$10 million reward for hack attack

On the second episode of Mark Rober's show, he mentioned that a group of private investigators had tracked a group of telephone scammers based in India operating in the U.S. and disrupted their operation. So why can't our law enforcement and/or intelligence communities manage to do likewise?

On the second episode of Mark Rober's show, he mentioned that a group of private investigators had tracked a group of telephone scammers based in India operating in the U.S. and disrupted their operation. So why can't our law enforcement and/or intelligence communities manage to do likewise?
Have you considered that maybe they do know whodunit? "They" are under no obligation to share what is known to them.

Maybe because they have to work within the law?

Just treat them as terrorists and bomb them.

Have you considered that maybe they do know whodunit? "They" are under no obligation to share what is known to them.
But nothing ever seems to get shut down. Hardly a day goes by I don't get a text about my Netflix and Amazon accounts being suspended, and hardly a week goes by I don't get a call about getting a 50% discount on my Xfinity subscription.

Risk an international incident because you're irritated by calls about your car warranty? I don't think so...

Modern technology has mostly replaced the boiler rooms of old with spam callers spread around the world mostly working from home. Shutting down their central servers works, but only until they bring their backup systems online. "Wack-A-Mole" comes to mind.

Risk an international incident because you're irritated by calls about your car warranty? I don't think so...

Modern technology has mostly replaced the boiler rooms of old with spam callers spread around the world mostly working from home. Shutting down their central servers works, but only until they bring their backup systems online. "Wack-A-Mole" comes to mind.
Phone companies should be able to block those call from their networks

Phone companies should be able to block those call from their networks
They can't because software exists that allows them to use any phone number they want. I've gotten a call from my own phone number befire and a 9999999999 number and know ppl that have gotten calls from numbers in their contacts so they think it's jimbo from down the street but it's really a scammer. The way they operate makes it impossible to filter the calls.

They can't because software exists that allows them to use any phone number they want. I've gotten a call from my own phone number befire and a 9999999999 number and know ppl that have gotten calls from numbers in their contacts so they think it's jimbo from down the street but it's really a scammer. The way they operate makes it impossible to filter the calls.
They could block ip calls based where they originate from...the customer cant block them for the reason you provided.( call block feature) but if the phone company turned off the offending trunk lines ( phone company makes major money from)..that would solve the issue...a trunk line is how they connect to the phone network

They could block ip calls based where they originate from...the customer cant block them for the reason you provided.( call block feature) but if the phone company turned off the offending trunk lines ( phone company makes major money from)..that would solve the issue...a trunk line is how they connect to the phone network
Many of the spammers are not using trunk lines at all for the initial contact, with calls originating from individuals working from home, often using "burner" cell phones readily available at Walmart, corner stores, etc. Only when you answer and agree to talk to a live rep do you get transferred to a call center.

A simple example, I could easily call you from a California phone number that originated from my phone in upstate NY that has an entirely different number. That call could be traced by a determined investigator, but now consider if I route that call through a series of outside the US secure VPN's, and tracing becomes infinitely harder. As I said, "Wack-A-Mole".

Many of the spammers are not using trunk lines at all for the initial contact, with calls originating from individuals working from home, often using "burner" cell phones readily available at Walmart, corner stores, etc. Only when you answer and agree to talk to a live rep do you get transferred to a call center.

A simple example, I could easily call you from a California phone number that originated from my phone in upstate NY that has an entirely different number. That call could be traced by a determined investigator, but now consider if I route that call through a series of outside the US secure VPN's, and tracing becomes infinitely harder. As I said, "Wack-A-Mole".
Yep, the only true solution to eliminate all spam calls is to not allow incoming calls from any number not in your phone book, which for some people is understandably not doable. And even then you are susceptible to a phish done by a number you know and trust. It didn’t happen to me, but I’ve seen it happen if you have your local sheriffs department number because they sometimes like to impersonate a local authority.

Yep, the only true solution to eliminate all spam calls is to not allow incoming calls from any number not in your phone book, which for some people is understandably not doable. And even then you are susceptible to a phish done by a number you know and trust. It didn’t happen to me, but I’ve seen it happen if you have your local sheriffs department number because they sometimes like to impersonate a local authority.
As you said, restricting calls to your phone book is not always doable. Due to some recent health issues, my wife and I are receiving calls fairly often from doctors and nurses, and the numbers seldom correspond to the office numbers that we have in our lists. I also receive calls from clients that don't use consistent numbers either.

Thats not going to do it..cell phone companies have software that can block spam and fake numbers...the problem seems to be mostly on landlines that phone companies want to get rid of...one solution is to forward a landline to a cell phone that has spam blocking...thats a win win for the phone companies..you pay double

Reactions: charlesrshell