1 Hopper and 3 Joey Install Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kristy

Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but I have an install today and the tech tells me 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys ... one tv will be mirrored??

Is this correct? One of my tvs will have to watch the same thing as the other? Someone please clarify. I thought they would all be independent.

Thanks.

The Joeys have no tuner in them. They get their feed from the Hopper which has only 3 tuners and you can only get 3 channels at a time. You could get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. That would get you 6 tuners and fix your issue. It will cost you zn extra $100 for the Hopper but the monthly charges will be the same as 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys.

If you have the Hopper and all three Joeys on then one of the receivers will have to be mirrored, or watch recorded content. Otherwise, if you don't have them all on at once (and recordings aren't occupying the tuners,) the tuners can be used as needed.

Thank you for your replies. I understand now. I was thinking wed have to watch the same thing always. If each can watch recorded shows then everything is fine. You're only sharing live which we don't watch a lot of anyway. I feel a lot better now. :)

kristy said:
Thank you for your replies. I understand now. I was thinking wed have to watch the same thing always. If each can watch recorded shows then everything is fine. You're only sharing live which we don't watch a lot of anyway. I feel a lot better now. :)

I believe this was the intended result with the hopper/joey system from the start.

Who really watches live tv anyways? Exception bring the super bowl. Lol

If you have 2 Hoppers do you have to set timers on both Hoppers? Or can you set all your timers on one Hopper and view all recordings on the other Hopper and Joeys?

If you have 2 Hoppers do you have to set timers on both Hoppers? Or can you set all your timers on one Hopper and view all recordings on the other Hopper and Joeys?
the hoppers aren't currently integrated, but will be later this year.

Right now if you want to watch the same recorded program on both hoppers, you'll have to record them on both or transfer them to an EHD.

The other alternative it to put the joey in the primary viewing area so that you can switch back and forth between hoppers in the software. The joeys can view either hopper, but the hoppers aren't able to right now.

Thanks. Can you creat new timers from a Joey? Or can a Joey just view recordings?

You can set timers and manage all the recordings from the Joey. Viewing and recording is the same between the hopper and joey. They share they same three tuners per hopper.

The box i use every day is a Joey and except for being a tad bit slower than a hopper, you can't really tell (both are very fast in general though).

Similar to the original question here, how to the tuners work? Is it just like a VIP receiver? Meaning, if I'm watching live tv on the Hopper (potentially using two tuners for picture-in-picture), and my wife goes to a Joey to watch live, do I need to switch to dual mode to free up a tuner? If there's no dual mode, will I lose picture-in-picture capability while someone is using a live tuner on a Joey? I know that the third tuner is only for the four Network channels, so it seems like with one Hopper I'd be in a VIP receiver scenario.

sparc said:
The other alternative it to put the joey in the primary viewing area so that you can switch back and forth between hoppers in the software. The joeys can view either hopper, but the hoppers aren't able to right now.

Very smart idea. Most viewed TV has access to both Hoppers. I like.

Similar to the original question here, how to the tuners work? Is it just like a VIP receiver? Meaning, if I'm watching live tv on the Hopper (potentially using two tuners for picture-in-picture), and my wife goes to a Joey to watch live, do I need to switch to dual mode to free up a tuner? If there's no dual mode, will I lose picture-in-picture capability while someone is using a live tuner on a Joey? I know that the third tuner is only for the four Network channels, so it seems like with one Hopper I'd be in a VIP receiver scenario.

A third tuner is used for PTAT, not any specific one, just one that is available. If you are doing PIP on your hopper, and it is not prime time, the third tuner works on the Joey just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)