1 Hopper & 2 Joey or 2 Hopper + 1 Joey Question? Please help!

Zaytron

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Hi there,
Im new to this, and looking for help/recommendations.
I initially ordered 1 hopper with 2 joeys (installation schedule for 3/31), but read that a few of you prefer the feature of having 2 hopper and 1 joeys instead, and I guess that will give you more turners and space to record.
Im a current customer and they give me all the equipment (1 H and 2 J) and installation for free (with a new 2YR Contract), and wondering if I should take one of the joeys from my order and get a 2nd hopper instead (for +$100 Lease).
I read a few post of customer complains about non been able to connect from Hopper to Hopper.
My currect setup is 3 TV: 1 Living Room, 1 Master Room , 1 Kid Room.
My plan was install the hopper in the living room and the 2 joeys in the other 2 rooms.
If I go with the 2nd Hopper (to the Master room), do I lose any feature(s)?
I'll like to be able playback in my Master Room Hopper any recording from my Living Room Hopper and vice versa, its this possible right now?
And at the same time, will like to be able to playback any recording from any of my Hoppers from the Joeys (Kid Room).
Please help. Thanks!

I would go with 2 Hoppers but it seems that Dish will not allow more Hoppers than Joeys. They may make you get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

I went with 2 hoppers and 1 joey, install is on 3/31. I left Dish in August 2011 when I moved to a rental. I contacted Dirt and Mike helped get me all set up. My thinking in doing it this way was I would have more tuners if I needed them, more recording space, a backup if 1 hopper went down, and monthly price for a hopper or a joey was the same. Sure I had a little more upfront cost but I think worth it. Only time will tell.

Yeah the lack of OTA is an issue with me but I only have two rooms I need receivers in. So I guess I have to go one Hopper and one Joey or Two Hoppers and one Joey and the Joey will rarely be used.

Hi there,
Im a current customer and they give me all the equipment (1 H and 2 J) and installation for free (with a new 2YR Contract), and wondering if I should take one of the joeys from my order and get a 2nd hopper instead (for +$100 Lease).

You better check again on that 'free' as an existing customer of Dish. There is no deal being offered that way as far as anyone can determine.

You better check again on that 'free' as an existing customer of Dish. There is no deal being offered that way as far as anyone can determine.

I did check, Im a current customer but my initial 2 years contract expired in 2008-09 (and never have any issues of late payment). I dont only got the free equipment and installation, but also the Blockbuster and the CineMax/ShowTime package for 3 months (with a 2 yrs contract with AT200) . Initially they ask me for $100 plus 2 yrs contract but I dont accept that so they transfer me to a Dish Retention agent and he was able to offer me the deal. They treat me well, I can't not complain with the service and the customer support.

Thank all you guys for your suggestions! I really like this forum, great people willing to help each other!

Last edited:
I went with 2 hoppers and 1 joey, install is on 3/31. I left Dish in August 2011 when I moved to a rental. I contacted Dirt and Mike helped get me all set up. My thinking in doing it this way was I would have more tuners if I needed them, more recording space, a backup if 1 hopper went down, and monthly price for a hopper or a joey was the same. Sure I had a little more upfront cost but I think worth it. Only time will tell.

I PM'd Mike yesterday to see if he could do the same for me (2H/1J) but no reply so far. I'll update once I hear from him...if he's not avoiding me. LOL

Thank you coach.
I like the idea of go with the 2H/1J but I'll like to be able to see everything as a whole system and not be treated as a separated DVRs (or have to set up both DVR to similar shows to be able to see those on my Master room).
Not sure how long it will take to Dish to do what people here call Hopper Integration, but based on some of the users, that may take months (up to 18 months). In my case having the 2nd Hopper (family of 3) was a plus to be able to record more struffs, and in special I rather prefer to pay $7/month for a Hopper than for a Joey, but not until everything is fully integrated. Will see, I still have a few more days before installation to evaluate!

Zaytron said:
Thank you coach.
I like the idea of go with the 2H/1J but I'll like to be able to see everything as a whole system and not be treated as a separated DVRs (or have to set up both DVR to similar shows to be able to see those on my Master room).
Not sure how long it will take to Dish to do what people here call Hopper Integration, but based on some of the users, that may take months (up to 18 months). In my case having the 2nd Hopper (family of 3) was a plus to be able to record more struffs, and in special I rather prefer to pay $7/month for a Hopper than for a Joey, but not until everything is fully integrated. Will see, I still have a few more days before installation to evaluate!

I would definetly go 2H/1J.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

There is no downside (other than upgrade cost) to going 2H/1J. In 1H/2J setup you only have 3 tuners to share on 3 TVs. With the former you get 6 tuners - the room with joey can see all 6 and hopper rooms see only 3 for now. If I were you I would just set same timers on both hoppers if its that important to have the same shows in both rooms. Then when it integrates your all ready set up.

Thank you David. You are right on that! I'll check with Dish to see if they let me change my order!
Should I call the CSR or send a PM to the DIRT here?

Definitely PM someone from Dirt. I wouldn't trust a regular CSR to handle anything to do with a Hopper Joey upgrade. From my experience the CSRs haven't been properly trained on prices. There is another thread that goes much into this much more. Also ask the Dirt member to check that your upgrade really is free if you decide to stay with a 1H/2J setup.

Zaytron said:
Hi there,
Im new to this, and looking for help/recommendations.
I initially ordered 1 hopper with 2 joeys (installation schedule for 3/31), but read that a few of you prefer the feature of having 2 hopper and 1 joeys instead, and I guess that will give you more turners and space to record.
I read a few post of customer complains about non been able to connect from Hopper to Hopper.
My currect setup is 3 TV: 1 Living Room, 1 Master Room , 1 Kid Room.
My plan was install the hopper in the living room and the 2 joeys in the other 2 rooms.
If I go with the 2nd Hopper (to the Master room), do I lose any feature(s)?
I'll like to be able playback in my Master Room Hopper any recording from my Living Room Hopper and vice versa, its this possible right now?
And at the same time, will like to be able to playback any recording from any of my Hoppers from the Joeys (Kid Room).
Please help. Thanks!

Hoppers dont link. Wont share recordings currently, but will later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)