$100 for Hopper + $95 for technician - is this right?

fuzzfacefrombboard

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 4, 2011
Missouri
I am a long time Dish customer with a 625 and a 722K with Top 250 programming + whatever HD Platinum is now called (BBmovie pass?) + HBO and Starz.
I chatted on Dish about getting rid of both of those recievers and upgrading to one Hopper + one Joey and was told it would be $100 for the Hopper and $95 for a tech to come out for install. Is this right? I thought upgrades were supposed to be free with top 200 and up. What did I miss?

Pricing is right. You might get them to budge on the tech fee, or worst case add the service plan and it drops the tech fee to $15 (+ $25 early term fee when you cancel the plan).

PM DIRT.

I am a long time Dish customer with a 625 and a 722K with Top 250 programming + whatever HD Platinum is now called (BBmovie pass?) + HBO and Starz.
I chatted on Dish about getting rid of both of those recievers and upgrading to one Hopper + one Joey and was told it would be $100 for the Hopper and $95 for a tech to come out for install. Is this right? I thought upgrades were supposed to be free with top 200 and up. What did I miss?
The free H/J system is for NEW customers. We long time loyal customers have to PAY for a H/J system. And you get a two year contract extension as you beta test the system for E*.

I only paid $15, for the tech visit. Mine was a "Dishin' It Up" promo since I was out of contract. I don't have the protection plan, so they may have given me the lower rate by mistake.

If you'd like I can review your account to see what is available. If you'd like me to do this just send me a PM with your account information.

depends on who you talk to.Some will say you cant get 2 hoppers 1 joey. etc. Also it depends on how long you've been with Dish. I've seen some post it Cost them 400.00 for 1 hopper 2 joeys... I got 2 hoppers $50.00 each plus 1 joey . cost for install 15.00

FuzzFace.

While the advertisement is meant for new customers only, you can negotiate for a better deal as a "valued" existing customer or a potential new customer with another provider. I have been with Dish for 4+ years with excellent credit (auto-pay). I have the Top 250 programming and the service plan. I just upgraded last month to the Hopper (1H/3J) system from 2 VIP 722 receiveres. The $100 Hopper receiver and tech visit fees (including the $15, since I have a service plan) were waived. In addition I got Showtime, HBO and BB@Home free for 3 months.. So there is room for negotiation if you get the right rep and have good credit.

So there is room for negotiation if you get the right rep and have good credit.
do you have to say the magic words like "switching to DirecTV" or get sent to their retention department?

sounds like Dish has been more flexible for some customers depending on how good a negotiator you are.

I paid $100 for my 1 Hopper and 1 Joey and $15 for the tech visit (I have the protection plan - best money you can spend) and was happy to do it. The Hopper is a major step ahead of the 722 and 211 I was using before and $115 is not unreasonable at all. I have been with Dish for 4 years and have never had a late payment etc.

I'm curious how many of you existing customers were able to take advantage of a promotion when you signed up as a new customer? I know that for some of you very long time customers that there weren't any good promotions like there are now.

I'm curious how many of you existing customers were able to take advantage of a promotion when you signed up as a new customer? I know that for some of you very long time customers that there weren't any good promotions like there are now.

I signed up in August 1998. The only promotion was do it yourself or pay an installer. I think I paid $150 or $200 for a box that contained a dish and receiver plus instructions. It also included some cable, a grounding block and wire, and a small compass.

I signed up in August 1998. The only promotion was do it yourself or pay an installer. I think I paid $150 or $200 for a box that contained a dish and receiver plus instructions. It also included some cable, a grounding block and wire, and a small compass.
Same for me. It was DIY all the way. Model 1000 receiver and D300 dish. The only freebie that I've ever received from E* was the upgrade to the D500 dish. The SD105 upgrade for locals cost me two more years under contract.

For the people who signed up 10 or more years ago I would say it's fair to get a free upgrade to the newest equipment as long as your account is in good standing. For all of those who have signed up in the last 5 or so years I would like to point out that you most likely received a great deal when you originally signed up, just the same as new customers do now. I know the system isn't perfect but the complaining gets extremely old.

I signed up in 2001 and I think the only deal I got was free installation. In 2007 when I moved I did get a DHA agreement with 18 months free service plan.

I paid $1200 for my initial dish setup, 2 6000s...

Hey that's not fair!!! I had to buy my compass separately!!! I got RIPPED OFF!!! :D

I remember when I first got DirecTV in 1997 it was DIY or installer. Plus I had to pay for the dish and receiver separately. The only "offer" was to pay for a year's worth of programming up front and you got a rebate that essentially made the equipment free.

When I switched to Dish in 2006 I got free install, no equipment fee and a rebate that if I recall came out to something like $10/mo off for programming.

For my Hopper I paid $100 and got the tech visit free (I have the protection plan)

This is how I got started in late '97. I still have that compass and have used it recently to aim WA and EA. Get this, when the D500 came out, they sent it to me FREE, for a (you sitting down?) SELF INSTALL!!! And to think, now they won't even sent a plug and play VIP upgrade for a self install under a promotion...

Hey that's not fair!!! I had to buy my compass separately!!! I got RIPPED OFF!!! :D

I hope you went with Cracker Jack edition. That's about the build quality they were!

Yeah, it's a cheapie, but does the job. Used it several times over the years mostly to aim my OTA and help others aim their OTA. I keep it in a safe place, the kitchen cabinet junk drawer. ;)

Sparch....Most definately I mentioned that I had researched DirectTV's whole home DVR system and it was a viable alternative for my needs, especially since as a "new" customer I would get ALL of my equipment and installation with $0 upfront costs. I also told them I thought it was unfortunate/unfair that both companies treat new customers better that their existing good paying customers. She transfered me to her manager (her words)/retention center; I repeated the above to the manager and he hooked me up. I didn't want to leave Dish but would have if I didn't get a "new" or "valued" customer deal.

I got it and LOVE the new Hopper system. I was on a month-to-month contract and had to sign a 2-year contract but I was Ok with that. I would have had to do the same if I had switched to DirectTV. Also, I knew I was setting myself up as a beta tester by upgrading early so I really have little complaints as they work the bugs out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts