working great! I have been using PlayON.TV for my DLNA server, but then I can watch shows from NBC, CBS, ESPN3 etc and it looks GREAT on my HDTV.

Thanks for the reply!

so can you stream in hd from cbs and all those you mentioned?
Do you think with google tv the 922 will have pandora/rhapsody/live365 internet radio, netflixHD amazonHD VOD YouTube, and things like this that the tivo already has?

I wonder why my cox's pq is so much sharper then.

I dont know if they are in HD or not. I don't believe they are... in fact I think the playon software converts everything to 480p currently. But that is a limitation of the PlayOn software.

I have streamed HD mkv files to my 922 and it looks great. And the stuff I have streamed from NBC and CBS (and others) for the most part have looked very good, although some of the older stuff didn't look as good. A lot of veriables there though, how were they encoded, and what kind of bandwidth you have and internet traffic conditions when your trying to watch.

Last night I watched a bunch of shows from ABC (no not our ABC here in the US) but the Australian Broadcast Company. Amazing to watch TV from the other side of the planet. :) The video quality was very good and so was the programming content. :)

With the 922 and PlayOn I have now Pandora, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube etc...

Hey scott,

can you tell me how you like the new interface over the 722? It looks like navigating through a computer screen. Seems very organized and easy to see everything. Or is it more tedious moving around the screen with the remote this way? It looks like it would be fun to navigate this way and more logical for my brain to navigate through the interface.

I haven't played with the 922 since the beta testing ended. Although I had a unit to test, once it became available Alaska was excluded from getting them.

I just tried the video streaming and had mixed results.

I have a PS3 and have a PC set up with PS3 Server and that works really well with the PS3, but didn't seem to work as well with the 922.

I installed Playon and that worked better with the 922, but not as well with the PS3.

Even though Playon worked better with the 922, I still had some freezing issues and had to stop and restart a movie. At least once I needed to reboot the 922 because it stopped reading the directory on the PC with the media.

Is anyone else having issues like this?

Thanks for the reply!

so can you stream in hd from cbs and all those you mentioned?
Do you think with google tv the 922 will have pandora/rhapsody/live365 internet radio, netflixHD amazonHD VOD YouTube, and things like this that the tivo already has?

My understanding from reading about and watching the GoogleTV demos is that it essentially overlays a Chrome web browser window over your DISH or Cable system's video output which is why the box has to be placed between your TV and your set-top box. Anything that can be displayed in a Chrome browser window to include Flash or HTML5, will be available to GoogleTV. The quality of the HD streams will depend on how good of a video chipset that GoogleTV device makers put into the boxes and the speed of your Internet.

I wonder why my cox's pq is so much sharper then.

Oh that's simple... It's all about compression my friend and amount of bits that Cox can devote to the HD picture compared to DISH. Maybe someone else can tell exactly how much more bandwidth is available to Cox compared to DISH, but it's enough to make a difference.

I dont know if they are in HD or not. I don't believe they are... in fact I think the playon software converts everything to 480p currently. But that is a limitation of the PlayOn software.

I have streamed HD mkv files to my 922 and it looks great. And the stuff I have streamed from NBC and CBS (and others) for the most part have looked very good, although some of the older stuff didn't look as good. A lot of veriables there though, how were they encoded, and what kind of bandwidth you have and internet traffic conditions when your trying to watch.

Last night I watched a bunch of shows from ABC (no not our ABC here in the US) but the Australian Broadcast Company. Amazing to watch TV from the other side of the planet. :) The video quality was very good and so was the programming content. :)

With the 922 and PlayOn I have now Pandora, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube etc...

Hello Scott I've been toying with getting the 922, unfortunately it doesn't quite appear ready to replace a reliable VIP series DVR. You piqued my interest with the ABC Australian comment. How does one find that content to watch? Thanks RT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts