10 year customer leaving this crappy service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cable is the crummiest technology around, their dvr's are horrendous!! You may think you are making a good decision, but you will come to regret it. Directv is so awesome and the the hr-34(genie) is so incredible that cable can not even start to compare to it. The directv UI is awesome, cable UI is garbage.

Cable is the crummiest technology around, their dvr's are horrendous!! You may think you are making a good decision, but you will come to regret it. Directv is so awesome and the the hr-34(genie) is so incredible that cable can not even start to compare to it. The directv UI is awesome, cable UI is garbage.

This is a matter of opinion and company as well.

Some Cable companies are much better than others, particularly same companies in different locations in the country.
One guy may have great service thru his/her company, but the company may have locations elsewhere where the service is terrible.

Yeah, it seems $20 is rather insane to switch providers over. But hey, if you think cable is better, great, go for it and be happy. I'm guessing you'll be back in a few years at most. You should get some good new customer promotions by that time.

You seem to be missing the point. It is NOT the $20... its the principle. Their equipment failed and they will replace it for "free" with more of their equipment if I pay them to do so.

If you rent/lease a car and it develops a defect and stops driving and the dealer/manufacturer offers to replace it for FREE, but only if you send them $20 to ship the free replacement part and your only option to avoid the fee required for the free replacement part is an insurance program they offer which costs $70 a year you wouldn't find it to be a bit troublesome?

I am long time faithful customer and have no fault in the equipment failure. The "simple" cost of shipping and handling should 1. not be my responsibility and 2. not be part of an attempt to extort $70 more from me every year.

I have no sympathy for you at all. It's not like DirecTV is doing anything different from their standard policy that has applied for years. No one is picking on you. You might not like the policy but it's not as if it is a secret. And no-one is "extorting " you to get the protection plan. It is a straight financial decision on your part.

I would bet if you simply called they would waive the $20. A lot of time the agent you are speaking with will not but if you call back they will.

I myself would not switch for worse service and more fees (in my area) and lose my sunday ticket over what i thought was $20 "principal"

OP has been with Directv for 10 years and this is his first post and he has posted the same thing on other message boards as his first post. Sounds like he is angry at Directv and it probably is not about the shipping and handling charge.

OP has been with Directv for 10 years and this is his first post and he has posted the same thing on other message boards as his first post. Sounds like he is angry at Directv and it probably is not about the shipping and handling charge.

Then again, after 10 years, you'd think DTV could throw the guy a bone.

If the OP is a 10 year customer and this is his first time running into this, then the Protection Plan would be a good idea.. After 10 years wear and tear are going to add up. He'll probably need a service call soon (49.95) and if he needs anymore replacement receivers and additional 19.95 a pop.
Howsomever.. if he were to ask a CSR nicely, he can get the protection plan, and the CSR could add $5 off for a few months to offset the cost.
I happen to think the protection plan is a very good deal.. it actually does cover the equipment and costs.. Unlike the the one my Cell Phone has, which covers everything except what actually happens.

Assuming that you are customer in good standing, as soon as you call to cancel your service, they will credit your account for the $20 to keep you as a customer. Guaranteed.

I would bet if you simply called they would waive the $20. A lot of time the agent you are speaking with will not but if you call back they will.

I myself would not switch for worse service and more fees (in my area) and lose my sunday ticket over what i thought was $20 "principal"

I mentioned the same thing awhile back ...

I think he's just not happy with them over other things I'd imagine and has already decided to move on, but hasn't done it yet

If he is angry about a $20 shipping fee, wait until he gets his cable bill with their higher pricing for packages, receivers and whole home dvr. Many cable co. service reps tend to be worse than Directv.

So yeah he made the right choice in switching over $20.

If he is angry about a $20 shipping fee, wait until he gets his cable bill with their higher pricing for packages, receivers and whole home dvr. Many cable co. service reps tend to be worse than Directv.

So yeah he made the right choice in switching over $20.

Around here a HD DVR on the local cable company cost $20 p/m each.

What's the Directv price for the same equipment? You need to think that and cost for what you were subscribing to on Directv.

Directv is what $6.99 for the DVR recvr programming, $ 10 for HD service , but thats good for all recvrs, not paid on each.

Don't have the exact fees here, the HD I know is $10, but the other may be slightly off.

With the Cable set up it's those prices for EACH recvr.

.....If you rent/lease a car and it develops a defect and stops driving and the dealer/manufacturer offers to replace it for FREE, but only if you send them $20 to ship the free replacement part and your only option to avoid the fee required for the free replacement part is an insurance program they offer which costs $70 a year you wouldn't find it to be a bit troublesome?.....

Actually, if you lease a car and it develops a defect AND IS UNDER WARRANTY, the dealer will repair the vehicle UNDER WARRANTY. There is not an automobile manufacturer that will replace or repair a vehicle just because is is leased, your argument has no merit. If you don't want to call and see if they will waive the $20, then pay it, get the protection plan, or switch providers. There is no principle here, it is your choice as to how to proceed.

.....If you rent/lease a car and it develops a defect and stops driving and the dealer/manufacturer offers to replace it for FREE, but only if you send them $20 to ship the free replacement part and your only option to avoid the fee required for the free replacement part is an insurance program they offer which costs $70 a year you wouldn't find it to be a bit troublesome?.....

Actually, if you lease a car and it develops a defect AND IS UNDER WARRANTY, the dealer will repair the vehicle UNDER WARRANTY. There is not an automobile manufacturer that will replace or repair a vehicle just because is is leased, your argument has no merit. If you don't want to call and see if they will waive the $20, then pay it, get the protection plan, or switch providers. There is no principle here, it is your choice as to how to proceed.

Actually this problem is "under warranty". As previously posted they ARE offering to replace it for "free" if I pay $20. I am by no means an English professor but if I have to pay $20 it is not free, it costs $20. They own it and want to replace it with more of the equipment they own as it is defective. The principle here is $20 is not FREE and the only way to avoid that free fee is to pay $70 a year. Pretty simple... if its a free replacement of their faulty equipment I shouldn't have to pay or get extorted to take a $70 a year plan to correct this issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)